login

Author Topic: What is this game? Does anyone know?  (Read 14276 times)

Lucas1987

What is this game? Does anyone know?
« on: December 09, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »
Hi guys, I've been playing M&B through about the last 4 releases and really enjoying the ride so far! Such a good modding community makes the game immense amounts of long lasting fun!

I was looking at the Holy Wars mod and saw a link to Raz's YouTube account.. On it it had some footage of a new game he is working on or something.. it got me EXCITED, it looks incredible.. does anyone know anything about it? anyone spoken to Raz? I would LOVE to know more about it if anyone has any info whatsoever please?

Link (1st 2 videos): http://uk.youtube.com/user/Khaya88

Regards,
Lucas

Offline hayate666

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: What is this game? Does anyone know?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:45:57 AM »
As a playable game this mod is just a myth so far. As far as I know it's currently being made for M&B 1.0, but I haven't heard any progress reports in a while.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:09:15 AM »
As a playable game this mod is just a myth so far. As far as I know it's currently being made for M&B 1.0, but I haven't heard any progress reports in a while.

He was talking about that other game Raz was building.  It too is nowhere near playable.

(Actually, the developers version of HW for .808 was close to the minimum standard for playable.  But not quite.)

Raz said he would look over the 1.0x module system and decide where to go from there.  Also said he was still working on that other game.  That was some time ago - haven't heard anything new.

vadermath

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:51:15 AM »
I was wondering, is there a website, blog, forum, or something, where we can get info on the new game Raz is making? Or is it still top secret?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:45:18 AM »
Wouldn't know....

I tried to catch him on-line several times recently, just to see what was up ... but I can't ever seem to get him.

vadermath

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:02:39 AM »
He's like the friggin' Batman :shock:

Offline Dain Ironfoot

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »
Interesting, he has mounted combat now.

M&B may have something of a competitor soon. The editing tools look impressive too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:43:33 AM by Dain Ironfoot »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 04:50:16 PM »
that looks friggin tasty! :) I haven't asked Raz about the game for a while, seems I'll have to send him another annoying PM :D
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

italiano

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 09:33:26 PM »
Gets better with each update. The scale is quite impressive as well.

nadjibus

Offline Dain Ironfoot

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
Thats very impressive animation..

my one criticism so far has been that the combat looks somewhat stilted compared to mount and blade.. still brilliant though.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 01:55:09 AM »
that animation is straight from Medieval II ;)

(nadjibus is the lead programmer btw ;))
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 02:02:03 AM by Merlkir »

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

nadjibus

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 06:28:58 AM »
that animation is straight from Medieval II ;)

(nadjibus is the lead programmer btw ;))

Yeah it's from M2TW. I made it for 2 raisons: for fun and as a placeholder for testing "fatalities". Now we'll just replace M2 anim with our fatalities anims  :)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 06:38:25 AM »
one thing I noticed - there was no collision detection for the horses (and for the humans either I think), are you planning on implementing a physical engine of some sort? (Ragdoll, Havoc - those are free I think..)
Would be way cool (even if it was LOD somehow so it doesn't clot the system) to see lines of enemies being split by charging cavalry with people flying around limbs waving wildly...(also it could add some dynamic to the fights, for instance the ramming/shield bashing move could cause some wilder interaction. It's probably because of the placeholder animations, but the combat looks a bit slow and dull at the moment.)

Offline Dain Ironfoot

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 06:51:27 AM »
Thats a pretty good idea.

The fact that you've clearly built an engine compatible with M2 files is also really cool, I bet the community wil like that!

nadjibus

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »
one thing I noticed - there was no collision detection for the horses (and for the humans either I think), are you planning on implementing a physical engine of some sort? (Ragdoll, Havoc - those are free I think..)
Would be way cool (even if it was LOD somehow so it doesn't clot the system) to see lines of enemies being split by charging cavalry with people flying around limbs waving wildly...(also it could add some dynamic to the fights, for instance the ramming/shield bashing move could cause some wilder interaction. It's probably because of the placeholder animations, but the combat looks a bit slow and dull at the moment.)

We're planning to use Steering Behaviors, we already implemented some algorithms (Flee, Pursue, Arrive) and we are working on Formations flocking, Push and Queue. The result will be a lot better than using classical AI with physics. And the final result will be exactly like you said: Horses splitting formations, narrow fighting, pushing, formations breaking and regrouping... formations will act naturally and as a real mass of people.

And about combat being slow and dull, that's mainly because we'll have to add lot of animations and attacks, and we need to improve AI to not stay static. But the combats are already AWESOME in First Person View. Immersion is total! We're making one of the most realistic FP view ever.

Thanks for your interesting  :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:39:03 AM by nadjibus »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 10:07:39 AM »
I was talking more about body dynamics than AI - a guy or a horse runs into you and you fall down and roll on the floor. Horses and running men have momentum etc. This can be done with animations, I know - MaB has that. I was just hoping for a physics engine solution.

but

and we need to improve AI to not stay static.

very true that. :) to keep good the distance from a moving enemy well and time attacks properly is the basics of a MaB-like combat.

nadjibus

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »
Check my videos in Youtube for FPS mode. I think its less dull than 3rd person view. And also we're working hard to improve combat system since the game will focus 75% on combat, less on RPG, but we'll add something M&B lacks, strategy.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 12:48:03 PM »
I usually play in 3rd person, but your 1st person view looks very good! The helmet blocking your view..how will full faced helmets do this? you'll really only be able to see through the eyeslits? The blood sticking to "camera" is a bit odd, but I guess that's a work in progress. That reminds me a bit of Overgrowth (Lugaru sequel), they have blood that drips and sticks onto surfaces and flows down for a while...

edit: maybe you could set up your own forums when (if) you take up some beta testers ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:51:05 PM by Merlkir »

emperor77

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »
Man this game looks good.  :D
Can't wait for a release.

Leggeron

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 03:37:38 AM »
First person view looks quite impressive.  Bit jerky but thats probably just the video.  I like the cautious stance when two guys approach each other, but will there be a more dynamic approach as well?

broodwarcd

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 04:38:08 PM »
This looks absolutely SMEX!

Offline Dain Ironfoot

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 12:27:01 PM »
Something I've just thought of... back in days of yore of Holy War mod, you showed some renders of animations of archers kneeling and other interesting things..

Plan to implement stuff like that into Deus?

Servitor

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 11:51:31 AM »
This looks freaking awesome... Give me an Alpha Leak now please!  :o ... Right... Not really. Anyway, I wish you my very best luck wishes on this game. It looks as though it can become a great something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_C4jdyULMA

No way. That was awesome!! Only, The camera is too high. The player is above all others. Will you be adding a sort of filter over the screen when you get hit/tired/wounded? It would increase that 'Imersion' value you talked about! Now could someone throw me some more links?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6wJ0gSc0o <-- T'was removes! T.T

This is epic!
Servitor

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:22:43 PM by Servitor »

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »
May as well mention that I've joined up with Raz and Nad on Deus Vult, handling design and writing for the whole game. With a little luck and a lot of hard work it will become what M&B should have been.

Regards,
Winter

emperor77

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 04:13:10 AM »
That is good news i guess.