Author Topic: Just too much... help?  (Read 3301 times)

archlurps

Just too much... help?
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:11:29 am »
So, I've been into M&B for a long time now, somewhere a bit less than a year. Now I'd love to start modding the game to make it even greater, as we all.

I have (basic) experience of c++ and some experience of modding (in ToriBash... way more rudimentary but still, at least helps with understanding things in 3d space)... so I'm not completely new to the "scene", but practically you can treat me as a novice.

Yeah, There's a lot of information about stuff and all, but it's too much at one time. Nowhere is there a simple tutorial that starts off with something not fatally complicated. The simplest I've seen yet is a modelling tutorial, which is already the second step at best.

Just something simple, how do you start? This is like handing me an advanced clockworks manual and telling me: "replicate the Big Ben". I'd like to start off with a cardboard with a drawn clock face and a 5$ readily bought mechanism.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:00:28 am by archlurps »

Oroonin

Re: Just too much... help?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:58:41 pm »
Totally agree with you. Started trying to make my way through things via .txt, gets you a bit but far from where you wanna get. Anyway, recruiting right now if you´re intrested, all those intrested as of yet are quite novices, so maybe we can explore this thing from scratch the lot of us, see what we can gather sort of thing. http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,1784.0.html

archlurps

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:01:15 am »
sure, I'll see.

I seriously just came here, so I'm good for nothing but raw manpower in a project yet.

A mentor of sorts would be good too... but the community seems pretty slow, which is of course to be expected seeing to the fact that it's not that huge

archlurps

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:04:20 am »
YAY! progress! I found the files in the modules section...

It may seem like the first thing you should do, but it's really not that obvious...

now how to modify individual weapons and pieces of equipment? That'll get me far already.

Oroonin

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:56:00 am »
If modifying stats is all you want, the browse the items_kinds.txt. If you find numbers there that feels familiar their probably the stats you´re after. Or check with Ron Losey, he has extensive knowledge of how to alter these things.

And, well, the project as it is atm is really just a play-ground for getting how the system works...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:58:20 am by Oroonin »

archlurps

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 04:12:30 am »
yup. That's what I meant. I found out myself though. The name is hella deceiving, sounds like it'd list stuff like armor types (parts of the body) and weapon types (proficiencies).

I'll get to work with my "mod", or rather just poke around the system to see how stuff works. I'll also help with yours if you can think of anything I might be able to help in.

WOW! darn there's a load of things there... is there a tutorial anywhere on which number means which property of the weapon and so on?

Also is there a way to try out defense factors (how much of each damage type armors take off right away, and what percentage of the damage left is further diminished) without losing the will to live? I mean, even with cheats, tweaking the numbers a bit and then running the game again is a pain.

The easiest way, although not as helpful as the more complicated ones, would probably be making sparring matches happen with the gear the characters have in normal fights. This way you could use cheats to get the equipment you want to test and then go to a training camp.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:35:12 am by archlurps »