Author Topic: Book Discussion  (Read 18041 times)

pil313

Re: Book Discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 01:11:02 am »
Has anyone heard of a release date for the next book?

Nahadiel

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 08:23:20 am »
Has anyone heard of a release date for the next book?

G.R. Martin's official website.

This summer I am scheduled to travel to Spain to speak at Semana Negra in Gijon(1), make some appearances in Madrid and Barcelona, and then head over to Portugal to visit with my publishers and readers there. I want to have A DANCE WITH DRAGONS done and delivered before I leave. If that happens, the book will likely be published in the fall of 2008 in the U.S, and somewhat earlier in the U.K(2). I am pleased with the way the writing is going at the moment, and I think these projections are realistic ones... but as you all know, I've been wrong before. So I am not swearing any blood oaths here

1-/ It's a pity Gijon is far away from mi city. Perhaps I'll try in Madrid or Barcelona.

2-/That was in February 2007. Shall any changes happen, those would certainly head for a delay rather than an earlier release. Of course, if you want it in any other language, add 1 year as minimun.

Beleg Strongbow

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 09:46:18 am »
FWIW, George just added a new sample over at his website - pretty good stuff if you're a fan of a certain short Lannister!

Agent Griff

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 11:13:11 am »
Who isn't? Everyone seems to love Tyrion.

Nahadiel

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 05:19:10 pm »
There was an "heretic" >:D at westeros.org forums who disliked Tyrion and complained about everybody liking him. I guess there are many more, but they are largely outnumbered by Imp fans.

Offline Elmar Bijlsma

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 02:17:45 pm »
I really like Jon Snow and Tyrion, but have a soft spot for Varys. How can you not love someone who is in the centre of so many manipulations yet always seems to be in control without having an actual power base. He has some decent lines too. Best of all, he seemingly does try to to be "good" even if his Good is not everyone else's Good. I wonder where he will surface next. Daenarys seems a good bet, everyone else is rocking the boat he tries to steady far too much. Also, i love how he's still an enigma four books in.

I soured on Davos midway through the books for being too much of a coward to desert Stannis, who is such a useless douchebag. He finally grew a pair later on, but too late for me.
While I like the Daenerys' character, I  HATE her chapters. I just want her to get stuck in with everyone else. With so many breaks in her favour she shouldn't be faffing about like she is. She's not even on the sidelines!

GRRM really should get moving on the books though. We were told the last book was basically split in two because it was too large, so we'd get it in two separate instalments, Feast for crows and Dance with Dragons. so why are we still waiting on Dance with Dragons?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:20:10 pm by Elmar Bijlsma »

Nahadiel

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 09:27:21 am »
GRRM really should get moving on the books though. We were told the last book was basically split in two because it was too large, so we'd get it in two separate instalments, Feast for crows and Dance with Dragons. so why are we still waiting on Dance with Dragons?

In my language version there is a note saying he had written more than he had initially intended for this book, so he had to split it in two halves. The point is that he didn't make a chronological split (DwD going right after aFfC); he took half the characters to write aFfC and now he has the other half for DwD.

And there is the editors, managers and publicity's business... the more they delay it, the bigger'n faster will be the salerates. It's a pity, cause Spanish editor did the same with aFfC. They said they were waiting for DwD to be released in English to translate it and so, release aFfC and DwD together in Spain. After more than one year and a half, they had to accept DwD wasn't about to be released for a long time... despite they had knew it from the beginning, cause slow DwD progress is a widely known issue.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 09:30:35 am by Nahadiel »

buminabox

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 08:59:06 am »
I hope Victarion and Loras are POV characters in aDwD.

Agent Griff

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 01:20:49 pm »
I really like Loras. I was genuinely happy for Sansa when she thought she was actually going to marry him.

pil313

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 02:02:20 am »
Loras is likeable however he can come across as a bit of a tosser at some points.

buminabox

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 08:55:41 pm »
I thought this was sort of funny(don't look if you haven't finished the books);

Offline Zenosknight

• Guildsman
  • Success is measured in blood; yours or the enemys
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 08:03:06 am »
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOOLOL

Pardon my french. :-[

pil313

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 02:34:40 am »
The life of Sansa all summed up and can be read in about 30 seconds fantastic

Night Ninja

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 11:33:23 am »
Is anyone keeping up with the ASOIAF RPG?

pil313

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 04:06:18 am »
there is an ASOFAI RPG coming out?!?!?!?!