Author Topic: Extreme Trading  (Read 2252 times)

Offline KON_Air

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Extreme Trading
« on: June 06, 2008, 08:40:14 PM »
Okay that's a wild idea, the idea is to make the trade more complicated there how I think I might work;

-Grab the Players cash,
-Open Trade menu,
-Grab the money player spent/gained when trade menu closes,
-Show dialog options;
*Haggle (Trade + Persuasion, with trade a lot less important  since it already reduced the prices a bit)
*Intimidate (CHR + STR as well as other things (such as being the Lord of the said fief, renown...)
*Beg (Some penalties and rely on Persuasion + Charisma and player level, for example begging at lvl 1 will be more effective then begging at lvl 99)

...something something, returns a percentage of the money was spent/lost. Best used if items prices are bumped up a little, giving more to Char+Int based characters while not entirely alienating Warrior characters. Also while I'm not entirely sure how to handle it properly but I'm thinking of making Weapons Smiths only buy weapons and armorers only armors... etc.

So what do you think?

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Extreme Trading
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 03:54:18 AM »
Difficult to implement, but it might be possible -- it'd be ugly codewise, though, and I don't see how that system really makes much improvement on the current trading system. It just adds more annoyances.

If you want to make the game more interesting, work on a proper economy system and give caravans some actual impact on the game world.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:27:46 AM »
Yeah, concur ... a real supply-and-demand economy model, complete with caravans that actually transport stuff, would be useful for many mods.  More buttons to push to figure out the prices would probably just make things annoyingly complex, both to code and to play.

Since using force against the town merchants would pretty much end your game (either you would kill them and have nobody to trade with, or the city guards would kill you, or both), the whole though of using intimidation rather falls apart.

Offline fujiwara

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »
OnR has implemented a crude but effective supply and demand system while trading, with caravans carrying an admittedly artificial commodity (we call it rice, but it could be food, or just points) that affects whether or not a town is able to field a local patrol or add reinforcements to its garrison. Cut off trade, and you weaken the town's ability to defend itself. Keep a town from trading for long enough and the food supplies run dry and the town will revolt (at least in theory...I haven't fully implemented that yet).

Basically, there is a value that tracks aggregate supply and demand for a given town, which acts as a multiplier on the prices. Various game events will modify this value (arrival of caravans, global game events, etc). To set this up, you program some constant negative pressure on a resource (or resources, but that makes more to track), and then use the caravans to replenish this resource. Then add various effects based on the level of this resource.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Offline KON_Air

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 08:19:55 PM »
Since using force against the town merchants would pretty much end your game (either you would kill them and have nobody to trade with, or the city guards would kill you, or both), the whole though of using intimidation rather falls apart.

If you go around kill/scare every single merchant in every town you deserve that.

On caravan impact I'm planning just doing that but I'll rather wait and see how the "Prosperity Points" thingy will/if chance in Native. If it doesn't change minor additions/removals/edits to certain scripts will be suffice. I have something similar to fujiwara's system.

-Towns Default Wealth Rating;
Land Quality (a random number plus the number of villages it has) + Its export (more expensive export, higher points) + Lords Rating
The owner of the town will be rated with the number of fiefs he owns, plus Renown/100 (assuming renown means how much he fights and returns with loot). Last but not least Lords Trade skill.
At game start towns would be somewhere between 30-40. (Max 100)
-Town Prosperity Bonus
When a total of rents and tariffs reach a sum that is dependent on Towns Default Wealth rating town will get one prosperity point (instead of 1/3 chances per caravan in native)

Each trader and merchant gets cash and number of items according to their towns prosperity (expect their primary export item).
Towns prosperity if left without caravan trade won't decay below %50 of its original points. But it will go all the way down if villages can't trade with town.
The villagers will prevent towns prosperity decay, but they won't add any prosperity to town itself as they won't pay tariffs. Again assuming villages can supply all the food and raw materials and town has enough craftsmen to meet basic demands.

-Caravans
Each caravan profits depending on the prosperity of their home (and pay %10 as tariffs) opposed to their destinations export goods price. Also a towns prosperity will only increase when tariffs reach Town Prosperity Bonus. Not just that the caravans home will generate a minor revenue whenever a caravan depart and some more when it arrives at it's destination.

-Prosperity penalties.
Sieges, maybe disease and disasters as random events, other then lack of trade. Also the towns owner may decide to empty coffers and have a large army if his faction is in trouble.

As for a proper economy system is too much of an headache. I think the simplified version of mine (villages support the towns, towns get wealthier by trade, end of discussion) is a better choice given the sporadic change between War Economy and Peace Economy in Calradia is enough to drive anyone mad.