Author Topic: Elven Recruitment  (Read 10043 times)

Kool-aid

Elven Recruitment
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:26:58 PM »
This is really bugging me. Ive been playing this mod for two days now and really liking what i see and the ideas it tries to use. But just little problems or obstacles keep getting in my way and i dont know whether I'm just being blind to the solution or if this really is the only way. The main thing is recruitment. Very simple with the Uruks and Orcs of Isengard. You buy them. But with the elves i just cant get anyone. i understand you get an allowance per week depending on your military rank but is that really the only way? Any help on this would be really helpful. Also, not really a game mechanics flaw, just me i think, but with your armies that never seem to get above 5 with the elves and 25 with the orcs, i cant find anything to kill in order to train. If i fight the Rohan scouts I'm killed because the men, lets face it, suck. And if i fight the scouts of Dol Guldor I'm outnumbered, Is there something I'm missing here that would help? Sorry to be a bother but any help on these things would be SO helpful.  :D

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
Re: Elven Recruitment
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:32:07 PM »
Elves are very hard to play as. It's just the way they are. There are very few elves left so you can't just "buy" a couple when you feel like it. That's the idea anyway.

To train, there should be groups of mountain or tribal orcs and peasants and such.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

DaBlade

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:56:49 PM »
Yeah, what Merlkir said.

You may want to take the "kill mountain goblins quest" (or whatever the name is) at the Brigands fort; that's a good way to train your troops and, you'll get some money while you're at it ;)

Kool-aid

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:43:29 PM »
yeah i thought that was kinda what it was going at, no worries then i spose i jsut have to persevere. :D

knowbuddyuno

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:28:38 AM »
I love playing as the elves, but the fact that you have a weekly allotment of soldiers and have to use reputation to get more elves can be a big headache. Here's what I did to make sure I had a big recruitment pool. Just to warn you, it requires a lot of patience:

Take the "destroy Dol Guldur scouts" quests, and patrol around Dol Guldur. Make sure you take few enough troops that you can outrun the scout patrols (pathfinding and avoiding Dol Guldur at nighttime help), since you don't want to fight them alone. Wait until you see them engaged with Mirkwood elves (preferably a couple of patrols of Mirkwood elves). Join the battle, but let your troops do the fighting. This is essential. You don't want to gain experience too quickly (because then the war will start and the Dol Guldur patrols will eat you for lunch), so the bare minimum of experience you receive from winning the fight is all you want. When your troops win the battle, find another Dol Guldur patrol in combat with the Mirkwood elves. If your army is fast, you can lure the Dol Guldur scouts to Lothlorien and the Rivendell camp, which speeds things up significantly. Do not go back for a reward after killing the scouts. Just keep killing more and more scouts until you are about to hit level 8 (from the vast number of fights you've won) and trigger the start of the war. Now go and turn in the 30+ (or more, I can't really remember as I haven't played in a while) patrols you've killed. You will get promoted to a significant rank, and your weekly influence will be pretty impressive. You'll still want to take care of your troops, of course, but you won't be stuck with 1 elf each week and a bunch of woodsmen to fill out your ranks.

This can take over 100 game days, or just a couple of weeks in game, depending on how aggressively you lure the scouts to their doom.

Hope that helps!

Kool-aid

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
Well all the advice has been really helpful. Ive been playing the elves for a while now and im really liking them. The weekly allotment is a bore but it makes the game more of a challenge. Im 44 days in and getting 10 troops a week from my rank so i think from here on out it shouldn't be too bad. I think ill persevere, and maybe head down to rohan and gondor, only popping back up each week for my money and troops :D

Offline azile0

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »
I've honestly abandoned .808 M&B, now I'm just waiting for the 1.0 port. Stunlock, immense load times, Fractured systems, and a plethora of other displeasing factors have shooed me back to the modern mods. I can't wait for TLD to be ported, though.

Offline jamoecw

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:50:14 AM »
i am going to necro this thread, it isn't that dead, and i think we need more talk on the elven recruitment, and associating play styles (as those two are quite related).

knowbuddyuno presented a pretty good way of dealing with rank and such, personally i solo mountain goblins until the war starts, then i head to elven lands and grab quests.  i like the killing scouts one at this stage, but be sure that you always fight with allies, as you will be too weak on your own to solo them (well if you are not horse archering them), it also means that you can hold your troops behind the allies troops and help increase their lifespan.  before you reach a decent rank, you should have enough troops to turn the tables on the largest groups of enemies that are attacking allied patrols and such.  don't be too greedy with army size, as bigger armies don't move as fast, and all you need to be able to do is help allies out.  focus your influence on more permanent things like gaining heroes, and weapons.  by the time you crush the opposition in elven territory you should have nearly maxed out rank if not maxed out, and more importantly your army, having survived through many battles will be of decent rank, which means a small elite group which can handle those sneaking quests better than the humans or orcs.

when you venture into human lands, the battles will be easier than when you were a human, since your group will be based on support, and at elven levels as well.  start with rohan, and once their enemies are crushed, move onto gondor.  there you might face the four hosts (if they are turned on), which will be your toughest opposition, well other than the attrition of being so far away from elven reinforcents for your losses.  since gondorian forces are pretty good, you might pick up some gondorian archers and such, brute force is what is most needed at this point, so the trade out won't hurt you much at all.

what makes the elven war easier is the lack of pows that your allies carry around, in human lands if you are a big help then your allies' parties slowly diminish, while their prisoners grow.  eventually they take a loss and that loss is worse than when the elves take a loss, do to how much men the orcs get from rescuing pows.  a lucky enemy might get one group to bolster its forces, and then move unopposed against other weakened allied forces, resulting in a chain reaction which causes a patrol to become as big of a threat as a war party.  in elven lands the reverse happens, each victory bring the victorious party closer to defeat, so that a war party with a string of victories might not be much more challenge than a scout.  once you realize this elves are fairly easy to play, as they enjoy the advantage of being able to cycle their forces without aiding their enemy.  the orcs have the advantage of being able to cycle their forces without bringing them as close to defeat.  keeping these in mind you can make the "weaker" easier to play, just by changing your strategic objectives.

Brardor

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »
I started a new game as the elves and being able to recruit woodsman really helped to mitigate the difficulty caused by the lack of troops. My first game was as an uruk-hai archer of Saruman.  The difference between the scout parties of rohan and the ones of Dul Guldur and Moria is huge. Trying to train up little snagas against 10+ cavalry was basically impossible.  A party of 15 or so woodsman plus me against the foot soldiers of Mordor seems so much easier.

Offline jamoecw

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 10:11:29 PM »
the elves are rather balanced against their enemies.  rohan and gondor pawn their enemies in battle but have trouble winning wars.  playing isengard or mordor is tough since you gain experiance slower since if you manage to kill at the same rate as you would if you were a good guy the your opponent falls rather quickly.  a tip with killing cavalry, water is your friend.  if you can fight with 10-15 snaga against 10 cavalry in a steep sloped river then you will probably will win so long as you can keep you snaga clumped in the river.  the cavalry will be reluctant to engage all at once so you will be fighting 2 or 3 at once most of the time, at which point the cavalry will get dropped with little loss due to stun lock.

Roka

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 08:59:40 AM »
it's fun to play as the elves due to the difficulty in recruiting but frustrating, i usually load my party with woodsmen and try a similar tactic to knowbuddyuno until I have a strong enough army to tackle patrols.

Offline azile0

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 12:11:20 PM »
I remember TLD as being a good Roleplay base. By importing, face shaping, dressing, and naming characters, you can reenact scenes from the movie. IE, the Rohirrim fleeing Edoras to the Hornburgh, when Isengard's forces intercept them. You could style yourself Eowyn, Aragorn, Legolas, a random Rohirrim, Eothain, and pretty much anyone else in that scene.

Osbada

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 08:04:03 AM »
Wow. i played and i have one mission to deal a sourcer nearby dol guldur ;) i didnt manage to catch him, and so i went for another quest and then i got to go south to help rohan and nothing more....

anyone?

DaBlade

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 08:32:55 AM »
Wow. i played and i have one mission to deal a sourcer nearby dol guldur ;) i didnt manage to catch him, and so i went for another quest and then i got to go south to help rohan and nothing more....

anyone?

Are you playing as an elf? Are Moria and Dol Guldur crushed? If all is done there, the last mission you'll get (not really a mission) is to go South to the aid of Men. Go win the bloody War! :P

Osbada

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 08:23:44 AM »

anyone?

Are you playing as an elf? Are Moria and Dol Guldur crushed? If all is done there, the last mission you'll get (not really a mission) is to go South to the aid of Men. Go win the bloody War! :P

okay thanks,,, now i startet as a rider of rohan and i did get a wierd error message when i re opned the game and tried to open saved games :S   so i have to start 2 weeks back in time ;)

Avenger

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »
While waiting on a game of wc3:BFME 3.2 on B.net, against all decency I choose to resurrect this post by saying that you can edit conversations.txt and make the recruitment cost of elven(or any) troops from f.e. 10 into a negative f.e. -90 so that instead of spending influence you gain it with each recruitment, and you can experiment with those elven troops. Can be fun.

that way you can easily recruit an army of your liking, f.e. Black Numenoreans and Cave Trolls and Olog Hais... or a bunch of elves.. also buy all the items and heroes you like..

Before anyone bitching about this option, I one might want to remind oneself that it is simply an option. If one wants to spend a real time week walking on the map, that is also your choice.

Have fun!

tryadelion

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 04:24:13 AM »
While waiting on a game of wc3:BFME 3.2 on B.net, against all decency I choose to resurrect this post by saying that you can edit conversations.txt and make the recruitment cost of elven(or any) troops from f.e. 10 into a negative f.e. -90 so that instead of spending influence you gain it with each recruitment, and you can experiment with those elven troops. Can be fun.

that way you can easily recruit an army of your liking, f.e. Black Numenoreans and Cave Trolls and Olog Hais... or a bunch of elves.. also buy all the items and heroes you like..

Before anyone bitching about this option, I one might want to remind oneself that it is simply an option. If one wants to spend a real time week walking on the map, that is also your choice.

Have fun!

found that not even possible. tried to do that but the conversations txt file is a mess. there are dozens of [reg(X)] references when there is not really any changeable number. yes, you can change the give me a dol amorth knight [-90]/[reg1]
but downwards there is the [reg5]/[reg1] give me ten wich seems to be hardcoded for my sight, as it doesen't change from the original number that was on give me a dol amroth etc...

soo, proof it. please.

Avenger

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 04:44:11 AM »
Modules - TLD - conversation.txt

find lines similar to

dlga_give_me_a_large_uruk_w 69631 710  0 Give_me_a_large_uruk_warrior._(cost:_15/{reg1})  711  3 20033 33555226 83886310 0 20033 33555236 15 0 20033 33555237 50 0
dlga_give_me_an_olog_hai. 69631 710  0 Give_me_an_olog-hai._(cost:_80/{reg1})  711  3 20033 33555226 83886333 0 20033 33555236 80 0 20033 33555237 500 0
dlga_give_me_a_black_nume 69631 710  0 Give_me_a_black_numenorian_warrior._(cost:_40/{reg1})  711  3 20033 33555226 83886326 0 20033 33555236 40 0 20033 33555237 200 0

And edit the number that equals the "cost:_XX" and put it into a negative similar to this:

dlga_give_me_a_large_uruk_w 69631 710  0 Give_me_a_large_uruk_warrior._(cost:_15/{reg1})  711  3 20033 33555226 83886310 0 20033 33555236 -90 0 20033 33555237 50 0
dlga_give_me_an_olog_hai. 69631 710  0 Give_me_an_olog-hai._(cost:_80/{reg1})  711  3 20033 33555226 83886333 0 20033 33555236 -90 0 20033 33555237 500 0
dlga_give_me_a_black_nume 69631 710  0 Give_me_a_black_numenorian_warrior._(cost:_40/{reg1})  711  3 20033 33555226 83886326 0 20033 33555236 -90 0 20033 33555237 200 0

(no need to edit the "price quoted in the chat" but the actual script price.)

Have fun..

Avenger

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 04:50:23 AM »
if that doesn't help, hit Alt+F4 and Enter enough times and go buy some beer and down it with some good food and then try again :p