Author Topic: Voice work  (Read 11015 times)

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
Voice work
« on: February 23, 2008, 10:03:51 am »
I've long contemplated how to add spoken Japanese to the mod, since right now the silence is deafening, and the battle cries are just silly. Problem is, my Japanese sounds like a Texan speaking Japanese. It sounds good when I say it, but when I listen to the playback it's glaringly obvious that my accent is way thicker than I thought (it reminds me of the use of country-sounding voice actors in English-dubbed anime for the back-woods Japanese hick characters...funny, if you know what I'm talking about). If anyone is interested in picking up the guantlet, especially if you are a native speaker, I've got a short list of male and female parts that need recording. If you've got a girlfriend who wants to jump-start her seiyuu career, here's the place to start!

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Aethelwyn

Re: Voice work
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:36:16 pm »
Sadly I think the only voiceover I'm qualified for is "little old lady."  :P  And none of my friends really speak Japanese (despite my best efforts to encourage otherwise).

Good luck -- voice work would be really cool to see for ONR.  8)

Offline Finwulf

• Apprentice
  • Fight fire with water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:01:24 pm »
Well, I could TRY to do some of the male voices. What lines are you suggesting?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 09:34:44 pm »
Sadly I think the only voiceover I'm qualified for is "little old lady."  :P  And none of my friends really speak Japanese (despite my best efforts to encourage otherwise).

Good luck -- voice work would be really cool to see for ONR.  8)

Hey, the "little old lady" sound would work.  You can't really tell someone's age in a voice recording anyway.

(Of course I don't speak Japanese either.  Fluent French, really crummy Chinese ... nothing that will help here.)

carlo

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:17:42 am »
hey i got tons of Samurai films i could rip the sounds of some of my dvds  :green: i dont know how you put the audio in the mod so i could send some small clips to you over MSN then you can rip the screaming and sounds off

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:34:01 am »
hey i got tons of Samurai films i could rip the sounds of some of my dvds  :green: i dont know how you put the audio in the mod so i could send some small clips to you over MSN then you can rip the screaming and sounds off

Um ... we would prefer not to use commercial copyrighted material, if it's all the same to you.  Not like anyone would really notice, since it's a free distribution, but it still looks bad if anybody asks.

Not to mention, sound quality on clips ripped from a DVD is not going to be great.  You lose a little every time you change formats and such, plus movies have deliberately uneven volume (i.e. not everybody is facing the listener and speaking clearly) - which makes it hard to wash them through an equalizer enough times to come out suitable for game use.  (The game already adjusts volume and the like, assuming the sample clips to be the best.  If the sample is not so clear, it degrades pretty badly.)

So I'm going to say that is probably a bad idea.

Even Fujiwara's "Texas cowboy in Japan" routine would likely come out sounding better.

DudeWheresMyTank

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 04:29:34 pm »
I think it's going to be difficult to find fluent japanese speakers in north america. I don't know of anywhere with a large Japansese community. It seems they just don't immigrate in large numbers, but nearly every major city I've been to has a Chinatown, or East-Indian district. I've only ever met 4 japanese persons in my my years of schooling, and they were all girls. Maybe Ron, being in Asia, can more easiily find someone? Do you know any Japanese students?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:33:27 pm by DudeWheresMyTank »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 05:39:50 pm »
Um ... I'm in Xi'an, People's Republic of China.  Japanese people don't come in here.  In fact, most Chinese people are still a little angry about World War 2, and being Japanese is a good way to get beaten by a mob around here.

You'll have better luck almost anywhere else.

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 06:27:46 pm »
San Fransisco has a large Japanese community, and also Seattle I think, but that's it. Only a few here and there in Texas.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Offline nobuo

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 10:38:52 am »
So you speak Texanese too eh Fujiwara?  I've never recorded anything I've said, but I'm guessing I'd have similiar results.

Offline fujiwara

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 12:15:11 pm »
So you speak Texanese too eh Fujiwara?  I've never recorded anything I've said, but I'm guessing I'd have similiar results.

Yes I do; I sound better singing bluegrass than I do gagaku  ::)

Kasemacher

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 06:16:03 pm »
Hawaii has an abundance of Japanese people when compared to the rest of the United States of America.

Otherwise, I am not aware of anyone in the MB community that speaks fluent Japanese.

Quail

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 02:00:18 pm »
I have a couple friends (girls) at school who can speak Japanese fluently as a second language, but I doubt they will help you guys, but I'll ask anyway.

PM me the lines you want them to say, and I'll ask em.

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
  • My scalp's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 08:30:33 am »
Who knows what 15th C Japanese actually sounded like, maybe they all had Texan accents.  ;)

Offline nobuo

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 03:54:38 pm »
Haha.  It'd be one heck of a boat ride from Texas to Japan today, let alone in the 15th century.  Plus I don't think there were any hoss cowboys in Texas at that time yet.