login

Author Topic: Muskets/Pistols and AI  (Read 3839 times)

HardCode

Muskets/Pistols and AI
« on: January 01, 2009, 08:39:24 pm »
Okay, I'm helping HokieBT with the Star Wars Calradia mod. It seems that some troops with muskets ignore "Hold this position!" commands, much like horse archers in Native. These problem troops have no horses (speeders), and they are not flagged as tf_mounted anymore. They were tf_mounted and this seemed to be the problem at first, but now it stops most troops from charging, but not all. This includes Heroes. So, it must be related to the AI handling an equipped musket or pistol. I was wondering if there is anything to do to change this behavior that I haven't thought of, or am I at the mercy of the game engine?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Muskets/Pistols and AI
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:31:01 pm »
Not sure if any of this applies to your situation, but here are some observations that might help:

1.  As troops spawn, they may or may not adapt to previously given orders.  So if you give the hold order while the game is still drawing troops, the new ones may not get the message.  A bigger issue, obviously, with larger groups.

2.  Also with larger groups, not everyone always gets the message.  Try hammering on the key - give the same order several times.

3.  The "hold the line" orders are always more of a suggestion than an order.  Melee troops, especially cav, will break formation briefly to attack.  That is part of the game engine.

4.  There are some alternate formation scripts floating around the mod community.  If the Native ones don't do what you want, try some of the others.  No promises they will be better, but it doesn't cost much to try.

HardCode

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:28:23 pm »
I'll probably have to look at the formation scripts. I know what you're sayin' about "breaking the line", but unlike Native, these musket and pistol carrying troops do this right at the first spawn, and charge all the way across the scene when the enemy is very far away ... and they don't stop :( Their behavior is unlike any non-firearm troop in respect to this. Well, off to the formation scripts! Thanks.

Offline Dain Ironfoot

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »
Interesting. But it's the same for all ranged troops.. it's not a firearm specific issue, they'll pretty much always ignore orders given. If you want them to line up neatly or move when you tell them, order them to hold fire. Then they'll obey again. Thats why the hold fire key is so incredibly useful.

It's when you start giving mounted troops muskets that they start forgetting how to use them..
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:49:17 pm by Dain Ironfoot »

HardCode

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 08:52:09 pm »
I haven't had this problem in Native, well at least with Heroes, when commanding archers to hold position right after the first spawn. I haven't done an all-archer army in 1.011 yet, but I've had archers mixed in with the troops. Let me try again in Native. Horse Archers naturally run off like Rambo, like always.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:55:28 pm »
In OnR, the horse archers were holding position relatively well for us, as was the rest of the group.  (That's not ported to 1.0x yet ... something may have changed since .90x.)

I'm not sure what's going on.