Author Topic: TLD: Suggestions  (Read 1089465 times)

Malesc

Re: TLD: Suggestions
« Reply #1800 on: March 11, 2009, 04:48:25 am »
Well, you're right for now, but I think the behaviour of NPC's will have to be 'improved' anyway, so... And if you wouldn't like being bossed around by a brainless NPC, you would just have to grind your teeth and make sure you were given a higher rank ;-). Rank is the key thing here; in a realistic army environment, you would only be able to lead a troop of people with lower ranks and your party size would also depend on your rank (and perhaps on the actual operations/missions).

Offline azile0

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: March 18, 2009, 10:03:32 am »
I'd like to  see your "military career" and rank go like this:

Depending on what faction you start in, you are assigned a rank, and that rank requires you to fulfill a certain niche, like a Spearman, or Archer. You might not get missions early on, but if you can make a name for yourself (renown) your C.O's will see that you're not too bad, and assign you a more general role (choose your own niche) as well as sending you on more dangerous missions. At this point, you get an automatic point of Leadership, and can start toting soldiers. Up until this point, you've only been able to recruit civilians and mercenaries.

The war system, I think, should go a little something like this:

There could be 4 different army types, from least powerful, to most:

Minor Host. Consists of 25-50 soldiers, and usually comprised of support units. Doesn't engage directly, but flees from combat, and only engages if they have allies.

Major Host. Consists of 50-150 soldiers. These are mainly infantry and cavalry, meant to destroy enemy armies, and are usually accompanied by 2 or more Minor Hosts.

Legion of/Grand Parade of(Insert faction).  This is a huge army, and is only launched when defeat is imminent, either for them, or their enemy. If they are about to go down, this flees to one of their allies, and supplements them. If it is to destroy an enemy, then it rampages trough their territory, and finishes them off. I'd like to see this kind of army triggered by a mission, like the "Finish off Moria" mission.

Titan's March: This is a massive army, that is always at the selected army cap. This mob can be spawned for one reason: Only two factions left, one good, one evil. Each faction launches this army. Before this, all troops on the field return to their capital building. This meets in battle, and the winning faction wins the war.

That's just my idea.

Malesc

« Reply #1802 on: March 19, 2009, 11:38:13 am »
Hm, some nice ideas there! I like the thought of certain dramatic situations triggering bigger armies.
Not sure if one should be assigned a rank, though (maybe there should be an option for chosen/assigned ranks at the beginning).
Also, you didn't mention any smaller parties in your war system (maybe because they don't fit the term 'army'?) - scouts, patrols and the like.
   Some of these ideas require more communication/cooperation between different parties. That would be great anyway, but probably hard to implement. I'd really like to see some sort of information system for this (messengers, spies, locating an enemy before striking, requests for reinforcements and failed reinforcement if the messenger were killed, and so on), but as I'm not a programmer, I really don't know if it's feasible.

One more thought about ranks: right now, rank and function (i.e. sergeant and knight of the tower guard) aren't linked/merged. If rank becomes more important, changing this would probably be a nice first step.

Well, I wouldn't mind if some programming genius told me which of these ideas are even remotely possible  :-[ :green:

DaBlade

« Reply #1803 on: March 19, 2009, 01:30:25 pm »
That's Ancientwanker's department :)

Malesc

« Reply #1804 on: March 23, 2009, 04:07:03 am »
Right. Well, he seems to stop by every now and then.. I'd be interested to know which recent ideas from this thread have already been considered. I suppose about 90 % of them won't make it because they either don't add enough or won't work, but I'm still curious about the rest. Not sure if AW likes to give a lot of pointers though :-).

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: March 23, 2009, 07:25:08 am »
I have my own war ideas at the moment. Old ones that I never got around to...   But I did put some fan suggestions in last time so Ill run through here at some point and see.   The old nazgul bit was suggested by mtarini for example.

weren

« Reply #1806 on: March 23, 2009, 12:46:10 pm »
Good to hear :)

Offline azile0

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: March 23, 2009, 09:05:59 pm »
I would love to see the 'Titan's March' put in there. It would really make this the Battle for Middle Earth.

Logen

« Reply #1808 on: April 06, 2009, 07:16:12 am »
So, first of all; apologies. For not reading the posts from page 19 to 120. I'm just not that patient.

I acquired M&B a few days ago and the TLD mod (and the .808 version of M&B) yesterday. I like it. Both the Native and TLD. And, this might be at my own fault, for not having delved deep enough into the game to appreciate all its contents, but there was one thing that bothered me about TLD (apart from the occasional crash and my inability to make the test maps from the Beautification posts to work); the lack of capital letters. Or maybe just the incosistent use of them. Here's the thing: I was loitering about with my character somewhere in Rohan, had a very brief talk with "eowyn" (and not "Eowyn"), got jumped by a pack of "goblins" (as opposed to "Goblins"), and ended up getting really upset with "gamling" (don't ask). Am I the only one this bothers? Just a teensy, weensy bit?

So, that was the whiny part. Is there a file somewhere in the mod directory where I can alter the titles of characters, places, and stuff?

Thanks,
Ben
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:17:46 am by Logen »

Nicodemus

« Reply #1809 on: April 06, 2009, 08:01:20 am »
It really depends on where it is misspelled I think...Sword of Damocles had that same problem and I rooted around in their text files, altered them and saved it.  I think some of what you are noticing are probably under menus and conversation text files...but you might have some under troops too.  Back up your text files before you mess around with them, but that ought to solve your OCDedness.  I sympathize because I have the same problem.

Offline jamoecw

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: April 06, 2009, 11:12:23 pm »
i would also suggest doing it in chunks, the smaller the better.  after all if you mess up, it will probably be with something you just did, so if you did it all in one sweep...

Offline azile0

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: April 08, 2009, 11:06:05 am »
Something else clicked for me..

When Isengard rebels against Mordor, I would love to have (Very outlandish, pure fan service) Sauron's vessel march against Isengard, and have Saruman march against Mordor. I would love to have one of those two on my side.

passivechicken

« Reply #1812 on: June 17, 2009, 11:21:16 am »
 I've got a suggestion - make it so enemy generals can actually die. I'm farely certain that Lurtz didn't survive his decapitation, just like I'm pretty sure Saruman didn't survive being stabbed by Grima.

Just saying it would be pretty cool..

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #1813 on: June 17, 2009, 11:28:09 am »
I've got a suggestion - make it so enemy generals can actually die. I'm farely certain that Lurtz didn't survive his decapitation, just like I'm pretty sure Saruman didn't survive being stabbed by Grima.

Just saying it would be pretty cool..

Ok, it's done. We are SO good, we actually travelled to the past and did it back then! We care about our players' requests!
Yes, heroes and generals can die and be buried in a mound or burnt on a funeral pyre in version 2.4.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

DaBlade

« Reply #1814 on: June 17, 2009, 11:32:24 am »
The lack of capital letters has been mentioned before and we'll do our best to correct it for the next release. We'll have to see about the rest of the stuff, but I can tell you we intend to implement several new features in the next version. We'll not talk about those for now though :P