login

Author Topic: TLD: Suggestions  (Read 939668 times)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
Re: TLD: Suggestions
« Reply #765 on: August 05, 2007, 08:53:11 PM »
most of that stuff has been suggested before. I'm already sketching custom armors for the evil NPCs portraits, so we might use those as reference to distinguish them in the game later :)
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline onepostpony

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 05, 2007, 08:55:19 PM »
7> Flanking and setting up a phalanx, in the way I think you're talking about, would require you to preposition your forces. That's going to be very hard to code for.

6> Being "invisible" is as "easy" as setting all the courage for every party template to 15.

5> They are going to wait for next version of the siege system and mod that, if possible. I agree, that would be cool.

4> That's just being greedy :D. I would much rather have the ability to commission gear for my cohorts for coin, influence and influence rate.

3> At the very least, Faramir should have something better than leather boots.

2> That would only benefit people with top-tier systems.

1> Has any other mod done that? Cause to be honest, that sounds like something that should proven by someone else.

Offline Zenosknight

• Guildsman
  • Success is measured in blood; yours or the enemys
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 06, 2007, 07:41:30 AM »
Sorry to break up your fun, but I've got an idea you guys might want to think about  ???
Since there's this problem with heroes being unable to be rescued when a faction falls, having their cells cave in around them as the faction capital crumbles or something. Why not create a 'prison' near the factions capital instead, and defeating the faction would greatly weaken the moral of the guards, or causing them to flee altogether ;)

pf7612

« Reply #768 on: August 06, 2007, 08:16:59 AM »
Yeah, thats a good idea.

@onepostpony:

Those were only ideas, so if they could work great, if not...then I'll come up with more ideas.
I just thought that it would be cool to have that stuff...I didn't know if it would work at all.

6> What do you mean?
4> That would be cool. I didn't mean too many new things, just a couple new ones.

Offline onepostpony

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 06, 2007, 12:05:06 PM »
6> What do you mean?

If you can figure out how to edit party_templates.txt in such a way that the courage value for ALL enemy spawned parties is at 15, you can effectively attack any one you want without them running away.

Offline Grocat

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 06, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »
I am nearly 100% certain that someone has already suggested it, but it might be nice to have a wider variety of armoury items.  More specifically, a legendary polearm (of the swinging variety) for someone who uses polearms or perhaps legendary blunt weapons.  Anyway, I thought it might be kind of awesome to have some of that tossed in the mix.

-Grocat

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #771 on: August 06, 2007, 12:47:25 PM »
I am nearly 100% certain that someone has already suggested it, but it might be nice to have a wider variety of armoury items.  More specifically, a legendary polearm (of the swinging variety) for someone who uses polearms or perhaps legendary blunt weapons.  Anyway, I thought it might be kind of awesome to have some of that tossed in the mix.

-Grocat

yup, has been suggested several times. We have some new guys going over the dialogs, I think we could have them go through the M-E-R-P items list and choose some usable stuff to increase variety. I also suggested some other ways to obtain unique items.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

bryce

« Reply #772 on: August 06, 2007, 06:51:35 PM »
6> What do you mean?

If you can figure out how to edit party_templates.txt in such a way that the courage value for ALL enemy spawned parties is at 15, you can effectively attack any one you want without them running away.

No, they will still run away.

pf7612

« Reply #773 on: August 06, 2007, 07:51:37 PM »
And besides, that's not what I meant. The enemy party would be en route to x. You, knowing where they are going cut them off and hide in the forest or whatever and then you spring on them and they immediately take losses and, depending on terrain (lets say a road surrounded by forest, just as an example) you start out on both sides of the road with archers/swordsmen in ambush positions. This would require certain units like in stealth missions.

Offline Khergit Kabob

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Separate the Capture Leader Missions
« Reply #774 on: August 07, 2007, 02:25:21 PM »
"Capture Enemy Lieutenant" and "Capture Enemy Captain" missions should be separate from the others so I can always turn in enemy leaders without having to run around various towns asking for missions.  (Actually you try to get all the other missions covered in other towns so you can turn in lieutenants close to the front, but you get the idea.)

You happen to have a bunch of dudes standing around doing nothing at the various castles ... so make one of them "chief of intelligence" and the other "military intelligence" and the one always gives you a "capture captain" mission and the other a "capture lieutenant" mission.

Furthermore, allied factions should give these capture missions to allied players, so for instance a Gondor player could turn in Isengard lieutenants to the Rohan military intelligence chief.

Capturing lieutenants is central to advancing both in rank and level, and I shouldn't have to push a bunch of other missions out of the way in order to turn in my captured lieutenants.  It's too important to the game to make it such an inconvenience to get done.

You could also do a "Sheriff" character for Gondor and Rohan who would accept Brigand lieutenants, and I'd like to get credit for capturing enemy ally leaders, too (leaders of lesser hosts of Corsairs, Easterlings, etc.) but that's not particularly important.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 02:43:29 PM by Khergit Kabob »

Offline Khergit Kabob

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Raiders Mission Should Use Existing Army
« Reply #775 on: August 07, 2007, 02:42:21 PM »
I'm putting my suggestions in separate threads.  Please tell me not to do this if you'd prefer I bunch them all together.

The "Raiders" mission actually hurts the war effort -- it spawns an enemy army which your forces then have to deal with.
Could you instead make the mission rename an existing enemy patrol to "Raiders" (like "Mordor Patrol" becomes "Mordor Patrol / Raiders") so that taking missions doesn't help the enemy cause?

I really don't think you even need a "Raiders" mission: you already have bounty missions for patrols, scouts, supplies, and great hosts.  Lesser hosts and enemy allies (i.e. Corsairs and Easterlings) are the only combat missions you don't have.  Why do you even need a Raiders mission?

"Capture Enemy Agent" is a bit redundant as well, but I actually enjoy these missions, so I won't complain.

Does successfully completing the "Capture Enemy Agent" mission cause the target faction to lose any of its strength?  If the mission is really that important it should be worth at least the same as killing off an enemy patrol.

Offline slyspy

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Separate the Capture Leader Missions
« Reply #776 on: August 07, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »
"Capture Enemy Lieutenant" and "Capture Enemy Captain" missions should be separate from the others so I can always turn in enemy leaders without having to run around various towns asking for missions.  (Actually you try to get all the other missions covered in other towns so you can turn in lieutenants close to the front, but you get the idea.)

You happen to have a bunch of dudes standing around doing nothing at the various castles ... so make one of them "chief of intelligence" and the other "military intelligence" and the one always gives you a "capture captain" mission and the other a "capture lieutenant" mission.

Furthermore, allied factions should give these capture missions to allied players, so for instance a Gondor player could turn in Isengard lieutenants to the Rohan military intelligence chief.

Capturing lieutenants is central to advancing both in rank and level, and I shouldn't have to push a bunch of other missions out of the way in order to turn in my captured lieutenants.  It's too important to the game to make it such an inconvenience to get done.

You could also do a "Sheriff" character for Gondor and Rohan who would accept Brigand lieutenants, and I'd like to get credit for capturing enemy ally leaders, too (leaders of lesser hosts of Corsairs, Easterlings, etc.) but that's not particularly important.

There are those, and I am one, who say that the capture missions should be removed since they are so very hard to accomplish. The battlefield is so random that in 300 game days of playing I have captured maybe three individuals. Your suggestion would at least move the capture quests to one side so that other tasks may be given.

I liked the Yogi mods for the previous TLD version. With those you could strip friendly units of their prisoners (I used to keep the leaders and disband the rest) and you could turn those leaders in at any time for a reward without having the quest. You could also reinforce any unit with any troops (or, if you wanted to, strip them of their best troops). All good features that should have made it into this version IMO.

Offline Khergit Kabob

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Lieutenant Captures
« Reply #777 on: August 07, 2007, 08:02:27 PM »
You need to realize that every supply convoy is led by a lieutenant.

Capturing lieutenants is the primary way I gain rank.  I use either a military hammer or spiked mace, balanced if possible, and sometimes a couched iron staff.

What makes capturing lieutenants such a lucrative prospect is that in a supply convoy he'll be the only one on horseback, so you can easily get him alone and whack him.  Captains, who lead lesser and greater hosts, are always accompanied by cavalry, so they're much more difficult.

Generals are hard to distinguish from orcs, which makes them even harder to knock out.  If they wore gaudy plumed helmets or rode fire-snorting horses or some such they'd be much easier targets.

Another key to maximizing rank through lieutenant capture is to ALWAYS capture them, whether or not you have a mission to do so.  If you run out of prisoner slots stash your lieuts (loots, get it?) at the Eastway Inn then get back to work.  Never let a lieutenant escape your grasp!

Father Chains

« Reply #778 on: August 08, 2007, 03:51:32 AM »

Offline Khergit Kabob

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 08, 2007, 11:26:08 AM »
If you set things up right luck has little to do with it.
The worst-case scenario under my system is that you lose the lucrative "Capture Captains" mission when the Lord who gave it to you rides off with a Great Host.
That's okay, you can survive that.  The lieutenants are where the real bucks are.  But it still sucks.
In your case you got the "I have no missions for you" message, but just keep asking until he realizes what he really wants is one of your captured lieutenants.  Keep turning in lieutenants, but remember to never ask a Lord for a mission without at least 1 lieutenant captive, because if he asks for a lieutenant then rides off you're up the creek.
If I get a mission from the King other than "Capture Lieutenant" I try to perform that mission then ask other Lords for missions until that mission comes up, then I know the King will never assign that mission to me, making him more likely to assign me a lieutenant capture mission.

We're veering off-topic.  To review, this:
http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,110.msg13127.html#msg13127
is my request, to separate the capture officers quests from all the others.