login

Author Topic: [SWC] Developers Log and status updates  (Read 151782 times)

Offline HokieBT

• View Profile
[SWC] Developers Log and status updates
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:22:31 AM »
This will be used as a general thread to post updates from the developers.   We can share what we are currently working on or have completed. What we plan to work on in the future, screenshots from any current models of functionality we are creating, etc.

May 12, 2009

This is just a quick note to say in the next few days I am planning to post a 0.8.1 patch to fix a few minor problems.  The main one is that currently force powers (force push, force lighting, force shields, etc) do not appear in shops.   Since it doesn't make sense for them to appear in weapon shops I am adding a 'force-sensitive trainer' as another bookseller in the cantina's where you can purchase force powers.  This is a quick fix, and long term we may add some quests or other ways to get better force powers.  I'll also try and fix a few of the other minor issues (melee punch that troops use sounding like a lightsaber, script error in deserts, etc) but major changes or bug fixes will probably have to wait until a later version.  At the current time I don't think this will be saved game compatible since I will have to add some scripts and triggers for the force-sensitive trainer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:26:31 AM by Swyter »

Offline Vector

• View Profile
Re: Status update on next release
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:11:51 AM »
Sounds good.
I've also spent a little bit of time creating some new scenes, so I will try and get those sent out to you before 8.1 so they can be added to the version.

Offline Geroj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
I try to make some new scene models and Kashyyk

P.S. dont know if it is repaired but pipe(jawas have them) have also lightsaber sound

Dibuk

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
P.S. dont know if it is repaired but pipe(jawas have them) have also lightsaber sound

The baton also have lightsaber sound.

Offline HokieBT

• View Profile
Re: SWC: Developers Log and status updates
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »
Just a quick note to say I'm still working on a minor 0.8.1 release.  I've added a 'force-sensitive trainer' as a new book seller in the cantina who sells the force shields and other powers.   I fixed some minor issues like some weapons sounding like lightsabers, a problem with the change your banner screen, hutt not attacking pirates, and increased the troops in the patrols and their attack radius a little bit.  I also did some minor tweaks to troop stats and equipment like giving the stormtroopers some baton's and decreasing the damage of the jawa's pipes, trying to make faction knights more powerful, etc.   Happy Stormtrooper added a neck to the model of the royal guard and imperial gunner helmet and I'm seeing if I can create some color variations to the hutt armor to add variety. I did some global searches to try and switch some of the more obvious dialogs from native and Obi and I are looking at the recruit menu's for villages.  The 'force kill' was always intended as a 'fun' item for the player and I always realized it and some of the other heavy weapons (rocket launcher, flame rifle, etc) completely imbalance the game if you choose to use them.  However, I'll see if I can tweak them a little bit, so I made it so the force kill does damage to yourself when it is used, and added some other force powers that stun or knock down troops.  I may play with damage on the other heavy weapons, but those really aren't a top priority since they are player-only items so I want to focus on the core gameplay.  We may have some new scenes in the next release that people are working on, and I've made or plan to make a few other changes like re-sizing some weapons, etc.   I also want to see if I can make the empire and rebel permanently at war, but have been struggling with that one for a while so no promises....  ;)    Any changes with the ship purchasing or major scene editing or other changes will wait for a future version tho.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:38:06 PM by HokieBT »

Nameless One

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »
If all those changes you listed are a minor release, I can't wait to see the 1.0 :)

Dibuk

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 11:41:41 AM »
Holy cow! You work at such a paste, one could think you got payed for it!  :green:

The Happy Stormtrooper

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 02:49:23 PM »
I'm not taking on a whole lot of work right now, just going over old stuff.

1. I'm going to create LOD models for helmets that were added to the troop trees at the last minute. Navy Trooper, Gunner, Pilot and probably the Scout will get some lower poly models.

2. I'll probably create some more generic helmets for bandits and aliens. Those usually start out as "doodles", so what happens happens on that front.

3. I'm completely redoing the stormtrooper again. The one currently in game was my first complete armour and I didn't have the experience to create sensible number of polygons or a workable texturing technique.

Both the helmet and armour are still works in progress.

Lux CC-4361

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 03:50:44 PM »
I think the helmet is pretty much it, so the armour could use more of your attention. Wider upper torso and stuff... well, you can see it for yourself.

Offline HokieBT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 12:05:24 PM »

adding some updates I posted in the suggestions thread

I tried to add grid lines, does something like this look better?

yeah, I improved the recruit menu's a bit for the next release.  If you build a village improvement then the "recruit X" menu will always show up regardless of faction, village relationship, etc.  It was also previously hidden if you didn't have enough money or space in your party to hire troops, but that was somewhat confusing so I left the menu there and added some details on the next screen to show you better how many you can or can not hire.

The "recruit volunteers" was the only one I wasn't sure what to do with, because the "player faction" doesn't have recruits or a troop tree so this is why it doesn't show up if you aren't part of a faction.  I switched this menu to give you farmers if you aren't part of a faction, which isn't ideal, and maybe if I add something like kingdom management we'll have to make a player faction troop tree.  I also made it so this menu no longer depends on village relationship but what faction you belong to.  So if you are part of a faction you can only recruit from villages of that faction.  If you aren't part of a faction you can recruit troops from planets of other factions, and if the village is owned by player faction you get farmers like I mentioned above.

The Happy Stormtrooper

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 02:37:07 PM »
Ta-da~!

Rigging this bugger took days (as you can see, it needs more attention on the shoulders). Probably would have taken minutes if I knew how to find the vertices on 3DSMax without having to highlight the area. Agh well, was strangely fun.

I have also completed the low-poly versions (around 200 triangles) of the Navy Trooper and Navy Gunner helmets.

Offline Geroj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 07:52:59 AM »
Ta-da~!

Rigging this bugger took days (as you can see, it needs more attention on the shoulders). Probably would have taken minutes if I knew how to find the vertices on 3DSMax without having to highlight the area. Agh well, was strangely fun.

I have also completed the low-poly versions (around 200 triangles) of the Navy Trooper and Navy Gunner helmets.

WOW very cool

Revan Shan

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 08:11:19 AM »
Yep.

Happy, that thing about the low poli models... what is it? Are those the models you see when the guy is far away?

The Happy Stormtrooper

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 08:36:16 AM »
Yeah, they're different models used for more distant views, so the game isn't needlessly loading super-detailed meshes. You can sometimes spot when they change, as it's an absolute bitch getting two models to look and move the same but only have a third of the poly count. Add to that, they're a dull as shit chore that nobody enjoys doing.

Pellidon

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:43:30 AM »
The new Stormtrooper looks really good, maybe a little chubby around the midsection, but I still think it's great.