login

Author Topic: Didn't see one, so, Happy New Year! (And RCM discussion, go figure)  (Read 23625 times)

Offline Clegane

• View Profile
Re: Didn't see one, so, Happy New Year!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 10:12:25 am »
Well, seems like RCM is a must have from what ive seen (i love the Onin no Ran mod). What needs to be done then? 

PD: Im currently creating the troop trees and thinking about the proper equipment for each of them, so i might not be able to tweak the items right now.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 10:38:18 am »
Well, the shortest route would be to send me what you have so far - both the Python files and the .brf files and textures on any unique items. I'll change the item stats as best I can - ask about any fantasy items that don't have real-world equivalents.  Send it back to you.  Using that as a base, you can equip your troops appropriately, and based off of those numbers you can generate data for any new items.

Honestly, however, I am unfamiliar with the book series on which this is based ... so you may have to get creative in tweaking any "magic" (i.e. non-Earth-based technology) items.  Also any specialized terms used, I may have to improvise.  So unlike historical mods, you may have to tweak some stuff after I get done.

But stop building troops file immediately, and send me what you have.  (Easiest way is to post it on Rapidshare or some such, send me the link.)

Shouldn't take me TOO long, but no promises.  (I built the original RCM for OnR .751 in 48 hours, but that nearly killed me, so I probably won't go that route again.  Did the optional package for TLD in under a week, and nearly pulled out my hair ... but they had like a gazillion items.)  If it takes longer than a few days, I'll be surprised.

That's the easiest way for you ... and since I'm on vacation for Chinese New Year at the moment, it doesn't really hurt me either.

Kiado

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 10:53:11 am »
I know I haven't added any unique items beyond a couple of items to test models.   Do you have a default setup already laid out?  Like we could just replace our current items with since no real work (as far as I know) has been done adding custom items yet?   We could most likely work from your defaults, and seek your advise on things we aren't sure about.  Up to you really.  (Clegane can tell you better how much custom things he has added, I don't know for sure.) 

At this point of development my main focus is just fleshing out the basics.  Setting up the factions, troops (names and organization, more than item layout), etc.   So maybe this would be the best time to do it.   

As far as not reading the series (I wont get on to you about that, but I will say you should read it.  :) )  it doesn't really matter.  At the point of the story we are presenting there would be few to no "magical" items.  It is a fantasy series, but at the point we are presenting "magic" has not come into play beyond a few events.  There is a particular version of swords in the world that are called "Valaryian Steel"  which could be considered as supreme masterwork weapons perhaps, but no magical properties beyond what is done to create them is presented in the stories.  Basically, its a realistic fantasy type scenario, which is just another reason we should probably go RCM. 

(Pardon the Mr. Loosey then Ron.  :)  I was raised to Texas hospitality and pretty much call everyone Mr. or Mrs. when I don't know them.) 

Offline Clegane

• View Profile
Re: Didn't see one, so, Happy New Year! (And RCM discussion, go figure)
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 11:36:02 am »
Pretty much what Kiado said, this beta wont have the customized troops (as in customized items), just standard equipment as i plan to spend a lot of time outfitting each faction so maybe just get the RCM on hold till we get some customization on the mod?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 12:19:44 pm »
If you're pretty much using Native items, just pull the RCM for Native .90x off of wherever it was last posted (should be a copy on the repository), and go from there.  (If you can't find it, I'll get you a fresh copy.)  I started work on a 1.0x version, but there were a few new items and I couldn't get the fool length measurement tool to work in the new BRFEdit, and I got frustrated and didn't get back to it.  But most everything is the same, except for the prices and the actual order in the file, plus two or three items - I was just being too picky, wanting to get the lengths exactly right.  The download has the Python file, and a compiled .txt for Native (ignore the latter).  You should be able to improvise a base items file in an hour or so, and then just base any new additions off of that data set.

For data that is changed, do look carefully - speed and damage are changed, but also types of attack on certain weapons are changed.  (Why were people in Native always trying to stab someone with a stick?)  If you do a partial cut-and-paste, watch that sort of thing.  Of course, things like prices have nothing to do with the model - that's your problem.

Also, do get the right numbers in the module.ini file ... those are critical.  Module.ini should be in the download - what is changed is obvious (the armor ratios and damage-speed multipliers).

Do watch the bows and arrows ... due to changes in the way power draw was calculated, I had to build a really convoluted reverse-scale damage ratings system.  It's NOT a mistake - the final numbers do work - it just looks freaky.

And don't accidentally get the one for .808 or earlier ... the calculation method was changed, and those numbers are wrong for newer versions.

------------------------
And I was raised in Oklahoma ... where people who insisted they be called by some title were always pompous gasbags.  To avoid looking like one of them, I always learned to immediately insist on informal forms of address.  (Rednecks have a habit of opening hunting season on pompous gasbags... not smart to be associated with them.  So much for hospitality.)

-------------------------

Side note - check out the blood loss model discussion.

http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,1579.msg31708.html#msg31708

There's a good code for that, by amarillo , although you need to change the blood_per_HP number to about 300 (it was 100).  It's planned to be included in all future RCM versions, you might as well be the first.

Kiado

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 01:09:19 pm »
Words words words.. 

I think that would probably be the easiest method to take.  It accomplishes two things.  Gives us a good starting base for our own items, and gets us familiar with the number and scheme of RCM.   Clegane, can you/do you want to do this part?  If not I can do it and send you the modified Python files. 

And I was raised in Oklahoma ... where people who insisted they be called by some title were always pompous gasbags.  To avoid looking like one of them, I always learned to immediately insist on informal forms of address.  (Rednecks have a habit of opening hunting season on pompous gasbags... not smart to be associated with them.  So much for hospitality.)

Yeah, I know what you mean.  When I was young my parents made me say "Yes sir.", "No sir', etc.  You know what I am talking about.  I was born and raised in DFW so I am far from a  Redneck (the same can't be said for some of my family), hell I have lived my entire 31 years here and have never even rode a horse.  (Everyone seems to think Texans, and the same is probably true for Okies, that we are all redneck horse riding asshats.)  Anyways, like you said, so much for hospitality. 

Side note - check out the blood loss model discussion.

http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,1579.msg31708.html#msg31708

There's a good code for that, by amarillo , although you need to change the blood_per_HP number to about 300 (it was 100).  It's planned to be included in all future RCM versions, you might as well be the first.

That is an interesting setup, and looks like it would fit well with RCM.  I will test it out with what I have built so far. 

There are so many good things out there that I would love to use.  I just want to be careful to not get bogged down and loose focus on presenting the world we want to present, in a quest to have a ton of cool "extra" stuff in the mod.  Things like this seem pretty good though.  They seem fairly easy to implement, and the benefits are worth the work. 

Offline Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 07:00:06 am »
(If you can't find it, I'll get you a fresh copy.) 

Yes please, could only find the 0.89 version.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 07:16:05 am »
(If you can't find it, I'll get you a fresh copy.) 

Yes please, could only find the 0.89 version.

The .890 and .90x item file is the same.  The only difference, as far as the RCM/Native package was concerned, is that you need to change that little version info blurb at the bottom of the Module.ini file, to avoid that annoying error message when you try to load the fool thing.

Thought everybody knew that ... sorry for not being more specific.

Oroonin

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 03:56:23 pm »
Mr and miss seems allright, da´ had me call him sarge ´till I became one. Firstname basis now, after 31 yrs.

Offline Zyghor

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 04:37:45 pm »
Im so happy you are considering to implement RCM in the new version.
Great work on the mod guys (big fan of the books)
Great work Ron on RCM (takes a game to real enjoyment in tactical and challenging combat)

In conclusion: I have nothing constructive to say on the subject, just wont you to know that your work is appreciated!  ;)

THX

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 09:28:11 pm »
Mr and miss seems allright, da´ had me call him sarge ´till I became one. Firstname basis now, after 31 yrs.

You have a very strange family.  We all feel sorry for you.

Kiado

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:06 am »
Clegane, did you get what you needed?  Need anything from me?

I am thinking about using the following at this point.  RCM, Blood Loss, Formations and Morale scripts.   I will make sure to include instructions in the download readme.txt on how to disable all the options if wanted.  I think putting them in the base, and providing the information to turn them off, or writing a little app to remove them shouldn't be too hard and will benefit the widest range of players.   Although RCM won't be removable, unless we want to make two versions of the items. 

Offline Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 12:41:31 pm »
RCM is a must have, on the other hand Blood Loss might be a bit hardcore.

Kiado

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 01:09:57 pm »
RCM is a must have, on the other hand Blood Loss might be a bit hardcore.

I agree with you, but if it was easy to turn off, I don't think it would be a problem.

Think of it like this.  When the user installs our mod, I will provide instructions on renaming a couple of txt files that would remove the features..   For example...

In the A Song of Ice and Fire directory you would have:

scripts.txt
scripts_No_Blood_Loss.txt

Basically the user would just have to rename whichever they wanted to use to "scripts.txt" and it should technically work.

Now I am speaking without testing this theory, but I don't see why I wouldn't be possible.  So it's not something I am sure about, just thinking about it.  The work would be on me though to have all the options there, and that they work no matter which one you use.  There may be even a better way to do it, I will have to explore the option more.

Kiado

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 03:47:52 pm »
None of this beyond RCM am I worried about at this point.  The rest are just scripts that can be easily added in.  Just thinking on the future.