Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 26544 times)

Offline guspav

• View Profile
Suggestions
« on: February 01, 2007, 06:38:34 PM »
Is the mod missing something?
If you think so, post it here and I'll seriously take it into account.

Please note that I am trying to make the mod more or less historically accurate, so don't expect me to include AK-47s or something (yeah, I know shooting indians turns some of you on, but please stick to the arquebuses, people!)

messenger

Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 03:24:30 AM »
How about bigger parties?

emperor77

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 11:43:59 AM »
Bigger parties would be very nice.

messenger

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 12:57:21 PM »
Perhaps you could put in formations for the pikemen, that would make them practical.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 07:10:17 PM »
bigger parties? like how much bigger? are you sure you'd like to fight armies of 200+ soldiers? battles will take a long time that way, personally I think it'd be boring (like when fighting those massive armies in the last days mod) but might as well try it out a bit

oh and  I haven't got a clue how to make formations, I know it's somewhat possible (if limited), but I don't know how effective they are since they aren't part of the m&b engine

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 07:58:38 AM »

I have been working on a combat rescale for Onin-no-Ran, that greatly increases the realism and tactical depth of M&B combat.  It is scheduled for release there in the next version (probably soon).  It is a simple rescale that better reflects actual combat - the numbers balance to about 50 to 65 points of damage for longsword-class blades, with matching armor values.  Both the Holy War mod and ASLOW also plan to implement variants of this model, and there are volunteers to convert TLD as soon as the appropriate code is provided.  So far, the vote has been unanimous that these changes improve the game.

I would like to know if anyone on this project would be interested in such a conversion.  I have some time at the moment, and could probably do much of the actual work - provided I had the necessary files, and a number of people to help with testing and bug-hunting.

I think this mod is really cool - there has been so little done on the neolithic weapons of the Americas.  Although I have never actually tried to fight with the Aztec weapons, I know something about them... and they offer an interesting challenge to gameplay, if carefully modeled.

Ron Losey

emperor77

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 10:33:36 AM »
bigger parties? like how much bigger? are you sure you'd like to fight armies of 200+ soldiers? battles will take a long time that way, personally I think it'd be boring (like when fighting those massive armies in the last days mod) but might as well try it out a bit

oh and  I haven't got a clue how to make formations, I know it's somewhat possible (if limited), but I don't know how effective they are since they aren't part of the m&b engine
Yes i would like that. You don't always have to lead the battle if you are bored.

Riptokus

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 02:46:53 PM »
Anything that has your archers stay back from the fighting will be VERY effective, expecially if you can force your melee units in the way of the enemy and the archers. I usually try to do this manually in my big fights, and it's a pain and doesn't work very well because "Stay here" in game terms means "Mob in this general area"

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 05:51:01 PM »
ok ok, I'll look into the formations thingy, but won't promise anything, I am having enough trouble as it is porting the mod to 0.808  :green:

hmm like I said I'll try out higher troop numbers and discuss that with my beta testers, if we all like it it'll stay if not, then forget it... if a lot of people want bigger parties I could simply release a high party version and a low party version, but we'll see that isn't one of my priorities for now.

about the conversion, you're proposing, Ron, is it about  scaiing weapon damage up to make weapons deadlier? if it adds depth to the game and increases the fun of it I'm all for it, but if it is just to make it "realistic" I don't think I'd be very interested, since it's already pretty frustrating when being knocked out by a single arrow (that's why I didn't like star wars mod that much)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »

Well, ONR is about to release an operational version of this.  I can get the test version to anybody who wants to try it, but my test team have all agreed that it is an amazing improvement.  ("My test team" ... I'm no programmer, and most of my "test team" are considered gods of the mod community, so the use of possessives here is greatly misplaced.)

Weapons are "deadlier", if you get hit totally without armor, yes.  However, accuracy and speed adjustments, plus armor values that somewhat reflect the difficulty of cutting steel, tend to re-balance the effect.

It's no more frustrating than having to hit the guy 5 or 6 times with a huge sword, while he beats on you with a club and his friend shoots at you with arrows.  Requires different tactics, yes.  However, removing "weapon inflation" and letting people fight with normal-size weapons and still expect some results - it's well worth it.

============

And of course, the big bonus here is that I'm volunteering to do most of the work.  All I need is the files, and a couple of volunteers to help me test it.  If, after the project, the vote is against it - very little loss.  Added bonus is that, since I just finished a version of this for ONR, I can probably make most of the changes in a few hours.

E-mail me the Python script, and I'll take a look at it.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 07:57:12 PM »
ok what files do you need? just the items files?
now,I won't email anything right now (will do very soon) because I still need to clean them up a bit.. and the mod isn't running properly yet :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:11:20 PM by guspav »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 08:19:22 PM »
Just put everything in the module system folder into a .zip file, and send it.  That way, I can make the changes, press build, test it, make changes and try again.

If there are bugs unrelated to the combat engine, it doesn't matter ... as long as you don't need to change any item properties.  I'll make changes and send in the module_items.py file, and you can rebuild the rest at your leisure.

Then, of course, I'll need some testers - I can just mail them each new version of the item_kinds1.txt file, which they can plug in to the most recent release and play.

Plus a little historical data and preferences.  I'll put that in a new thread, and see what happens.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:51:49 PM by Ron Losey »

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 08:38:35 PM »
just sent you the files, enjoy the mod and your experiments :)

bryce

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 03:33:46 PM »
It would be interesting if you played for quite a while (maybe 2 months?) before the spanish came.

Then have new equipment available over time so you can compete with them and maybe be able to train up some natives as musketeers even....

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 06:57:31 PM »
ah total history bending you say? like a what if scenario? hmm that sounds very interesting, I don't know how much of a pain it'll be though, but yeah it's a good idea