login

Author Topic: Progress report thread  (Read 59200 times)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Progress report thread
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 07:52:07 AM »
(Schools in China take a long winter break, but it's not forever.)

You are from China? How long is the winter break? In Estonia it is only 2 weeks.

Kind of off topic, but:

I'm not exactly "from" China ... I was born in Claremore, Oklahoma, central United States.  I've lived and worked in China for a lot of years now - I teach Western Culture studies and Comparative Civilizations, mostly to university undergraduates.

Chinese New Year tends to shut the whole country down for a couple of weeks.  School is out from early to mid Jan. to usually near the first of March, plus or minus a bit depending on exactly when the Lunar New Year falls on the solar calendar.  Chinese Lunar New Year is the biggest festival in Asia - everybody from the president of the country to the poorest farmer on the backside of the desert will be visiting their family.  Nowhere in the European culture has anything like it.

If you're in China and you're not Chinese, you spend weeks being bored out of your head...  which is why I've been putting so much time on these mods this month.

-------------------------------------------
Note on behalf of the management:

People:
Can we keep things somewhat on-topic on these threads?  I mean, that's what personal messages and e-mail are for - asking questions that do not need to be in the forums.  That, or start an off-topic thread.  I'm all for off-topic and personal conversations, but they don't need to clutter up threads where we were talking about something entirely technical like finding time and people to beta-test the next release of this mod.  Put stuff where it belongs.  It's hard enough to find the information you need already.

Thanks.

I might have encouraged that by trying to clarify my schedule, but still....

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 08:39:52 AM »
I totally agree, Ron, I'll leave emperor77's post and yours intact to make that point more apparent
any other attempts of hijacking a technical thread will be deleted
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:53:34 AM by guspav »

Riptokus

Hi Jack!
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »
Hi Jack!
guspav: ROAR, prepare to be banned and deleted! j/k
Now for some seriousness.

The top secret project, "Rick James" Is coming along nicely, and when your little Mexica populace want to through a party, soon they will be able to find "Angry Frowning Noble" sitting in "Rick James". Confined there by the invading spanish ;)

Rocks away!

Oh, and "Rick James" Screenshots will be available as soon as I am sure what I got is the final form. Guspav is reviewing the roughout now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:08:14 PM by guspav »

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 07:00:13 PM »

Wow! I am impressed, Rick James really looks handsome and like he should (I think)
I think I'll leave you in charge of similar projects if you don't mind.. and if you have the time

Riptokus

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 10:28:34 PM »
Cool Beans!

Here's Screenshot #1 of "Rick James"

Anyone who knows what "Rick James" is and thinks I did a bad job, go bite yourself. Everyone else who figures it out and sees something that doesn't fit with our meger knowledge of "Rick James" is free to tell me what's wrong, and I'll do my damndest to change it to your suggestions to make it even more accurate.

Some of the accuracies used:

Quahuitls for sizing it, with the base of 20 being the primary thought for setting the size.
Quahuitls were set to be 8.2021', based on the most accurate data I had of it.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 01:09:13 AM »
very pretty :) I can't wait to include that palace in the mod

btw just played a while with the spaniards, found a really old bug (ages ago i forgot a "_" and didn't notice until now hahaha)
All of Cortes' quests are working beautifully, After the alliance with the tlaxcaltecs, spanish players will start getting tlaxcaltec quests (like they should if I hadn't forgoten that "_" haha)
YAY
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:14:06 AM by guspav »

emperor77

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 11:04:29 PM »
NO PROGRESS SINCE THE 15TH ?!?!?!?!??!!?!?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 11:47:26 PM »
NO PROGRESS SINCE THE 15TH ?!?!?!?!??!!?!?

Beta testing takes time.  Especially when one of the beta testers (me) is trying to debug four different mods/betas and work on two other projects at the same time.

Speaking of which, except for the little text glitch with generals if you join the fight late, and the ever present jaguar tail bug, it looks good.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 09:38:38 AM »
some small bug fixes hee and there, if you don't believe me, take a look at the bug report thread :D

I think the mod is finally reaching a releasable state
some more beta testing won't harm anyone, though

Apollon-04

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 10:29:57 PM »
I'm trying to beta test, its a little hard with my wrist ( I broke it a week ago) but Im trying to help with fiinding bugs, If theres anything else I can do, I have enough free time to work on it, and recently have learned how to mod a little bit better.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 10:35:46 PM »
I'm trying to beta test, its a little hard with my wrist ( I broke it a week ago) but Im trying to help with fiinding bugs, If theres anything else I can do, I have enough free time to work on it, and recently have learned how to mod a little bit better.

For my part on the realistic combat model, I'm interested to know how the long-term balance comes out.  Particularly, is it possible to win playing as the indigenous peoples, or does the armor completely off-balance it.  (It should be difficult - historically the Spanish won - but not utterly impossible.)  I played with this some, but since I know the model and tactics, I'm afraid my test is going to be difficult for most people to replicate.

willie_feo

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 08:50:43 PM »
I would love to play this mod.  I've been fascinated with the Conquest of Mexico since I was a small boy and read my Dad's Classics Illustrated version of Diaz's account.  However, my M&B is 0.808 and the latest MesoAmerican mod version is for 0.751. 

Please tell me that either (a) I can use the 0.751 version with my 0.808 M&B or (b) you are feverishly working around the clock to bring the MA Mod up to spec for .808

Muchas gracias, Senores!

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 10:26:17 PM »
I would love to play this mod.  I've been fascinated with the Conquest of Mexico since I was a small boy and read my Dad's Classics Illustrated version of Diaz's account.  However, my M&B is 0.808 and the latest MesoAmerican mod version is for 0.751. 

Please tell me that either (a) I can use the 0.751 version with my 0.808 M&B or (b) you are feverishly working around the clock to bring the MA Mod up to spec for .808

Muchas gracias, Senores!

The version for .808 is in beta right now.  It is the one being discussed in the bug reports threads, and is very nearly ready for release.  It will include the conversion to the now quite well-known "realistic combat model", which is becoming the standard of the historical mods... as soon as we confirm that the desired game balance (or lack thereof) is not adversely affected.  The other little bugs are becoming fewer, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

How feverishly we are working on it is up for debate....  My time is divided among at least 6 projects involving the RCM, all of which are waiting on my input - I've put a lot less time into Mesoamerica than it deserves.  As was just mentioned, one of our other beta testers has a broken wrist.  One other is also testing the RCM retrofit to Native, in consideration of its use for yet more mods.  When I have to go back to work in a couple of days, it's going to cut into my time to contribute.  Guspav is trying very hard to get this thing ready for a release, but the project as a whole is greatly short on manpower.

Offline guspav

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 09:28:49 AM »
I know, Ron you're only responding to emperor, but since this kind of behaviour has already been warned against, both posts were deleted.
This thread is NOT for discussing your personal lives

On a side note I have been redisigning some weapons, since their models were pretty dirty and high poly (spanish swords)
I am also struggling with those scabbards, I can't seem to be able to import them to brfedit properly (following the tutorials), can someone give me a hand with that?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 09:38:06 AM by guspav »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 11:26:31 PM »
I kind of figured the whole "This is not a 24 hour a day job, and it's not the only thing we do with our lives" routine was a good thing to post in a progress reports thread.  A lot of people forget that, and have to be reminded from time to time.

Progress report:  Progress is slow, because persons X, Y, and Z are busy, disabled, or missing, and we're very short of manpower.

--------------------------

Not only am I no help with scabbards, I don't even know who is.  ONR is also on hold on that point, until more people figure out how it's done.  Most of the other mods have skipped that point for the first-round .808 versions.

I can't get BRFEdit to work half the time.  If everything isn't perfect, it crashes.  When it works, it's great ... but that's not often.

Probably should put together the next release BEFORE worrying about the scabbards, and deal with them when nothing else is going on.  It's likely to take a while to get them really working right.