login

Author Topic: [SWC] Suggestions for future releases  (Read 406552 times)

Offline Vector

• View Profile
Re: SWC: Suggestions for future releases
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 05:18:42 AM »

Add the deathstar and it/its scenes
I suggest to make the unfinished Second Deathstar, so that it's more historical accurate, if Luke is a lord then the First Death Star is destroyed. I've seen a ingame model, and it looks like the first deathstar, it would be great if this was fixed.

There is no timeline. Obi Wan, Biggs and Tarkin are still alive, Yoda's out of hiding, and the stormtroopers wear "A New Hope" armour.

The module is set in 1ABY so it's set about one year after 'A New Hope'.
So technically Tarkin would be dead, how ever i doubt we will have angry fanboys trying to kill us for having tarkin in game.

@Revan:
We have said countless times that are priority is to focus on films, therefore allot of the suggestions on adding expanded universes content will probably go ignored.

The Happy Stormtrooper

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 05:41:06 AM »

The module is set in 1ABY so it's set about one year after 'A New Hope'.
So technically Tarkin would be dead, how ever i doubt we will have angry fanboys trying to kill us for having tarkin in game.

Do you really doubt that?

Anyway, back to suggestions:

- Could we get particle effects when weapons fire? If not muzzle flashes, then the smoke other mods use for firearms. Currently, shooting feels a little like point and click with an enemy falling down. The sounds are pretty good, and the laser bolts are awesome, but it doesn't really feel like the gun itself is involved in the death-giving process.

- More oddly-shaped aliens. I don't mean super-tentacled slugs with eyes made of laser crystals that shoot ghosts when agitated. But stuff like the pig guard has proven to work well. I'm currently learning to do manual rigs, so some of Jabba's background minions or the lovely folk from the Cantina scene would look cool. It'd be more interesting if every alien didn't just look like it could be some dude in a face mask. Though I think I just made a suggestion to, uh... myself. Deep.

- Some unique ships for heroes. The Falcon to Han Solo, Super Star Destroyer for Vader (or maybe just his personal TIE Fighter from ANH?), Slave I for Fett, etc...

Revan Shan

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 05:48:03 AM »
And don't replace Obi-Wan with some xy Jedi from a videogame.

Echuu is a good option, but Obi Wan is a round NO. Obi Wan did nothing in the Galactic Civil War, he didn't kill a single stormtrooper. In fact, he comited suicide.

Offline Shatari

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 02:23:12 AM »
I'm not sure how practical it would be but check this out. Imagine that with a star map.

Echuu is a good option, but Obi Wan is a round NO. Obi Wan did nothing in the Galactic Civil War, he didn't kill a single stormtrooper. In fact, he comited suicide.
Bah, Obi Wan is far better than some no name EU character. Everyone knows and loves Obi.

Tyrinius

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 02:55:55 AM »
I'm not sure how practical it would be but check this out. Imagine that with a star map.

Something like that would be good, as i sometimes lose orientation due to the missing compass.
We could at least show a grid or something.

edit: I think the info on how to get clones/droids, and where to find the space battles should be included in the readme as people ask for it that often.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:34:41 AM by Tyrinius »

Offline Shatari

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »
An in game readme would be nice. You could pose it as a tour guide, and point out all the redone scenes and new features in it.

Offline HokieBT

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »

sorry I haven't had time to respond individually to all of these but we definitely are reading them and incorporating what we can.   Few general comments:

- we are keeping this close to the movies, so my vote is to keep major characters since they are recognizable to the casual fan.
- some suggestions are quite easy to do (re-size a gun, change a dialog, switch color of laser bolts, etc) while others may be more difficult.  I'm also fairly new to the module system and python coding, so what gets included somewhat depends on how easy it is to change, if we know how, or what we have time to work on, etc.  I will continue to refer to this thread in the future and review current and previous posts as we look for things to add.
- within reason, I'm more than happy to include any star wars model that people make and agree it really helps out.  I can't model, so new ships, armor, scene props, aliens, etc, basically depend on what the team and other community members want to work on.   If people don't care then they can PM me and I can task them with stuff, but since this is all for fun I'm usually hesitant to do that...
- I know the current world map isn't perfect, but I'm not a huge fan of map editing and was trying to somewhat balance realistic planet locations with gameplay balancing since it didn't make sense for some area's of the map to be completely empty.  If anybody likes to play with the map editor and move some planets around then let me know but otherwise I probably won't be tweaking it too much.
- scene editing takes time, we have to create new models, and the code for town/castle sieges is somewhat complicated.  So while we will be working on scene editing its going to take a while before we get a total conversion done.

anyway, I don't have a completely list but I've made several of the easier changes mentioned in this thread and am working to fix some of the bigger bugs to post in a 0.8.1 release.  I'll also try and see how grid-lines look on the map, add a readme popup, and do some particle effects on the blasters since that should help also.  Can probably sneak a few other things into the next release, but the more major changes would have to wait till a future version.

Offline HokieBT

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 06:52:45 AM »

I tried to add grid lines, does something like this look better?

Tyrinius

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 08:32:23 AM »
yeah, that's cool!

Lux CC-4361

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2009, 10:28:53 AM »
Small suggestion: maybe make circular lines along with the already made grid lines. It'd make sense, since the Galaxy is somewhat circular or oval.

Revan Shan

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »

Very nice. Like in the EMpire at War's space battle map.

Offline Shatari

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 04:31:25 PM »
I like that. It'll be a lot easier to navigate with some direction. Currently I keep flying too far from my planet when I'm patrolling, since I don't have any landmarks nearby. Some nebulae or other space anomalies would also be a neat touch. ^.^

By the way, in the next patch could you make it so that we can recruit our own troops even if we aren't part of a nation? Or at least get clones that way? It would be awesome.
Also, the weekly cost for troops only displays the ones in your party. Could you tweak that to display the real total, via this?

Lux CC-4361

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2009, 11:41:04 PM »
Some nebulae or other space anomalies would also be a neat touch. ^.^

Yeah, that would be awesome, but probably too much for this patch.

By the way, in the next patch could you make it so that we can recruit our own troops even if we aren't part of a nation? Or at least get clones that way? It would be awesome.

Yup, I hate having to join some faction to get clones when I only want to make them and conquer the Galaxy by myself!

Revan Shan

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2009, 02:16:28 AM »

Very nice. Like in the EMpire at War's space battle map.

Lovely, just like in the EMpire at War space battle map.

Offline HokieBT

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »
yeah, I improved the recruit menu's a bit for the next release.  If you build a village improvement then the "recruit X" menu will always show up regardless of faction, village relationship, etc.  It was also previously hidden if you didn't have enough money or space in your party to hire troops, but that was somewhat confusing so I left the menu there and added some details on the next screen to show you better how many you can or can not hire.

The "recruit volunteers" was the only one I wasn't sure what to do with, because the "player faction" doesn't have recruits or a troop tree so this is why it doesn't show up if you aren't part of a faction.  I switched this menu to give you farmers if you aren't part of a faction, which isn't ideal, and maybe if I add something like kingdom management we'll have to make a player faction troop tree.  I also made it so this menu no longer depends on village relationship but what faction you belong to.  So if you are part of a faction you can only recruit from villages of that faction.  If you aren't part of a faction you can recruit troops from planets of other factions, and if the village is owned by player faction you get farmers like I mentioned above.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:11:19 AM by HokieBT »