login

Author Topic: Peasants v.1  (Read 53391 times)

Offline Cartread

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Peasants v.1
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:52:14 PM »
Peasants borrows from Lords of the Realm II, Age of Empires II, Heroes of Might and Magic and Sword of the Samurai, and is a turn-based management/builder/strategy mod for M&B.

Talking with this guy is where most of it gets done, week by week:
Time (the game's progression) goes by via dialog rather than by map-time (native).

Build your "region" from the ground up as seasons change:

Summer

Autumn

Winter

There are 4 opposing regions who grow as weeks pass (you can choose Earth, Fire, Water, Metal or Wood):

You can invade them...

Or be invaded...

If they have castle walls built, you need to use a battering ram:

there's archers in the battlement, so use it for cover

There are numerous new features and numerous features taken out of native, so it's quite different.

If you like the games mentioned above, you'll probably enjoy it.

Features I can remember right now:
------------------------------------------------

The goal is to either become allies or conquer the opposing four regions

The scenes are built from the ground up are have much less triangles than native battle scenes (although you can fight bandits on the map and sell them to a younger Ramun at the thieves' guild).

Fixed disappearing chargers, armors

Scenes and map icons change according to what you build and the week (1-48).

-Gather Food, Lumber, Gold, Ore or Stone

-Cultivate Farms, Build Houses, Lumber Mill, Gold Mine, Ore Mine, Stone Quarry, Armory(blacksmith), Training Yard, Stables, Tavern, Windmill, Academy and either a Wooden Palisade or Stone Fortress defense.

-Farms give +50 Food in Summer and +100 in Autumn
-Houses add 5 peasants to your region
-Lumber Mill increases Lumber gathering
-Gold Mine allows...gold mining
-Ore Mine..same
-Stone Quarry..same

-Training Yard trains peasants into militia whom can become troops
-Armory: the blacksmith uses Ore to produce weaponry and armor to equip militia (who join your party as Archers, Crossbowmen, Macemen, Axemen, Pikemen, Swordsmen or Mounted Swordsmen)

-Tavern raises peasant happiness
-Windmill increases Farm Food acquisition
-Academy allows the construction of a Wooden Palisade or Stone Fortress and siege weapons

-Wooden Palisade or Stone Fortress surround your region for defense.

------------------

-Use Food to feed your peasants and troops
-Use Lumber, Stone to build stuff

-Use Gold to build, become allies with the other governors, buy information at the thieves' guild, buy at the market (you can trade resources there as well) or donate to the peasants to raise their happiness and your charisma (makes large parties possible).

-Use Ore for the blacksmith

----------------------------------

I've used Ron's RCM as a base for most items, but somethings ,like shields for example, are like native.

Future plans:
-----------------

more siege types (catapult, belfry)
addition of miscellaneous places to map
ability to talk to all peasants
more diplomatic talks, sabotage, etc.
more background pictures

P.S.
The base of the mod is laid out now, so if anyone would like to contribute features or even just ideas, that'd be nice.

On the repository: http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=7&lid=643
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:13:55 AM by Cartread »

Highlander

Re: Peasants v.1
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:42:49 PM »
Wow, this looks amazing. Haven't played any mods for quite a while, but I guess I'll try this one.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »
looks pretty impressive :) I think I'll try it after all my exams are done ;)
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Cartread

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »
Yeah, give it a play, Highlander. :)

What?  Isn't that in like 5 months or so? ???

DarkAnd

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:46:37 PM »
Dam a we tried to mdo this exactly same thing for the stronghold 2 mod. but forget it is dead now and your mod is great.

Marcus

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »
 :shock:

This is amazing what you've done. I'm downloading and playing now! :D

Yoshiboy

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 06:57:05 PM »
This looks super-cool-groovy

arcka

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »
I'm downloading the mod right now looks awesome! :D.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:40:06 PM »
I assume you're using the latest RCM numbers:

http://rapidshare.com/files/74147766/RCM-native_901.zip.html

Highly advise you stay with my 0.5 on blunt damage.  Otherwise, blunt weapons are going to be FAR too effective against heavy armor, entirely out of proportion to their weight.  (A mop handle should not dent armor better than a sword just because it's "blunt" - it's just a question of weight.)

This is some impressive-looking work ... stuff that I'm sure some of the Major Mods will want to incorporate, as soon as it's completely debugged and confirmed to be playable.  (Actually, OnR, Mesoamerica, and Holy War have all been considering this sort of thing ... I'm sure they would rather include your code than try to write it themselves.)

Marcus

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 10:06:58 PM »
I got a bug while attacking another village, I appear to have defeated all of the soldiers guarding Sir Jacob's village, yet I see no options to take over, I just get the attack options. I click on one of them, and I go to the village, my troops are still, and seconds later it says I've won the battle. Annoying, to say the least.

Offline Cartread

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 10:58:54 PM »
Thanks so far, everyone.

I assume you're using the latest RCM numbers:

http://rapidshare.com/files/74147766/RCM-native_901.zip.html

Highly advise you stay with my 0.5 on blunt damage.  Otherwise, blunt weapons are going to be FAR too effective against heavy armor, entirely out of proportion to their weight.  (A mop handle should not dent armor better than a sword just because it's "blunt" - it's just a question of weight.)

This is some impressive-looking work ... stuff that I'm sure some of the Major Mods will want to incorporate, as soon as it's completely debugged and confirmed to be playable.  (Actually, OnR, Mesoamerica, and Holy War have all been considering this sort of thing ... I'm sure they would rather include your code than try to write it themselves.)

Yep, I'm using your latest.  Well, I was riding full speed and using a mace and couldn't even hurt a swordsman, so I lowered that (although they did have huge +defense shields at the time).  I also figured the power from blunts is in that unlike swords which hit armor ridges and slide off, blunt weapons (clubs, not pointed) simply impact and occasionally knocked helmet-wearers unconscious.

I got a bug while attacking another village, I appear to have defeated all of the soldiers guarding Sir Jacob's village, yet I see no options to take over, I just get the attack options. I click on one of them, and I go to the village, my troops are still, and seconds later it says I've won the battle. Annoying, to say the least.

I thought I got rid of that...Have you tried waiting on the map for a bit?  It's caused by trying to use "infantry_first" and there being no infantry, but I thought I added an infantry troop whenever there were none..
Well, waiting on the map should hopefully heal them and have them appear in the battle again.  You can go to the thieves' guild to see how many troops he has.
Well, thanks, I'll have to think of a better solution to this.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 01:03:32 AM »
The damage to armor penetration ratios were good as I had them.  Lowering the armor protection value against blunt will unbalance the game unless the damage of the blunt weapons was also lowered.

As for the armor value on the shields, that is the shield's armor, not the user's.  My modifications to the shields were so that they could be broken by one or two really heavy blows, but you could not just wear them out by tossing rocks at them.  In M&B, if a shield or block is in place, it is completely impossible to hit the target from that angle. 

And no, maces and such are not a completely dead blow - they also glance or slide off if the hit is less than perfect.  Also, sheer impact often does damage with swords even if the armor itself is not really damaged - which is how greatswords got their current rating, such that a few points of power strike could still cause injury even against plate armors, even though there is no way in the laws of physics to put a sword blade through 4mm of hardened steel with anything less than a hydraulic press.  A one-handed mace, like a one-handed sword, is not as great of an anti-armor weapon as you might think.  If it was, both swords and armor would have become obsolete when people discovered they could fight with shop hammers.

Anyway, I do advise the whole package of numbers.  Little changes can be highly unbalancing.  I was using the Native numbers on shields until recently, with no end of complaints (especially on Mesoamerica) ... finally forcing the rework that you saw.  Also, an attempt at a few small changes like that were utterly crippling to game play on "Pirates of Calradia" ... an error that I am assured will be fixed in the next version.

You may, however, have balance issues:
If troops are so heavily armored that maces are ineffective, troops should go to heavier weapons - two-handed warhammers and the like.  If you're using mostly Native models, I can send you some replacements for the stone mallets in Native (stuff I made for Yogi's weapon resize project, originally) that will put some anti-armor capabilities into your troops.  If you need those (i.e. haven't already replaced the ugly things with something nicer), I'll write up some stats for them and send them to you (just send me an e-mail address or MSN account or some way to contact you).

Offline KON_Air

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 02:42:39 AM »
Just passing by, don't tell Modplosion mob I'm here;

You can use "^" as line breaks in dialogues instead of filling a line with "*********". As a matter of fact you can use "^" as break in any string.

Like;
[talker, "x", "Peasants available bla bla^Food stocks something^Building something is burning^something else", "yzs" etc, etc.]

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 02:52:09 AM »

What?  Isn't that in like 5 months or so? ???

nah, I meant those at the end of the winter semester. Which is now and they will end around the half of February.
I'm still looking forward to playing this :)
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Marcus

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 08:09:39 AM »

I thought I got rid of that...Have you tried waiting on the map for a bit?  It's caused by trying to use "infantry_first" and there being no infantry, but I thought I added an infantry troop whenever there were none..
Well, waiting on the map should hopefully heal them and have them appear in the battle again.  You can go to the thieves' guild to see how many troops he has.
Well, thanks, I'll have to think of a better solution to this.
Well, similar things have happened with the other settlements, but after a couple of battles or so, just leaving the battle tends to win you the settlement.