Author Topic: Suggestions thread.  (Read 24825 times)

Brigadier Hussey

Re: Suggestions thread.
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 04:37:22 PM »
 :shock:

Marcus

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 04:43:10 PM »
Aaand, breathe.

If i read that out I would have dropped dead from asphyxiation by now. :P

Lanky

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2007, 02:15:24 AM »
Christ man. Just. . . what the hell?

Pellidon

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2007, 12:23:15 PM »
how about we just let him release it, then make all the suggestions. at least then we'll be playing the mod while we wait  :lol:

broodwarcd

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 10:37:49 PM »
me: I'm for that
My split personality: i am against it
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 10:40:37 PM by broodwarcd »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 06:17:56 AM »
Not really a "suggestion" as such, but this seemed the best place to put it...

Do you need a weapons adviser?

The "Realistic Combat Model" developed for the other mods doesn't really apply too well to the age of sail.  However, if you don't just have a weapon damage balance that you're really fond of, I could probably come up with some thoughts on the subject.

I've offered the RCM to most of the other major mods, so I figured I should say something here too.

Ron

Yoshiboy

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2007, 04:38:27 AM »
Well, something I would like is someone who was more focused on sorting out weapon balance and making the items in the game varied and fun to use. Realistic or non-realistic, I don't really mind as long as its good :) I'll send you a PM

bascavia10

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 09:50:52 AM »
I would like to see some more uniforms for the 3 country's as well for the pirate's. Guns enough, but it will be better if you also make an boatseller or something on wich you can buy boats. Its now very hard to get an war galleon, because you can't buy it. Futher it is a great mod. Good job.

Good-bye,

Bascavia10

Yoshiboy

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 11:53:28 AM »
On the issue of buying boats. What are people's general opinion on it? Make it so you can buy boats or make it so you can only get them through boarding?

Pellidon

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 04:44:24 PM »
i say they should be buyable, but grossly expensive (obviously depending on size). also, maybe it'd be cool for the option to comission the construction of a ship for a slightly reduced cost but it takes several days (i.e. buying rom merchants is retail, comissioning the construction of a ship is wholesale).

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 07:29:37 PM »
i say they should be buyable, but grossly expensive (obviously depending on size). also, maybe it'd be cool for the option to comission the construction of a ship for a slightly reduced cost but it takes several days (i.e. buying rom merchants is retail, comissioning the construction of a ship is wholesale).

No, the opposite there ... construction of a new ship to your custom requirements should be more expensive.  Buying whatever shot-up junk somebody sold last week should be a lot cheaper, but your selection would be rather limited, and their condition might not be perfect.

Should also take a lot longer than "several days" ... you want the top of the line, you wait for it.

Pellidon

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 08:12:51 PM »
well duh it would take more than several days, but if you put a realistic time frame in, it would take way too long. but it makes sense to have the customized one be more expensive. it'd be cool to put modifiers onto ships that make them better or worse like "armored" "refurbished" "damaged" "leaky" i dono, you can probably figure out what would be appropriate. i know you're the realistic freak around here, i was just giving ideas.

night raider

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 08:52:16 PM »
I don't know the scope this version will take, but how about getting a mediocre ship if commissioned by a faction (English, Spanish etc.).  If you want to buy your own customized ship, then I think it should be prohibitably expensive, so only a very wealthy pirate could afford to do so.  Otherwise what you steal is what you get.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 09:43:32 PM »
Well, realistically, it would probably take a year to get a ship built in Tortuga at the time.  That would be too much realism.  Forget realism ... talk balance.

Even ignoring realism, the time penalty on getting a custom ship built needs to be large enough to be a serious inconvenience.  The benefits of getting a better ship need to be balanced with some appropriate penalty (besides just cost).  Having to shell out a lot of money, and then not getting anything back for a month, would sort of relay the message that this was a major deal.

That would contrast it from, for example, buying whatever battered sloop somebody just sold (after they captured it).  That could also get expensive, but you could take it out just as soon as you could get provisions aboard.

-----------------------------

On that note ... most pirate-themed games tend to screw up the cost difference between personal items and major hardware like a ship.  Let's be sure not to do that.  Sure, a fine sword could add up to a year's wages ... but an 800 ton ship, plus 48 brass cannon, well... you get the idea.  That's a mistake that really detracts from the feel of the game, realism or no.

Azoram

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2007, 11:53:38 AM »
How about some piratey music?