Author Topic: Modelling problem  (Read 4143 times)

Mockcongler

Modelling problem
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:05:00 am »
Hello everyone, I've been modelling for the past few days and started to model a wrench. Everything went good, modeled about 50% of the whole thing and wanted to see if it would work normal when imported into a BRF, and it didn't. The thing is that some faces are not drawn in-game/in BRFEdit.

Here's a picture of the unfinished wrench in Wings3D:

And here's a picture of it in BRFEdit:

As you can see most of the faces of the scaling thingy and the cylinder are not drawn. What am I doing wrong, or why is this happening? Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.  :)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Modelling problem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:02:58 am »
Your pictures didn't come through ... but 99% chance you didn't triangulate everything before saving/exporting it.  BRFEdit, and M&B in general, hate any polygons that are not correctly triangulated.

In Wings 3D, you can just select every surface and hit "triangulate", and it will make sure you didn't miss anything.

Mockcongler

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 04:21:20 am »
Where's that? I can't seem to find it. :(

EDIT:

Nevermind, I found it and it helped! Thanks! :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:27:37 am by Mockcongler »

Offline Brutus

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:43:10 am »
Yes triangulate everything AND make sure your surface normals are facing the right direction (OUT).  (Surface normals control which side of a polygon will be seen)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 01:59:30 am »
Unless you deliberately invert something, Wings 3D will take care of the surface normals for you most of the time.

Ironically, that's exactly what gets reversed when you try to import a non-triangulated polygon into M&B... which is why surfaces don't appear.

Side note on that - when using the auto-triangulate in Wings, make sure it triangulates the way you want.  It's pretty bad about drawing the lines in really strange places, giving you things like several flat surfaces instead of a pyramid.  It's always doing that to me, and it will drive you crazy.  Best if you triangulate most things by hand, at least close enough that you're sure the auto function can't screw it up if you use it to get any you missed.

Mockcongler

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:59:31 am »
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  ;)