login

Author Topic: Craftmod 903 Back In The Ring  (Read 5445 times)

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Craftmod 903 Back In The Ring
« on: February 10, 2008, 12:10:20 PM »
As an offshoot of my work on Storymod, I got to thinking of ways to improve Craftmod's clunky and poorly-moddable crafting system.

One thing led to another, and today I've ended up with a fully-functional crafting system, completely rewritten from scratch. Instead of pissing about with troop slots on trp_player to keep track of resource use, it directly manipulates the player's inventory items for resource use and will no longer require specific ordering of module_items (except for ease of item slot assignment, but that can be chucked out the window if you want to manually assign all the slots). It also no longer requires creating new dialogue entries in order to make individual items craftable. Just set a few slots on your item and it can be crafted right off the bat. All the old hacks and compromises have vanished.

I won't be updating the obsolete camping and ambush systems, but they were never the point of Craftmod anyway. The point has always been to show what could be done with a little scripting ingenuity. And now we have a proper crafting system that can be dropped into any mod without much hassle.

I'll be releasing this open-source when I get all the items and item types incorporated (item types made with constants instead of plain unhelpful integers this time).

My one question is, is there any demand?

Offline Branko

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Craftmod 903 Back In The Ring
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 01:36:10 PM »
I'm no moder.
But probably a lot of mods could/should incorporate this, perhaps you should post this over at taleworlds, if you haven't already.

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 02:13:38 PM »
Yeah, sure there is. Once native has settled down I can imagine plenty of mods would likely to include an off the shelf crafting system.  Slicker the better.

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 12:54:43 PM »
Yeah, sure there is. Once native has settled down I can imagine plenty of mods would likely to include an off the shelf crafting system.  Slicker the better.

Would you pick it up for TLD? With a small amount of adaptation, it is pretty much off-the-shelf now, and I'd be happy to help you work it in.

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 01:03:46 PM »

Would you pick it up for TLD? With a small amount of adaptation, it is pretty much off-the-shelf now, and I'd be happy to help you work it in.

I always figured I'd put it in at some point but I'm not doing any scripting lately. I probably wont pick scripting up again for awhile.  But sure, thanks, once I get back to it (and port, etc)  I can think about specific ways to make use of it.

Predak

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 04:42:02 PM »
As an offshoot of my work on Storymod, I got to thinking of ways to improve Craftmod's clunky and poorly-moddable crafting system.

One thing led to another, and today I've ended up with a fully-functional crafting system, completely rewritten from scratch. Instead of pissing about with troop slots on trp_player to keep track of resource use, it directly manipulates the player's inventory items for resource use and will no longer require specific ordering of module_items (except for ease of item slot assignment, but that can be chucked out the window if you want to manually assign all the slots). It also no longer requires creating new dialogue entries in order to make individual items craftable. Just set a few slots on your item and it can be crafted right off the bat. All the old hacks and compromises have vanished.

I won't be updating the obsolete camping and ambush systems, but they were never the point of Craftmod anyway. The point has always been to show what could be done with a little scripting ingenuity. And now we have a proper crafting system that can be dropped into any mod without much hassle.

I'll be releasing this open-source when I get all the items and item types incorporated (item types made with constants instead of plain unhelpful integers this time).

My one question is, is there any demand?

Yes! I demand it! ;)

Duuvian

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 12:35:09 AM »
Since as your the only person crazy enough to make a crafting system for MB, I would figure with one person saying they demand it, it figures in your favor in the supply and demand department  :green:

It would be a nice addition. It would be fun to craft leather armor out of human or elf skin in TLD too. Just my lil suggestion  :D