Author Topic: New Interface suggestion (Revan Shan and mine)  (Read 6478 times)

Offline Swyter

• Administrator
  • �Star Wars Conquest Dev Team Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • [my tiny homepage]
New Interface suggestion (Revan Shan and mine)
« on: January 05, 2010, 03:39:48 pm »
Hi there, as I'm currently without work  :) (no animation request, etc...) Revan Shan and me where thinking about upgrading the interface to make it a little more "Starwish"

BTW, I have made a font some days ago and I want to share it with everyone:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ljjtyzjndit

I have only made an early concept of the final result with the files that Revan's sent me:

The font that you see in the pic is the same that the mediafire's zip, the main problem in M&B UI editing is the font color, currently I can't change the color to a more lighter one (light blue, white, etc) in the menus, buttons and somewhere else... :!:

Comments and suggestions are welcome   :D
My Mount&Blade Tools: � Iron Launcher for Warband � Iron Launcher � Font Customiser � WarKit

Adraz Rhua

Re: New Interface suggestion (Revan Shan and mine)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 03:41:22 pm »
Love it :D!

But personally i prefer the gold logo, the red is a bit... Rebel bias? :P

Offline Swyter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • [my tiny homepage]
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 03:46:31 pm »
Love it :D!

But personally i prefer the gold logo, the red is a bit... Rebel bias? :P

He he, another logo change? I made this logo some months ago, and we're still with the first one  :P  More work... new UI, new logo, new anims... Anything else?  :)
My Mount&Blade Tools: � Iron Launcher for Warband � Iron Launcher � Font Customiser � WarKit

Adraz Rhua

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 03:58:28 pm »
i wasn't critiscising anything, i just preferred the old logo that was used a couple of releases ago  ::)

no need to change it though, my opinion should be unimportant, just saying i love the new... background :P

Offline HokieBT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:16:49 pm »

looks good, nice work!    I think you might be able to switch the font color by modifying the font.dds itself?  I remember I did a test of putting a red X through the font texture and remember seeing the red in game.

FYI - I've been busy but will try and reply to PM's later tonight, etc.

Revan Shan

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:28:11 am »
Defitinely. It looks awesome. Just how it should.

By the way Swyter, are you Spanish? Cause I am and we speak in English to each other...

Offline Vector

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 04:54:33 am »
Looks great, nice work guys.

Offline Swyter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • [my tiny homepage]
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:34:30 am »
By the way Swyter, are you Spanish? Cause I am and we speak in English to each other...

he he  ;) this is very funny, take an eye here... http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,89290.msg2316032.html
Or here http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,67313.msg2312007.html#msg2312007

And yes, Did you think really that I was a native english speaker? With my "wierd english constructions"
 ;)

Revan Shan

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 11:50:29 am »

he he  ;) this is very funny, take an eye here... http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,89290.msg2316032.html
Or here http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,67313.msg2312007.html#msg2312007

And yes, Did you think really that I was a native english speaker? With my "wierd english constructions"
 ;)

I know native poeple with moch more weird ones.

Adraz Rhua

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 03:51:35 pm »
tell me about it... half our British population can't talk properly, let alone type properly *withholds political feelings and argument about the state of the UK*... still love the menu! :D

Offline HokieBT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 05:21:29 pm »

oh, in addition to trying to change the color of the font.dds itself, you can also modify some of the colors in the game_variables.txt file.  So depending on how we modify the interface, some of these may have to be modified as well...  Search for color in that file:

char_b_skills_base_text_color = 0xFF003300
char_b_skills_base_highlight_text_color = 0xFF00AA00
etc...

Revan Shan

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 03:02:48 am »
The colour we should try to get is white with black border. It's for ezample the one used for the upcoming BF 3.

Offline HokieBT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 09:36:52 am »
Black with white text would look pretty cool, but I was doing some testing and it may not be all that easy.  I must have been wrong about just being able to change the font.dds, because I made an all white font.dds and bg2.dds to try and have an all white text and background.  But as you can see in game most of the font still goes to black.  I believe this is because a shader is being applied to the fonts, because I found some like font_uniform_color, font_outline, font_background, etc, in core_shaders.brf.  Or maybe its controlled by the material itself, since there is a ui_font, ui_overlay_font, etc, in core_materials.brf.  We could ship custom core files thanks to Swyter's iron launcher, but I don't have any clue how to modify a shader so somebody else would have to look into that...

I think the best and easiest would just be to stick with the black text color, and use something similar to the blue that you guys created above.  I think the blue looks good, but I might suggest making it a little less white/bright, since it seems to be too bright when you stare at it for a while. Also, the highlight color is tough to see, but we could probably change this from green to another color.   I also tried doing an inverse of the blue texture and ended up with a red background color that was pretty cool (ignore the bad font) but the pictures that are overlayed when you are waiting blend in a little better to the blue, so might make sense to stick with that.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:38:26 am by HokieBT »

Revan Shan

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 10:37:50 am »
The red is cool, no doubt. But the reason we used blue was that starwars, ans specially the battlefront series, tend to use it. It's the most starwarsy.

Offline Vector

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 10:55:03 am »
I have to say i do prefer the blue interface, how ever maybe change the highlight colour to a darkred or a similar contrast colour.
The contrast looks great between the red logo and blue background of the interface, maybe keep that visual colour theme through out.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:57:57 am by Vector »