login

Author Topic: Extension Tutorial - Rigging And Animation  (Read 9613 times)

Yoshiboy

Extension Tutorial - Rigging And Animation
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:53:48 AM »

here and look for the button on the right that says about a 30 day free trail.

Alternately you can download Gmax, which is very similar to 3d studio max but without as many tools.

download it hereSMD plugins for max

SMD importer for max/gmax

herehere

Using envelopes

As you can see in this image the model changes colour depending on how much the verts are rigged to a bone. A vert which is 100% rigged to the current bone will turn Red. One that is around 50% should be orange, 25% should be a yellow and any less will be a shade of blue. This will make sure that you get a nice balance when the join moves and stops stretching.

Adjust the envelopes for half the bone in the model as well as all the center bones. Max has a feature to mirror the rigging from one side of the model to the other so we will use that. That will be covered later.

Rigging by verts

Rigging by verts has a slightly different setup to the envelopes. First, at the top of the modifier options you need to tell it you are rigging by verts instead. To do this, tick the boxes as follows:

there are also some display options I like to use to make rigging via verts more easy. So scroll down the modifier to where you have the display options and change them to the following:

Using the Mirror ToolChecking all verts are riggedExportinghere.

Importing into BRFeditA few notes
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:08:27 AM by Yoshiboy »

Apollon-04

Re: Extension Tutorial - Rigging And Animation
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
Sorry to necro this thread, but since its a tutorial, I think its ok. First of all, thanks for this tutorial. I'm trying to earn to rig, and its been very helpful. Here's some things I have questions/commnets on.

1. The site that you host images on is down, and your images don't show up. Since part of the rigging by vertex part is images, this should be fixed.

2. A question relating to the rigging/animating process. This tutorial says rigging/animating, but theres nothing on animating. Could you maybe link to a bow animation tutorial? (i have been unable to find one myself.)

Yoshiboy

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 03:04:57 AM »
Ok, I'll get the pics up again -

animation wasn't really possible when I made this tut but if it is in the newest version then I'll maybe write something on it (it would be new to me though)

Apollon-04

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »
I meant like animating a bow, with vertex animations and stuff. I really need to learn how to do this.

Yoshiboy

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 02:17:10 AM »
I meant like animating a bow, with vertex animations and stuff. I really need to learn how to do this.

Oh, that. Well its possible I can go through that at some time but its rather simple. Just export each frame as .obj file and import it onto an existing mesh in BRFedit. There was some stuff about it in the BRFedit thread.

Apollon-04

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »
Is it similiar to making a sheat? One frame is the bow, on is slightly drawn back, one is all the way drawn back?

Ill go look at the Brfedit thread for more info too.

Yoshiboy

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 10:54:05 AM »
Is it similiar to making a sheat? One frame is the bow, on is slightly drawn back, one is all the way drawn back?

Ill go look at the Brfedit thread for more info too.

Exactly the same.

Kabalon

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:14:18 AM »
hey dude...

I just made that .smd with the imported .smd from a M&B armor...

I didn't changed anything in the rigging...because I thought it's just ok like it is O_o ? because at the arms...the arms were affected n stuff...

But as I imported it into the game...the whole mesh exploded (artefact) :D

What can be the problem in this?

Charlie
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:05:23 AM by Kabalon »