Author Topic: Bug Reports for v0.6.3  (Read 64403 times)

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
Bug Reports for v0.6.3
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:52:57 pm »
Bug reports for this version are going to work differently. Since the next version is going to be an all-bug-fix update/code cleaning expedition, I need volunteers for the following:

1. All bushi missions: Nobuo
2. All ronin mission: Seran
3. All merchant missions
4. Dojo (player and NPC training): Ron
5. Extra missions (Sanda bandits, the mountain bandits mission from En-ryakuji, etc)

This will be first come first served, and no more than three per catagory. I would like large amounts of detail (screen caps are best, especially for script errors). What you should be looking for is 1) Do the missions work? Does it show up on the quest screen? Does the quest log update properly as the quest changes state? Does it end properly? Does the reward work for successful completion? 2) How stable are the dojo? It would be best to test this one character at a time. Be sure to note places and NPC names. NOTE: every game message shows up on the log, so if you miss getting a screen cap of the message, screen cap the log.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:25:32 pm by fujiwara »

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bug Reports for v0.6.3
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:56:39 am »
Also everybody try to check out as many of the new weapons as possible.  I need to know if there are any graphics glitches, bad stats, or anything else along those lines that might be out of place.  Most of them were sent in completely untested... bugs are likely.

I've been trying to go through some of them, but I haven't seen near all.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 04:35:52 am »
I got a flash, in purple, that said "shoen initilization disabled" (or something like that).  I hadn't done anything special, particularly not related to that (game just started).  Don't know what it means, but "disabled" sounded like it shouldn't be there.  If I see it again, or if any sort of pattern seems to emerge, I'll edit this post with further data.

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 05:03:57 am »
I should have mentioned this: There may be some purple messages that flash across the screen. These are debugging notes to myself, as some stuff has been broken on purpose since it hasn't been fully tested yet. The 'Shoen initialization disabled' message is one of them. They should in no way affect gameplay.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 05:58:29 am »
Dojo at Imazu gives archery skill, but the test is done with bokken.

Edit:
Dojo at Haga seems to have no "follow way of the kengo" option ... unless it keys off of something I am unaware of.

(Can anybody confirm that?)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 08:11:06 am by Ron Losey »

Offline nobuo

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 02:30:06 pm »
I'll gladly sign up for the bushi missions.  I need to get to a computer where I can download the updated version and then I'll get on it.  Sucks not having the 'net at home >< 

*edit*

Library saved my life.  Surprised they let me download it actually.  But now I'll be able to have some stuff posted this weekend probably.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:26:55 pm by nobuo »

Seran

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 03:29:46 pm »
Something tells me this is all my fault, since it seems most everyone else has the new version working fine, but I keep getting a crash-to-desktop RGL error whenever I move into the game world itself. I've tried loading a character from the previous version, along with creating a Yamana bushi and ronin from scratch, and I've gotten it for every time I've tried.

I first tried installing the new directly over the old version, but that didn't work, three tries and all. Deleted the entire ONR folder, reinstalled purely the new version, three tries, nothing. I remember Ron Losey had to fix the alpha channels for the tsuba to show properly on the swords (right?), so I played around with throwing on the little patch he gave us a while ago on top of the new version just to check, but again, no luck.

The exact error is: "Unable to get technique with name specular_alpha_cutouts." The only option is "Okay," and it immediately freezes when it comes up, and CTDs once I hit Okay. It happens after the game itself fully loads, when I would normally be looking at the game map.

I'll keep screwing around with it, but I think I'm in over my head at the moment. Though chances are it's something really simple I overlooked. D=

Once I get it working, I'll gladly look into trying out all the ronin stuff, as that's what I always play as, and I'd love helping out.

Offline nobuo

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 04:42:21 pm »
I'm experiencing the exact same problem.  Installed new ONR over the old, deleted entire onr file and reinstalled, deleted entire M&B file and reinstalled, rebooted, got the same error every time.  Nothing has worked so far.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 08:11:44 pm »
Aw, crud ... "Unable to get technique with name specular_alpha_cutouts."

That's the shaders.  That's the MB.FX file that has to go in the M&B root directory.  Those of us who already had the file from testing the graphics upgrade package are having no problem, but apparently the installer didn't include it, or didn't put it in the right place.

For now, the file link and description is here:
http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,1235.msg24313.html#msg24313

Just get the MB.FX file from that archive and replace the one in your M&B root directory  (not the OnR root directory).  That will get you up and running until Fujiwara gets a patch ready.

-------------------
Uh ... Fujiwara .... it looks like you really screwed that one up, big time.

Seran

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »
I knew there was a damned second patch, but I couldn't remember what it was. Oh, well, got it working!

Here's two minor things I've noticed as a ronin, tooling around Kyoto: Check out the Yari Ashigaru in the back. I had 14, and only three started with yumi. The others started with tiny ana-akeki-like weapons (don't know the name) that they threw at the enemy. Is that purposeful?

Also, the saya for both the tachi and the long tachi (seen here) has an error in the top. I believe the uchi-gatana saya texture is in use, resulting in the doubling of the hilt pattern. You can see it in the previous picture, but it's clearer here, with the sword drawn. And no, I had no alternate weapon; my character had only the clothes he wore and a long tachi.

Minor, as I mentioned. =/ Now, off to check out real substance.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 10:04:41 pm »
If you mean the cross-hatched silk wrapping on the last 8 inches of the saya ... that's not an error.  That is in fact a very common way to decorate the saya on tachi in the Onin War period, and I worked very hard to get it looking right.

Here - this picture is an overpriced modern-made piece of junk, but it shows what you're looking at.

The yumi ashigaru having thrown weapons as possible inventory is a bad error (it screws up the function that guarantees they have a ranged weapon - they get the wrong one) ... but fortunately easy to fix.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:08:18 pm by Ron Losey »

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 10:36:09 pm »
No real patch for this, but I have uploaded the mb.fx file as a zip archive to the Repository. The link is on the New Releases thread.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 01:48:48 am »
Make that both Haga and Oya, where the dojo lacks the "follow way of the kengo" option ... and I haven't got back to Kyoto or Yodo yet, but I'll check them next.

Haven't tested the shoen code yet either ... have to figure out how to do that as soon as I can.  It continues to blurt out inexplicable error messages from time to time.

Has this release been an unmitigated disaster?  Or is it just me?

------------------------------

Edit:
Dojo at Kyoto is also bugged - same as the others.

Yodo dojo is functional, but the weapons rack is missing and the weapons are oddly hanging in space, the way bricks don't.

(Apologies to Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy")

How in the devil does one get involved in the Shoen system?  Do you have to be born a merchant or something?  Who do you talk to?

--------------------------------------------

Edit again:

The companion dojo training is still set at like one hour or something ... not a week as listed.  Also, where the quest is listed (and in the completion message), both the name of the person training and the location are blank.  "   has completed training at    ."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:09:05 am by Ron Losey »

Offline nobuo

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 12:31:50 pm »
Aw, crud ... "Unable to get technique with name specular_alpha_cutouts."

That's the shaders.  That's the MB.FX file that has to go in the M&B root directory.  Those of us who already had the file from testing the graphics upgrade package are having no problem, but apparently the installer didn't include it, or didn't put it in the right place.

For now, the file link and description is here:
http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,1235.msg24313.html#msg24313

Just get the MB.FX file from that archive and replace the one in your M&B root directory  (not the OnR root directory).  That will get you up and running until Fujiwara gets a patch ready.

-------------------
Uh ... Fujiwara .... it looks like you really screwed that one up, big time.

What's interesting is I switched from using directx 9 to directx 7 and it works.  Of course it doesn't render as good as it should but it works.  I'll apply the shader fix asap.

A bug I found, this one's annoying too:  I can't get either Yamana or Hosokawa to assign me to a shugo. (See screenshots below)

In order to get the river pirate quest, even with the letter of introduction to see Hosokawa, you have to get the quest from Yamana.  Hosokawa will not give you the quest.  He just gives you the options "Tell me about yourself" which he then shows you his stats and "Leave".

Once I get the quest from Yamana, upon completing it, I get the completion message but neither Hosokawa nor Yamana recognize the quest as complete.  They just give me the “If you want my allegiance it is unwise to tarry.” message.  I have tried it being aligned with both Yamana and Hosokawa.  I also get the same results if I just talk to Yamana and attempt to complete the quest.  If I go to talk to Hosokawa after having completed it, it just jumps straight to the allegiance message.

[Edit - cleaned this up to make it easier to read]

Quest completed (when aligned with Hosokawa): FIXED
Quest completed log message
Quest completed display
Quest completed display II - Notice how it tells me to talk to Nobuo (myself) to claim the reward.

Message from Hosokawa/Yamana: FIXED
Hosokawa unwise message
Yamana unwise message

Quest completed (when aligned with Yamana): FIXED
Quest complete
Quest complete II - Mentions me again as the person to talk to to complete the quest.

Message from Yamana: FIXED
Yamana unwise message

This one is probably much more minor, I don't have screencaps for it either unfortunately.

I was chasing a band of river pirates, when they were intercepted by Hosokawa scouts.  They battled, and I aided the scouts.  When the battle was over, I gained favor with Hosokawa, and then got the hostile message screen (with the scouts) before entering the loot screen.  Everything was normal after that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 09:38:38 pm by fujiwara »

Offline Sibilance

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 02:38:52 pm »
This one is probably much more minor, I don't have screencaps for it either unfortunately.

I was chasing a band of river pirates, when they were intercepted by Hosokawa scouts.  They battled, and I aided the scouts.  When the battle was over, I gained favor with Hosokawa, and then got the hostile message screen (with the scouts) before entering the loot screen.  Everything was normal after that.

This shows up in other mods, so it's probably a Native quirk.