Author Topic: Questions about: multimesh LOD's and 2-sided texturing  (Read 2679 times)

killkhergit

Questions about: multimesh LOD's and 2-sided texturing
« on: July 18, 2009, 01:27:46 am »
When I was creating a few models for my mod (http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,70155.0.html) I encountered a few problems:

1. Having to copy the whole canopy, then flip the copy's normal to get a 2-sided effect. NOT effecient.
2. Failing to create a working LOD on trees.

So, I'd like to ask about:

1. How to make working LOD's on trees...
2. How to not have to copy triangles/quads but still get a 2-sided effect...

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about: multimesh LOD's and 2-sided texturing
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:05:09 am »
You can texture both sides of a flat poly in most editors (I use this in Wings 3d quite a bit).  BRFEdit will pick this up, and you will have your two-sided effect on an actually flat surface.  It will count as two triangles when drawing it, but still better than the alternatives.  Also note that you can put different textures on each side, like for the inside and outside of a tent or some such.  Also handy to pair with alpha channels, if you need a tassel or a feather or some such.

As for the trees, not sure ... think there has been some discussion on that, somewhere, but most of it missed me (because, to be honest, I'm surely no expert on this stuff).  But if you figure it out, post something, because I for one would love to know.