login

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 31054 times)

Offline guspav

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2007, 11:45:21 PM »
ok boys, that's enough
nobody is a leech or parasite and I do believe LCjr has a point, though maybe this isn't the right way or place to discuss it
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:47:01 PM by guspav »

Phoenix

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2007, 10:56:49 AM »
Here are my suggestions:
-those conquistador helmest are too shiny, wonder what do they use to wash them
-why aren't there mounted troops with firearms?
MAJOR
I've played most mods for 808 and in every mod I find a great unique idea that makes me ask  myself why hasn't it been added in the other mods or in native. K here is what I think it should be added from other mods, of course after asking the people who made them for permission:
-chest locator, its very annoying when you can't find your chest
-onin no ran: love the idea of travelling swordsmen that challenge you
-battle of sicily: awesome that you can be made lord of a town and the siege system is great
-guardians party: the only mod which I know with arenas that aren't like the ones in native, also like the possibility to fight in a dessert
-firearms: most challenging mod iin my opinion, gunshots are best made from all mods and have a great variety of firearms, also love the idea that parties of peasants and farmers can join your party

tell me if missed some other great mod  :idea:
and about this mod I like that combat is faster, i mean that everyone dies from 1 or 2 hits while in native there have been times when I had to hit someone like 10 timews for him to go down. phoenix out  :D

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2007, 12:18:32 AM »
As far as I can tell, M. only gives you two ranks ... "errand boy" and "valuable assistant" (at which point the new hero joins you.)

The Mexia Empire was known for an elaborate structure of social status - that's what all of the "Eagle Warrior" and "Jaguar Warrior" orders were about.  Seems players should be able to work through those ranks.  Maybe even get a change of armor each level, to fit the new rank.  Maybe a bonus point to charisma for the higher ones.  There's not enough ranking gradations there.  Potential for hours of play there, just trying to see how many ranks you can go through.

---------------
---------------

Oh, and Phoenix: 
The duelists in ONR were historical - part of Japanese history and culture.  They would be highly out of place in Mexico.

Also, Guspav already announced that there would eventually be a system of attacking towns ... siege system or whatever.  However, that is far ahead on the to-do list.

The fast combat is the "Realistic Combat Model"  (RCM) ... Mesoamerica is the first customized port from the RCM's first appearance in ONR.  It will certainly not be the last ... most of the major mods are scheduled to convert to this system for the next versions.  I must admit, however, that the improvement to game play in Mesoamerica was actually much greater than I expected.

And yeah, we should add the fool inventory chest location flag.  Since Fisheye was helpful enough to post it, it's no big deal to add.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2007, 09:51:12 AM »
Yes military ranks will be there, maybe for the next version in which you'll be able to become either a jaguar warrior, an eagle warrior or a cuachic and get a few bonus points/skills for doing so, also eagle and jaguar armor will no longer be sold.. whew.. still a long way until this is finished, eh? :D

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2007, 06:51:43 PM »
There's always a long way to go.  You never really get "finished".  Even after version 1.0 is done, you still think of 900 things you wanted to add.  So then there are versions 1.1, and 1.6, and 2.0 ...

The good news is that each step (theoretically) makes it better.  (I say "theoretically" ... it is possible to do damage, but that should be avoidable.)

borianm

Re: Suggestions - Firearms
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2007, 05:00:56 AM »
 First I want to thank you all team for this mod. I realy have enjoied playing it.
I have little suggestion about firearms in the game - I think that 60 shots a too much especialy for that period, even two-three centuries after soldiers
normaly carried about 30 rounds... in game it makes crossbows and crossbow soldiers absolete and no need... and spanish arquebusers/musketeers of 16-th century realy carried less than 20 ready-to-load rounds in bandollier,
most standart number was 12 and soldiers ironically named it "The 12 Apostles" ... and also it could be great to show amunition on body of model using such a bandollier.   For example look the link^

http://foto.mail.ru/mail/boris.mikhailov/529/i-537.jpg

Also I think arquebuse/carbine ROF even now is too high but it may affect gameplay...

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions - Firearms
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2007, 05:57:53 AM »
First I want to thank you all team for this mod. I realy have enjoied playing it.
I have little suggestion about firearms in the game - I think that 60 shots a too much especialy for that period, even two-three centuries after soldiers
normaly carried about 30 rounds... in game it makes crossbows and crossbow soldiers absolete and no need... and spanish arquebusers/musketeers of 16-th century realy carried less than 20 ready-to-load rounds in bandollier,
most standart number was 12 and soldiers ironically named it "The 12 Apostles" ... and also it could be great to show amunition on body of model using such a bandollier.   For example look the link^

http://foto.mail.ru/mail/boris.mikhailov/529/i-537.jpg

Also I think arquebuse/carbine ROF even now is too high but it may affect gameplay...

See reply in "Combat Realism", where this was ALSO posted.

Offline Nethros

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2007, 11:10:42 PM »
I told you about this in MSN, but I'm gonna post it here too to see what other people think:

You should include some side story for one of the recruitable heroes, such as Bahati. What I mean with that is:

*SMALL SPOILERS BELOW*

Why he was imprisoned. Was it just for slavery or for something else?
What happens to him?
Does he get to fight the guy that imprisoned him? (A good way of doing this is making a scene that's just like an arena)

dulahan

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2007, 04:21:27 PM »
It might be helpful to be able to leave troops with your NPCs like in some mods (And possibly vanilla?) - especially when you need to catch those pesky noblemen and the likes that can move faster than your full army.  Or if you're supposed to be able to, then I can't and found another bug!

Duuvian

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2007, 05:14:38 PM »
I have a sort of question/suggestion: how about Llamas purchasable from the Mayans? Were they used in battle? It would give the natives a (poor) cavalry option

My other suggestion would be to reduce how common the obsidian knife is. It seems like many of the pure archer troops will have them, which is fine with me, but once in a while a veteran infantry unit will whip out his little knife, and he's toast unless he's fighting an enemy who uses that big, slow polearm, and only if he gets lucky.

Also, I play a Mexica who happens to use firearms. I use the carbine, since it reloads just a little quicker. Ive noticed its a pretty crappy weapon though, as I can usually get maybe two shots off at infantry charging my side. If you manage to hit someone, it generally wont drop them in one shot, especially if they arent bare chested. NPC gunners have the same problem, but they usually have some armor so they can take more hits than a bowman. As far as effectivness though, the native bows absolutely blow firearms away. I like it because the natives like to trade ranged fire and often die from one arrow, while the spanish are more "tank" like.  I guess I dont really have a suggestion, but I figured I'd put it in since I've seen mostly posts from the Spanish perspective.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2007, 02:09:10 AM »
ok first llamas are NOT native to mesoamerica and were never traded this far, they are animals adapted for living around the Andes mountains, Incas did use them, but  they were veeeeery far away from the mexicas (though not so far away from the southmost mayan groups, which don't appear in this mod anyway)
second, llamas could not be used as riding animals and have never been used like that, only as pack animals or as sources of meat, milk and wool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llama
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_America
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerica

If you want to discuss damage numbers, armor strength and all that, head to the combat model thread ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:12:36 AM by guspav »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2007, 04:19:24 AM »
I have a sort of question/suggestion: how about Llamas purchasable from the Mayans? Were they used in battle? It would give the natives a (poor) cavalry option

My other suggestion would be to reduce how common the obsidian knife is. It seems like many of the pure archer troops will have them, which is fine with me, but once in a while a veteran infantry unit will whip out his little knife, and he's toast unless he's fighting an enemy who uses that big, slow polearm, and only if he gets lucky.

Also, I play a Mexica who happens to use firearms. I use the carbine, since it reloads just a little quicker. Ive noticed its a pretty crappy weapon though, as I can usually get maybe two shots off at infantry charging my side. If you manage to hit someone, it generally wont drop them in one shot, especially if they arent bare chested. NPC gunners have the same problem, but they usually have some armor so they can take more hits than a bowman. As far as effectivness though, the native bows absolutely blow firearms away. I like it because the natives like to trade ranged fire and often die from one arrow, while the spanish are more "tank" like.  I guess I dont really have a suggestion, but I figured I'd put it in since I've seen mostly posts from the Spanish perspective.

Yeah ... further damage model discussion should be directed to the combat model thread.  however, since it was mentioned here, I'll put in the short answer.

In short, the gun damage numbers are very much based off of real life shooting statistics (NATO, American FBI, and others) and reports thereof, adjusted slightly for the type of weapon... should come out a little under 30% incapacitation rate on the first hit.  (Reload speed is probably a little faster than real, but that was the best the game engine could do.)  Only in arcade games do people just fall over every time you shoot them.  In reality, slightly better armor penetration is the only real advantage of early firearms, which they paid for heavily in lower rate of fire, and generally lower damage than a much larger arrowhead.  That's why this is the "realistic combat" model.

Two, the Spanish DID and are supposed to have a huge advantage in body armor, and a slight advantage in weapons (tempered slightly by the fact many Spanish weapons were designed for an anti-armor role, which did not really help them much in Mexico).  That's part of the charm of the Mesoamerica mod ... massive deliberate dissimilarity of weapons and equipment.  Other mods do more balanced combat ... this one does not.

The obsidian knives were common and traditional weapons of the Aztecs ... sometimes ceremonial, or with special family attachment.  You should expect people to carry and use them.  Do not, however, underestimate them ... they can prove quite fast and deadly, especially in a crowd where you can't concentrate on using reach against him.

And you cannot ride a llama, any better than you can ride a goat.

Phoenix

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2007, 05:03:54 AM »
k want to apologyze for my noobish suggestions since I know almost nothing about this period in history or firearms, sorry my favourite period is medieval europe around the time of the crusades especially the fourth one since then Constantinople falls right under our nose(I'm Bulgarian 8))

Duuvian

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2007, 12:46:03 PM »
Cool, I didnt know that, thanks for educating me. Next time I try to ride a Llama I'll know why people  laugh  ;)

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2007, 02:52:10 PM »
I wouldn't advise you to ride a llama if you're over 40kg  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:45:24 PM by guspav »