login

Author Topic: TLD: Suggestions  (Read 866670 times)

tryadelion

Re: TLD: Suggestions
« Reply #2175 on: May 04, 2010, 01:50:37 PM »
i suggest 3  ex-gondorian citadel gurds (service finished). Horthan, Carthan, and Merthan (brothers, each one in a different city. they have very different feelings...)

and  some dunedain riders would be a nice addition in rivendell....

Tautalos

« Reply #2176 on: May 04, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »
i suggest 3  ex-gondorian citadel gurds (service finished). Horthan, Carthan, and Merthan (brothers, each one in a different city. they have very different feelings...)

and  some dunedain riders would be a nice addition in rivendell....

I love the idea of old veterans, but citadel guards only exist in Minas Tirith, I believe.
Personaly, an old veteran dunedain would be a great aquisition, considering all the woodskills he'd have.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:15:27 PM by Tautalos »

Aranvardo

« Reply #2177 on: May 04, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »
     But to find a "veteran" high leveled guy in a town... if feels like you want the easy game... you find them and what? pay money for them? nah... it's so much better to earn them by completing tons of quest for our faction commander... I'm just talking about making the bodyguards heroes, so they don't die (if you set that option with the old man) the kind of character they are it's totally up to the devs... but you're right guys, too many heroes take away the fun of having them... they're not special anymore... actually that's why i don't like keeping them after rescue... I'm on day 100 and carry with me: Mablung, Duilin, Julute, Erkebrand, Prince Imrahil, Elfhelm & Orthalion... All of them rescued, except the first three, and I'm losing the feel of the game, almost don't need to worry about battles... i always win so i don't even fight anymore, i just kill whatever approach, Why? because heroes need experience... and they don't die so i don't worry... with normal troops i take care of them and protect them however i can... it's better if the heroes are... i think the word is "scant"(?)
     It' just that... you end up having to look after your "bodyguards"... it makes no sense...

So what about horses? can they follow you around? can you make a command to approach it to your PC?

(Don't you agree that "MOUNT & BLADE" pays too much attention to BLADEs and almost none to MOUNTs???)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:59:08 PM by Aranvardo »

DaBlade

« Reply #2178 on: May 04, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »
I like some of the ideas here :)

Don't know if it's possible to code that "call your horse back" thing, but I'd personally like it. Not sure I'd want it for every horse, but would fit at least well trained horses IMO.

Aranvardo

« Reply #2179 on: May 04, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »
    Sure, like hunters warhorses and chargers only? I totally agree... or only spirited ones... cause normal troops don't use any "enhanced" horses (i believe... I might be wrong with that) so the code can go that way... like (i don't know anything at all  about coding... just thinking and using my imagination here...) if Spirited is a state of the horse you might add the order to follow along with the enhancement in the horse stats... so he can follow you as if it was a troop.. (maybe???)

Aranvardo

« Reply #2180 on: May 05, 2010, 01:05:07 AM »
     Don't forget (since picking it's warband exclusive...) to place lots of quivers on the parapets so you won't go out of ammo while defending a town...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:15:41 AM by Aranvardo »

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: May 05, 2010, 01:33:24 AM »
For companions, there are quite a few possibilities. Would you mind having joke-characters like Lurtz and Sharku? It'd be interesting, certainly.

A miserable wretch in some neutral area, who has been denied by both sides for continuous treason. He tried to profit from the war by playing both sides, and he messed up... now he's wanted for hanging or torture almost anywhere he goes. He's eager to join you, even if it's just to have company which doesn't spit/throw-rocks at him.

A Goblin who wants to make a name for himself. If it wasn't trouble, it'd be neat to give him a smaller skeleton than the typical orc. It turns out he was born defectively small, for some reason (so he looks a similar size to stereotypical movie-goblins), and has a history of carving up orcs who bullied him, when no one is looking. Due to that, and his desire to be a feared orc, he's quite willing to join you.

An Olog-hai survivor from a shock-trooper unit. He's sick of taking orders, so he let his commander take one for him in the last battle. Hiding under a corpse, a escaped in some confusion related to an insane warg. Offering him a semi-equal officer position is enough to take his fancy in your group--perhaps with a cost of money.

If you gain tons of influence with Mordor, perhaps they'd lend you the service of a few of the Ring Wraiths. They'd die in battle like regular soldiers, but they're crazy powerful, always have maximum morale, and they re-spawn at Mordor. You might be allowed a maximum of 3, 4, or 5, depending on what makes sense.

A half-elf. This would be particularly interesting. Feeling lesser among his/her own kind, they rushed off to join the war. Perhaps they'd be in one of the Rohirrim places? They'd have an ear-concealing helemet when you meet them, and avoid the fact they're a half-elf until you squeeze it out of them.

An honourable Haradrim warrior, who urged his clan not to join Mordor. He's ready to kill himself in some place or another, and is reluctant at best to join you.

A Dunlending once of some importance, tossed out when someone else seized power through politics related to Isengard. He's excited at the idea of some revenge, on both his own people and Isengard, but he hates men of Rohan.

A Berserker of Isengard, bored of waiting for his unit to move out when he wants to kill and eat people NOW. Be interesting if he disappeared at time, to represent his unit going out. At the promise of constant battle, he's happy to join, in his own limited-vocabulary way.

One of the werewolves someone keeps mentioning? They're among the last of their kind, and are nervous to go out and die. With reassurance of safety, they'd join.

Perhaps a hobbit vagabond who would be interested to join you just for the fun of it?

For the good side, maybe there's one orc hidden somewhere you can recruit, him being a traitor. Your other companions will hate him and your party will lose morale. So this'd be just for laughs, mainly. On the reverse, the evil side could get a corrupt elf, for the same effects(?).

A bandit who is distraught with grief, because he unknowingly sold out his village/town to Mordor, thinking thme a rival human faciton wanting to take over. He was a murderer, a thief, and other things before, but now he wants to repent himself, after witnessing the terrible slaughter and brutality of his kinsmen. Alternatively, he could be a man of Gondor, Rohan, whichever.

There are various things you could do with these companions. I had a thread on how to expand companions in M&B Warband. Some of the stuff won't apply to TLD, but some things might for these versions or for Warband: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=108711

Highlighting the points of interest:

Having companions do quests for you, with chances of success and failure based off their level, attributes, weapon proficiencies, and skills in ways which make sense.

Companions being able to do general stuff for you. Split your party and tell them to go to Minas Tirith with 100 knights, tell them to patrol or go scouting.

More interesting fights between companions, and ways to manage their happiness (instead of a constant, impossible-to-stop decline in relations till they run away crying). Example: ("This soldier had a fat purse on him. I say I killed him, but he says he killed him. Who should get the purse?" Pick one of them to raise relations with one but lower the other's, say they should duel for it, or give them both the amount in that purse).

Companion related quests. Example: The half-elf's mother has been captured and put into a slave camp. They want you to help them rescue her. If you don't go, they'll try to do it on their own--and if they fail they'll be wandering around in friendly-taverns, drunken and depressed, giving you the option to help them try again.

Tautalos

« Reply #2182 on: May 05, 2010, 01:51:14 AM »
    But to find a "veteran" high leveled guy in a town... if feels like you want the easy game...

No, he would be an old guy, his body skills would be diminished. That's why he wouldn't be on active duty anymore, but would still agree to join us, because he'd be tired of retirement, or he'd want to do something about the enemy invasions, or he'd want to die honorably on the battlefield, or all these things combined.

Offline Elfy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: May 05, 2010, 05:42:58 AM »
Only people considered as half-elves are Elrond, Elros ( dead ), theri parents  and Aragorn's son and daughters, so if you're going to be lore-accurate...

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: May 05, 2010, 07:00:36 AM »
Well, I assume there are more than 50 elves in the LotR universe, a rough estimation of how many lore-mentioned elf characters there might be. Assuming there's any reasonable number for a nation, or a race, even a small one, you can assume into the thousands. So, keeping track of all the half-elves which may arise... doesn't seem doable. So you can assume two or three others which aren't mentioned.

Offline Llew

• TLD dev team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: May 05, 2010, 07:40:12 AM »
Don't buy it.

A jaded half elf is far, far to modern cliche fantasy for Tolkien.

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: May 05, 2010, 07:48:44 AM »

lotrlum

« Reply #2187 on: May 05, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »
By the way, just goin' offtropic sort of, but the guy who suggested the calling horses, it will be possible, I have no idea how you do it, but it's in that Russian 13th Century mod ( I think that one anyway ), you can press a key and you're horse will run to you or wherever you were when you called it. So maybe ask them if you don't know how and you want to have it in TLD.

Offline octoburn

• The Last Days Beta Tester
  • Picket Fence Cartel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: May 05, 2010, 10:53:21 AM »
Yeah, "whistling for your horse" was an add on included in a pack released a while back. Don't remember what it was though.

Offline Llew

• TLD dev team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: May 05, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »

Even from the lore perspective I could never accept it. Seriously, do you see Tolkien's elves running around and frolicking in the hayloft with any human who wanders in? No.

Take Arwen and Aragorn. Being only the third of such pairings recorded in the whole lore, AFAIK. Look at what they went through.