login

Author Topic: New Mod Base  (Read 6715 times)

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
New Mod Base
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:30:20 AM »
I've been wasting time lately porting Storymod C2 to 0.903, and it's like getting a lobotomy. Nowadays incorporating any Native functionality into a major mod is a massive pain in the arse, and I'm sick of it.

What I propose to do is create a new, more streamlined and more understandable base for new mods to be built on. Starting with towns and such, I want to remake it all, cut out the unused and unnecessary code and simplify what's there in order to make the whole mess less painful to work with.

Would anyone be interested in helping out with this endeavour? Scripters of any skill level are welcome and required in order to put this out within a realistic timeframe.

Offline Ahadhran

• Mysterious Old Man
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: New Mod Base
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »
I am encountering a similar level of headache porting Darkmod, such that it has got to the point that I can't find any patience for it on top of the headaches I already have from Biology, Organic chemistry and Calculus  :lol:.

I think putting together some sort of Unified base would be a great idea. Especially since we could have modding relevant comments on script mechanisms written into it to further clarity and ease of use. One thing to keep in mind however is how much the the module system changes from .903 to the final release or even just the next version which sounds like may be released in a couple weeks. I don't know how successful communication between the devs and the mod community is, but maybe we should get an idea of the magnitude of changes from them to know if its worth doing this before the final release (scheduled for 2nd quarter 2008).

That said, I would be willing to work in what ways I could to further a project like this. My skill is probably roughly an intermediate level, but I usually pick up on things quickly.

Offline Cartread

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:46:37 PM »
Good idea.  Native is much more complicated then it used to be.  I'm wondering how this will be carried out--simply getting rid of a lot of features should be the first task?  The huge factions info in native is useless for modding, I say.

I've done a lot of cutting for my Peasants mod, so it's more similar to 751 or 808.  I'll post the source within a day and it may be useful for this.

I haven't played Chel's M&B Classic mod, but it could also be helpful.

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »
Feature removal will be big in the beginning, yes, especially all the random quest clutter and the poorly-drawn-up economy. The plan is to start from an almost-blank slate.

What I would most like to do is separate the individual blocks of features into their own script files, so that they can be dropped in just by loading the appropriate files. For example, all siege-related stuff in one file, all battle-related stuff in one file, and so on. Make Native properly modular rather than the current interdependent nightmare.

HardCode

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:38:26 PM »
This sounds like a good idea. I'd like to have fisheye's Band of Warriors Hero management script in a base mod set. It relies on having module_items.py mapped out in a specific way in order for auto-looting to work out. I could help with that part. Do you plan on keeping Native items in the code base?

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 04:56:36 AM »
This sounds like a good idea. I'd like to have fisheye's Band of Warriors Hero management script in a base mod set. It relies on having module_items.py mapped out in a specific way in order for auto-looting to work out. I could help with that part. Do you plan on keeping Native items in the code base?

It'd be easy enough to separate the appropriate items into a new module file mapped out specifically as required. Mods would still have to replace/adjust those items to their own needs, though.

Since module_items is one of the true source files, being dependent on no other module file, there's no reason not to keep them. We're still going to scratch and burn practically everything out of module_troops though.

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 07:08:56 AM »
I should have a working base set out pretty soon. There'll be more opportunities to chop and separate features from there, so that's where you guys come in.

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »
Alright, the first version (call it a beta) is available for download here:

http://crossedswords.co.nr/stuff/Modbase903.zip

It's had most of the features cut out and what is still there has been organised a lot better. Any big conversion can be built on this base much quicker and more easily than on Native.

The script files have been trickiest about getting removed. If anyone else has some time to hack through them and cut down further, please do!

Offline Cartread

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 01:11:51 AM »
Nicely done Winter.  I wish I had this back in November.  I didn't see much else to take out, but I got rid of all the global variables warnings (I know it's not necessary, but I think it should be done):

Here's how I did it in case you don't want to keep my changes:

$pin_troop
$arena_win_amount

I re-added the Arena Masters dialog and the 2 troop_arrays troops (so the arena mt is more useful).

,and then commented out the following with #~ (so you can edit-find in files them if you want)
, most of these were just assigned to.

in faction scripts:
$pout_party

in dialogs:
$g_talk_troop_faction_relation
$g_talk_troop_party
$g_time_since_last_talk
$g_strength_ratio

in gms:
$quest_given_time
$character_gender
$g_encounter_is_in_village
$qst_collect_taxes_currently_collecting
$g_last_rest_center in scripts, too
$g_last_rest_payment_until

scripts:
$g_encountered_party_type
$g_encountered_party_template
$cant_talk_to_enemy

faction scripts
$merchant_quest_last_offerer
$merchant_offered_quest

modbaseb

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 05:11:43 AM »
Nicely done Winter.  I wish I had this back in November.  I didn't see much else to take out, but I got rid of all the global variables warnings (I know it's not necessary, but I think it should be done):

Here's how I did it in case you don't want to keep my changes:

modbaseb

Thanks, nice one. I personally ignore most of the variable warnings (except use of unassigned locals) because they're usually pointless. The $pin_troop warning, for example, is on a script that is never called -- so of course it never gets the right input!

Anyone who wants to use this should take care to restore/remake the various ranges in module_constants, and set their own gamestart values in module_scripts.

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • My scalp's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 02:37:53 PM »
Dudes, might it not be better to wait for 1.0 for this? Armagan said it'd be out around May. That's like, 4 months away, virtually nothing in modding terms.

I mean the whole point of the exercise is to simplify and reduce effort, etc etc, no sense doing it and then having to port... right?

Offline nema

• Journeyman
  • ... what nema made was outside reality...
    • View Profile
    • Guardians party
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »
Maybe it is a time to prepare such thing for 960, or it is better to wait on 1.0.

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »
Maybe it is a time to prepare such thing for 960, or it is better to wait on 1.0.

I'll wait.