login

Author Topic: Bug Reports for 0.6.6  (Read 56426 times)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bug Reports for 0.6.6
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2010, 09:24:19 AM »
My point being that if use of non-lethal force was hurting your chances of reliably winning the fights (or doing so without cost-prohibitive casualties), it would be cheaper to go to a weapon that was known to be effective and pass up a few prisoners.  Non-lethal force and deliberately taking large numbers of prisoners is a luxury you may not always get - it requires using less efficient and less reliable weapons.

That was another part of my "realistic combat model" - that attempting a non-lethal solution is generally less efficient.  Non-lethal and high stopping power don't generally go together very well, or if they do, then they have to give up some other desirable quality such as speed or reach.  Likewise, anti-armor weapons usually make much smaller holes than things designed to slice your opponent in half.  That's just physics, and the reality of having to choose a weapon and live with the consequences of that choice. 

Wundai

« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2010, 01:03:49 PM »
Hanshiro, you must have a nice army going up against others 3 times your size ;)

As for my rank, it is called "NO STRING" and when I try to ask it to a retainer the game freezes, another dialogue bug :(

Well beating all the mountain bandits in the Enryaku-Ji Quest is already proving to be difficult, so the challenges faced are very nice :)

I think attacking cities would make the game (more)complete, since you can also fight in towns already(more or less, you have a battle with some villagers, but its inside the town anyway hehe)

EDIT: By the way Ron, I see Fujiwara's last activity dates back from December 2009, 6 months of not being on this forum, with personal problems in mind, I presume he has stopped alltogether then, or did he still have contact with you about Onin No Ran in other ways?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:02:14 PM by Wundai »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
All I know for sure was that Fujiwara specifically expressed a desire to get back to ONR as soon as he could.  I have no reason to doubt that.  However, I do know that from the nature of his current problems (as last reported), he's probably in a world of hurt (primarily economic).  So a year or more of delay was sort of expected.

And yes, urban combat, including defense of the city walls, was planned ... but was, at last check, far from being ready to implement.

Well-trained warriors should be able to take on a force 2 to 3 times their size, if the opposing force is largely composed of rabble.  Heavy horse against infantry is particularly one-sided, as are skilled archers used from tight formation.  Light horse - mounted archers - can also put the hurt to a much larger infantry-based force, if you have enough of them, and if they will keep their distance.

Wundai

« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2010, 12:50:33 PM »
I see thanks for the info, a shame about Fujiwara's current position, I wish him all the best

Will check vanilla M&B for a moment, just found out there is a Samurai armour and Katana hidden in Rivacheg  :?:, and the katana is shiny with reflections of the world, like a mirror, have you ever thought of adding reflections to weapons of ONR? I know its actually a question for Ichimonji, but he's not around always :)

HanshiroTsugumo

« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2010, 07:12:23 PM »
Well-trained warriors should be able to take on a force 2 to 3 times their size, if the opposing force is largely composed of rabble.  Heavy horse against infantry is particularly one-sided, as are skilled archers used from tight formation.  Light horse - mounted archers - can also put the hurt to a much larger infantry-based force, if you have enough of them, and if they will keep their distance.

Hanshiro, you must have a nice army going up against others 3 times your size ;)

Today I beat a 264 head Yamana patrol with my 40 men, then an other patrol with 292 men. Later I defeated a 280 head Yamana army and freed about 30 samurai, but (I dont know why) these units cannot be upgraded, so I decided to expend them because of the huge morale penalty.. I destroyed about 10 huge armies (250-350 men), and a 540 head forest bandit army with the help of a Hosokawa patrol (220 men). It's difficult, but not impossible. Now my rank is Kigiyoko-no-Keibihei (5th) with 2400 renown and 1461 faction points. :)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2010, 07:21:07 PM »
The chrome-like polished stainless look is certainly not Japanese.  It's what you see on cheap stainless wallhangers, chrome truck bumpers and mirrors.

The blades in ONR have the iron shader set to max, so they do reflect light sources, but in a more realistic way.  (Thanks to mtarini for the specialty shader that lets us do both reflective surfaces and cutouts on the same object.)  The coloration pattern is designed to work with this, to give the appearance of temper lines and grain, without using textures so large as to crash the computer (which is easier than you might think, with a couple hundred of those on the field, and since we can't use mipmaps with those specialized shaders).  It took a lot of work (my work) to get that right.  Note that you do have to be using DX9 shaders - the DX7 rendition is less than impressive.

Anyway, no, that is not a bug.  It's just where we want it.  I actually tried just turning down the reflectance on the super-shiny shader, and it did not get the desired effect either.  And I refuse to send my samurai into battle armed with chrome truck bumpers.

------------------------------------------

The samurai who could not be upgraded were originally from neutral locations.  It was a known issue.  The latest versions - i.e. my work file for ONR for .90x - have a completely reworked troop tree, so the point is moot.  (You don't, however, want that work file ... the new troop tree requires a whole new set of outfitter commands such that you have to pay for gear to upgrade guys in shirts to armored troops ... and the outfitter script is not yet in place, so none of the samurai can be upgraded to the next level.)

The new work file also contains all the new crossbows, new low-end armor items, and a bunch of other stuff that has not yet been released.

Wundai

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
Good news!

I still use DX7 because I was afraid the Specular Bug would appear again(I used the fix on the 1.010 version but it didn't work, maybe it will for 9.30). But if you say in DX9 there are some reflections going on also on the weapons, I will check that ofcourse :)

HanshiroTsugumo

« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2010, 05:50:25 PM »
The samurai who could not be upgraded were originally from neutral locations.

By now their souls took the road towards a new birth, while I rise into higher rank as a Chuu-no-Keibihei (6th) with my 3200 renown. What a pity I can't keep large army because of the morale penalty.. I have about 50 good men beside me still now against the 350-500 head armies, though I could employ even 150 men.

By the way I tried the shoen-system and it works well as far as I can see. I don't know whether it should operate, but by September the price of land went down, and then increased again after the beginning of the autumn harvest. I bought 50 from the shares of the Kameyama shoen. ;)

@Wundai, maybe you should start a new game on the side of the Hosokawa. For me everything works well with them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 05:56:18 PM by HanshiroTsugumo »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2010, 07:21:27 PM »
If you're using 9.0x and get the specular alpha error message, you can download the correct file from the repository.  Just read the instructions - you have to put the thing in the M&B root directory, not the ONR directory.  (And no, it won't hurt anything else, if used with the right version.)

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=730

I promise that part works just fine in M&B .903 ... and actually looks very realistic under most lighting conditions.  If you've been using the DX7 shaders, you also missed the cutouts in the tsuba (handguards) on the swords.  Look at them close when you switch to DX9 - they're pretty cool.

Wundai

« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2010, 01:31:44 AM »
YES! :D

Awesome how everything looks now, the Tsuba's, the lighting, thats an awesome job you did Ron!

@Hanshiro, thanks mate. I could also try allying myself with the Hosokawa in the current game, to see how that works :)

Ah its such a great mod

Wundai

« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2010, 02:01:53 AM »
Hmm, got a letter for the Hosokawa, but when arriving in Sout Kyoto, I can only get Hosokawa Katsumoto to "tell something about himself" so he shows his stats. i guess I cannot change clans anymore.

Ron is their any coding or text file trick I can start a new game and export the current character with levels and armour to that new game?

First I thought it was import/export character, but that function doesn't work unfortunatly.

Thanks again for the help your giving me :)

HanshiroTsugumo

« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2010, 04:52:55 AM »
Sell everything you have, then use the export character icon in the character/statistic menu. After this you should start a new game and import your old char with all the money you had, but without any of your old stuffs. It works, I tested it. Losing an armor and some weapon is nothing.. since I imported my lv17 char I earned millions. Now all my 13 henchmen use fine armors, most of them have Tsubo Sode Do-Maru or O-Sode Do-Maru, one of them even have an armored horse, which costs 400.000 mon.

Wundai

« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2010, 06:28:49 AM »
Really? Okay I will try that, last time I tried export character though, it exported. But later when I tried to import in ONR it said it couldn't find any characters to import.

Wundai

« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2010, 10:05:21 PM »
Thanks! It worked, I just needed to input the same name :)

Btw would this be a nice Onin No Ran Startup Screen? Hehe.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1657/mbenb.jpg

I didn't use photoshop by the way, this is ingame (ENBSeries Graphical Mod)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2010, 12:56:30 AM »
I couldn't get the picture to work for me ... internet in China right now is fried, from all the recent flood damage, and so not everything works and what does work is absurdly slow.

But note that the mounted archer we were using in black and white was from an Onin War period ink-block print, and the color picture of a samurai on a horse near a river from a painted scroll of the same period.  Both of those originals are extremely rare pieces, and it is considered extremely fortunate to historians that they have survived.  I'm not sure anyone was wanting a replacement for those, considering their historical significance.