Author Topic: E3 - SWTOR  (Read 15419 times)

Offline Vector

• View Profile
E3 - SWTOR
« on: June 02, 2009, 10:56:55 am »
Isn't really relating to our mod, but it does deserve some acknowledgement.
Bioware gave a nice new trailer of SWTOR at E3 today and it's really starting to look like an impressive game: http://www.mtv.com/videos/movie-trailers/396933/exclusive-star-wars-the-old-republic-game-trailer.jhtml

Any way

Was so impressed with the new trailer i just had to post it  :green:

The Happy Stormtrooper

Re: E3 - SWTOR
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:33:39 pm »
It really is an awesome trailer, especially the bird's eye view of two forces charging other, with their representitive lightsaber colours.

It's just a shame all that amazing footage isn't promoting a good single player RPG, rather than some charmless grindfest filled with total geeks who take it too seriously.

Can you tell I'm not a supporter of MMOs?

Now it's been a few years since I played KOTOR, and I missed the sequel, but was that Darth Revan and Darth... um, Malak(?) I saw?

SpartanPride

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:23:56 pm »
Looks good, but I`m with Happy Stormtrooper. Disappointed it isn't a single-player game - I was quite a fan of the first two KOTOR's.

Apparently it's supposed to be fully voice-acted - for a game with as much content as this game claims to have, that's impressive. 

Offline HokieBT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:32:18 pm »

yeah, I agree the footage is awesome, and I appreciate it all the more after modding this game for a while, but agree I'd like it as single-player.  I barely have anytime to play games, so single player is about the only type of concept I can do since I can just do a little bit at a time, etc...

SpartanPride

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 11:55:00 pm »
Speaking of TOR, what do you guys think those unannounced LucasArts games are at E3?

Dibuk

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 09:56:01 am »
It really sucks it a MMO  :( ... But Mr. Lucas probably want a cut on the MMO money-goodness, not that I call him greedy or anything  ::)

Revan Shan

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:40:47 am »
Speaking of TOR, what do you guys think those unannounced LucasArts games are at E3?

DId they present any unannounced thing? I think they didn't. The Monkey Island and Kotor, and they are both announced.

SpartanPride

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 04:16:35 pm »
The Monkey Island things were the unannounced games, I think.

Jedi Clone

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 05:38:32 am »
Teh trailer was really great. And I love SW too.
But taht SWTOR won't be nice if Mr. Lucas makes it P2P.
Cause P2P MMO's really suck....... >:D >:D >:D It's like donating money to some crap.

Offline Dain Ironfoot

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 05:43:32 pm »
You do realise we're going to have Revan Shan requesting even more "important" stuff now?

SpartanPride

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 01:40:19 am »
Cause P2P MMO's really suck....... >:D >:D >:D It's like donating money to some crap.

Contrary. We won't have a constantly updated world unless there it is P2P. It's win-lose, but it's worth it.

Jedi Clone

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 06:51:03 pm »

Contrary. We won't have a constantly updated world unless there it is P2P. It's win-lose, but it's worth it.

mmmm...... maybe ur ryt and it's worth it :green: but i still don't like P2P's  :D

SpartanPride

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 12:38:31 am »
mmmm...... maybe ur ryt and it's worth it :green: but i still don't like P2P's  :D

I totally agree - I already bought the game, why should I keep paying for it?

But the sad fact is, that the game needs maintenance, or it will end up having considerable less content like Guild Wars (<- Good game, none the less).

Offline HunterAlpha1

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 02:04:38 pm »
when you guys say "P2P", you actually mean "PvP" (player vs.player), right?  well whats wrong with that, as long as its optional like in SWG, and you have a level cap that keeps high lvl players from attacking low lvl players like Runescape used to have?

edit:  WOW! i just watched the trailer, and it is AWESOME!  i think ill give TOR a try.  does it have a free trial?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 02:13:46 pm by HunterAlpha1 »

Offline Vector

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 02:59:33 pm »
when you guys say "P2P", you actually mean "PvP" (player vs.player), right?  well whats wrong with that, as long as its optional like in SWG, and you have a level cap that keeps high lvl players from attacking low lvl players like Runescape used to have?

edit:  WOW! i just watched the trailer, and it is AWESOME!  i think ill give TOR a try.  does it have a free trial?

P2P = Pay to Play.
MMO games require multiple dedicated servers and therefore require a great deal of maintenance therefore MMOs generally will require players to pay towards some form of subscription fee.
SWTOR hasn't been released yet noire is it even in Beta stages so it will be quite some time before any of us see a free trial.

I'm personally betting the release will be around Summer 2010.