login

Author Topic: TLD: Suggestions  (Read 970100 times)

BlackSamurai

Re: TLD: Suggestions
« Reply #825 on: August 14, 2007, 12:01:52 PM »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #826 on: August 14, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »
please. Don't. Ever. Post. Anything. From. An. EA. Game. It's. based. on. the. movies. And. It's. Even. More. Screwed. Up.

Got it?
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #827 on: August 14, 2007, 07:42:31 PM »
Really minor, but I think a nice idea would be to allow you to choose what city you are from, THEN choose your race or class. That way you could be a goblin of Moria, or an elf of rivendale, or an axeman of Lossarnach. Prolly too much work than its worth tho, if it's even possible.

Nice idea, I would like it.

But why not the other way round? Select your race first, then the faction (as it is now), then the city. If you are a "beast", and you side with Isengard, then you can still be a "goblin from Moria", an "ork from Isengard", etc. Your faction is still "Isengard".

BTW, I really loved the old initial screen: "What are you: Man, or Beast?". Poetry.
Something died inside me when that was watered down to include "Elf". I don't think it is possible to consider Elves humans enough to be called men, is it? Maybe ask "what side are you: Men, or Beasts?", and, if you side with men, then you are from Rohan, or from Gondor, or an Elf?

Anyway, I would remove the "select starting point" dialog. The starting point is a small part of the characterization of the class you have chosen to be. We need characterization. If you are a Gondorian from Minas Tirith, well, you start you adventure at Minas Tirith.

In any case, as noted before, something should be done about the old guy. It does not matter where you start if you need to go to him first thing in any case. Maybe just give an option to activate that dialog automatically as soon as the game starts?

Offline Dain Ironfoot

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 15, 2007, 12:52:43 PM »
I'd really like to be a man with my allegiance in the north... Dunedain or one of Grimbeorn's folk. But thats probably just dreaming. But I've stated lots of times some of the developments I'd like to see in the elf war...

Father Chains

« Reply #829 on: August 17, 2007, 12:30:23 PM »
Good Gods above, did he just suggest we include Lurtz or something?

Offline Zenosknight

• Guildsman
  • Success is measured in blood; yours or the enemys
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 17, 2007, 06:12:50 PM »
Why, doesn't mordor have enough 'dead' heroes?
and what's with Edoras? I see like... 50 heroes in there! (actually, about less than 10, but still, what they for?)

Offline Boiled Ice

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 17, 2007, 10:11:37 PM »
and what's with Edoras? I see like... 50 heroes in there! (actually, about less than 10, but still, what they for?)

Destroy Isengard and the Dunedain's and you'll see.

Offline Grocat

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 18, 2007, 05:45:15 PM »

Dunlendings...as opposed to the people you wouldn't want to eradicate.

-Grocat

Father Chains

« Reply #833 on: August 18, 2007, 06:56:58 PM »

Offline onepostpony

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 18, 2007, 09:10:19 PM »
When one's host faction falls, could stragglers have a conversation with you every few days? In exchange for not much (pieces of food, a little dinar, etc ...) they join your group. You don't know what tier they are. All you know is that their is 4-7 of them and could be any combo of your crushed faction. Basically, I asking to be the leader of "Lost Host of <faction>."

Offline Boiled Ice

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 20, 2007, 06:09:33 AM »

Dunlendings...as opposed to the people you wouldn't want to eradicate.

-Grocat

yeah what he said.

Father Chains

« Reply #836 on: August 20, 2007, 07:57:19 AM »
yeah what he said.

How very contributory.

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #837 on: August 20, 2007, 11:54:53 AM »

And now, yet another "AW could implement this" suggestion:

NAVIGABLE RIVERS and SEAS

Quite simply: in appropriate Lorotien Elves cities, in Gondor sea-cities, and in Minas Tirith, you have an extra, menu-reachable location where you can bargain for a lift by boat (either among the Anduin, or across sea, or both). Evil sided player can do this in Umbar ports, and maybe in Osgiliath.

The lift costs you (money, influence, whatever - maybe, money in gondor but influence among elves). Depending on the starting place, this might be eligible only for small party sizes (and/or be limited to horseless parties).

A lift lets you "teleport" to a destination of your choice, selected from a menu in a list of possible destinations which, naturally, depends on the starting port. Taking a lift could cause a little time to pass anyway, in "fast-forward" mode.

The destinations need not be limited to friendly cities. They can also be easily identified locations on the map, near rivers, like places close to enemy cities.

If you are unlucky, the lift can trigger a fight with enemy garrisons among the river, or naval battles in the open sea (if they are to be included, as Merlkir suggested).

There could even be lord-assigned missions (on either side) specifically aimed at clearing said enemy river-garrisons/sea-pirates. Fulfilling these mission would unlock the possibility to get a lift, at all or to specific destinations (maybe not forever, but only for a long time until garrisons are reformed). For example, if you clear enough garrisons among anduin, you can go from Minas Tirith to Lorothien both ways, and so on. If these missions are added, a nice touch would be to let you navigate anywhere, while war didn't start yet.

Offline Khergit Kabob

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 20, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
... navigable rivers ...

Ditto ditto ditto!  You could do this "thin" by having rafts you can pay a fare to ride between neutral coastal villages, or you could go "thick" by having specific ports for the Free Factions or Shadow, river combat mini-games, and river-related quests.

Either way a water route between the neutral villages near the Easterling camps would make fighting the Easterlings way more convenient.

Offline Zenosknight

• Guildsman
  • Success is measured in blood; yours or the enemys
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 20, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »
You mean like how the 'Gladiator mod' has ports and you can leave 'via port' or what-not?