login

Author Topic: [OLD] Craftmod Community Expansion Project v1.5 OPEN SOURCE  (Read 13139 times)

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
[OLD] Craftmod Community Expansion Project v1.5 OPEN SOURCE
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:37:09 AM »
This is the thread for the Craftmod CEP source code.

The .808 source is up for download at the M&B Repository here:
http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=4&lid=306

This source is released under the GNU General Public Licence and may be used in your mods without permission, as long as you don't ask money for the project in which you're using Craftmod code.

Irenically,
Winter
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:54:28 AM by Winter »

Buxton

Re: Craftmod Community Expansion Project v1.5 OPEN SOURCE
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 06:54:48 AM »
I can't thank you enough Winter, I've been waiting ages to see how you do it  :).

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 08:03:04 AM »
I can't thank you enough Winter, I've been waiting ages to see how you do it  :).

In general? Messily and without elegance. :P

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:59:27 PM »
Hearing "GPL" scares me. Does anyone here who's a lawyer (or who's more familiar than I am with the effects of the GPL) know what that license means for algorithms and character/setting/etc IP? I don't want to do something I'll really regret...

And now that I think of it, having to release my code to the world would be bad anyways, particularly once I get underway with the story. So, I think I'll pass on this -- but Winter, your generosity continues to astonish me.

(Especially given that I've been dead to the forum for several months now and still haven't recieved any pointed questions! See my subforum, the post "I'm not dead," for a feeble attempt at an excuse... :P)

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 12:45:32 AM »
Hearing "GPL" scares me. Does anyone here who's a lawyer (or who's more familiar than I am with the effects of the GPL) know what that license means for algorithms and character/setting/etc IP? I don't want to do something I'll really regret...

And now that I think of it, having to release my code to the world would be bad anyways, particularly once I get underway with the story. So, I think I'll pass on this -- but Winter, your generosity continues to astonish me.

(Especially given that I've been dead to the forum for several months now and still haven't recieved any pointed questions! See my subforum, the post "I'm not dead," for a feeble attempt at an excuse... :P)

I'm not a lawyer either, I just didn't know what else to do with regards to keeping the 'for-pay mod' people from using it. Without a good licence it would've been very sticky. I'll be happy to make exceptions if you want to keep your source closed but will still release your Craftmod-using mods for free.

So, will you perhaps reconsider?

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 05:52:10 PM »
I'm not a lawyer either, I just didn't know what else to do with regards to keeping the 'for-pay mod' people from using it. Without a good licence it would've been very sticky. I'll be happy to make exceptions if you want to keep your source closed but will still release your Craftmod-using mods for free.

So, will you perhaps reconsider?

With pleasure! :)

The GPL has thorny and/or scary IP ramifications, but a simpler statement -- something to the effect of the "Old Angband license" (http://www.thangorodrim.net/development/opensource.html) or a basic "not-for-profit use only" -- would work just as well, I think. Heck, if nothing else, just say that "Craftmod source may not be used for any mod sold, and no mod which has ever incorporated Craftmod source, even if it does not currently incorporate such, may be sold." That would work...

I would almost suggest requiring royalty payments, but knowing the quality of Craftmod, they'd have to be pretty high -- Craftmod wouldn't fit all that well in, say, 1066, but I could see someone creating a mod that was basically a Craftmod wrapper and trying to sell it. After all, the crafting side of Craftmod is practically Mount and Runescape, and that's just the crafting side...

(For myself, I don't expect to use much of the "crafting" side of Craftmod, but I want a crack at some of your software engineering. Craftmod does some awe-inspiring stuff -- the 'camp engine' especially. And now that I think about it, I probably will start releasing my source again -- I just don't want to get anything involved with the GPL.)

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 12:19:43 AM »

(For myself, I don't expect to use much of the "crafting" side of Craftmod, but I want a crack at some of your software engineering. Craftmod does some awe-inspiring stuff -- the 'camp engine' especially. And now that I think about it, I probably will start releasing my source again -- I just don't want to get anything involved with the GPL.)

Really? The camp engine isn't that complex or advanced until you get to the ambush system, which can pretty much be entirely stripped from the camping code with little problems.

The crafting side of Craftmod seems to be what people are most interested in, going by the posts and messages I've received since its creation.

Offline ex_ottoyuhr

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 11:16:04 PM »

Really? The camp engine isn't that complex or advanced until you get to the ambush system, which can pretty much be entirely stripped from the camping code with little problems.

I think it was the ambush system that primarily interested me -- you're right, now that I think of it, the camp proper would probably be more legwork than anything. Well, I'll know shortly...

The crafting side of Craftmod seems to be what people are most interested in, going by the posts and messages I've received since its creation.

Of course, it's also the part that's something like obvious how to write. :) The crafting system's not my thing, but I see where it has its appeal -- I'm reminded of my own playing through FF5 and the original Front Mission for the customization systems, despite thinking they were both pretty stupid... :)