login

Author Topic: Martial arts question  (Read 2084 times)

Rymac

Martial arts question
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:52:30 pm »
I dont know anything about this period wich the mod is set in but im thinking about the shinobi class(or whatever the name is) Shouldnt they be trained in martial arts, would be cool to see some kicks and stuff in the game,,any plan of adding this?, peace

Gloranor

Re: Martial arts question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:45:42 pm »
From what I've read, this isn't currently possible (no martial arts skill, combat is hardcoded etc.) - but it could've been changed in the last few versions. Regardless, I don't think you could do real unarmed combat with the M&B engine without modifying it greatly (kicks and strikes would require only new animation - grips, throws etc., though, are a whole different kind of beast).

Also, every samurai would probably have some training in unarmed combat techniques (based on my general understanding of the samurai and common sense (if you're going to train since childhood with swords, bows, knifes and a whole range of other ways of killing people violently, it would be glaring omission to not at least have some training and plan for when you're unable to use those) - could be that during the time of the ounin no ran this was different, though).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 05:39:08 pm by Gloranor »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Martial arts question
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:28:43 pm »
We considered replacing some of the "drunken rednecks brawling" unarmed strikes with some grappling-type moves, but it is going to require both custom animation and special scripts to define the effect of such ... both of which are going to be a real pain, from a technical standpoint.

And yeah, the "unarmed" (including combination lightly armed) combat techniques of the ninja were effectively the same stuff they were teaching to everybody - samurai, ashigaru, women and children....