login

Author Topic: TLD: Suggestions  (Read 826225 times)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: TLD: Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 06:57:04 PM »
Everyone - If you want to see what I just proposed with a combat realism model ...

Onin-no-Ran has now been released with a working version of this model.  It may still need a few tweaks, but you can see it in action. 

Of course, this still depends on me actually seeing the source code - and AW is apparently still away from the computer, so the question is moot until then.

Ron

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 04:20:54 AM »
I'll play the new HW which has that model too and then report my feelings about it :)
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 04:26:12 AM »
I'll play the new HW which has that model too and then report my feelings about it :)

Yeah, I'm supposed to be beta testing that, but I can't get the beta to download.  Raz did a copy of my model from general guidelines I sent him - I haven't actually got my hands on it yet.

There's still a couple of bugs in the ONR model too - things that, ironically, got added between the time I last saw it and the time it was released.  Can't win around here.

You'll like the new damage model.  Everybody does.
Ron

Merentha

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 04:37:43 AM »
I don't know, I'm fairly attached to the Last Days' gameplay as it is...We'll see.   ;)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 04:48:29 AM »
I don't know, I'm fairly attached to the Last Days' gameplay as it is...We'll see.   ;)

The test doesn't cost anything.  Most people think it's an improvement.

Most of the great achievements in gameplay for TLD have been on the big map - the overall war and faction standings.  This won't change that a bit.  It will, however, balance out many of those little bugs with archers and troop strengths that now have to be tweaked on the opening menu, and still don't feel quite right.

However, it's not going to happen until I get my hands on the Python source code.  Has anybody heard from AW in a week?  Does anybody else have a copy of the source code for this thing?

Offline Grocat

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 02:59:51 PM »
I don't think there are problems that have to be tweaked on the menu.  I think the menu is for people who would prefer greater or lesser difficulty.

-Grocat

ME3

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2007, 07:08:05 PM »
I think a really awesome change would be something along the lines of more control over your troops. some basic formations would be nice, and maybe some basic stances. Aggressive, defensive, that sort of thing. However, I was thinking that maybe this would only be available to Isengard and the Free Peoples, and the other races would have larger forces.

If you think about it, it would a. provide some contrast between the races and b. change the factions to stick with their sterotpyes javascript:void(0);

(first postjavascript:void(0);)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 01:50:41 AM »
sadly none of those are possible.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

xXempXx

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 07:28:40 PM »
sadly none of those are possible.

definitely the absolute worst part of this game...

i hope they are eventually included in the final product

Jairion

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 09:10:29 AM »
At least I would be happy to see some fortresses added to the game, and by controlling one would contribute somehow to the war (ex. morale). If one was to be captured by an enemy, there would be a sign "---- captured by the enemy!" and some other effects. I mean something like Weathertop, it was a watchtower, right? Though I don't want something to the game that is not in the book, that is your policy, right?
 Whatever, that came into my mind.

octoburn

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 07:28:55 PM »
At least I would be happy to see some fortresses added to the game, and by controlling one would contribute somehow to the war (ex. morale). If one was to be captured by an enemy, there would be a sign "---- captured by the enemy!" and some other effects. I mean something like Weathertop, it was a watchtower, right? Though I don't want something to the game that is not in the book, that is your policy, right?
Weathertop wouldn't really calssify as a "fortress" at the point of the War of the Ring, as it's basically ruins...

but, there is a certain new "town" in the latest Dev version that I think could end up being "capturable." think: Anduin.

bryce

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2007, 05:43:15 PM »

Me too.  Every mod I have played where they make dramatic changes to the items ruins the gameplay.  The mod is difficult enough as it stands....

Albino

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2007, 09:24:43 PM »
Weathertop wouldn't really calssify as a "fortress" at the point of the War of the Ring, as it's basically ruins...

but, there is a certain new "town" in the latest Dev version that I think could end up being "capturable." think: Anduin.

Cair Andros? Osgiliath?

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »

Me too.  Every mod I have played where they make dramatic changes to the items ruins the gameplay.  The mod is difficult enough as it stands....

Have you seen the RCM in play?  It's out on Onin-no-Ran, and there's a retrofit to native (for testing/demo purposes - not balanced for long-term play).  (It's in beta for Holy War and Mesoamerica, but not public yet.  Couple of others are considering it - looks like this is about to be the new standard.)  Check it out - the vote so far is pretty unanimous that game play is improved.

I wouldn't suggest it for TLD if I didn't think it would improve the overall experience.  When I first developed the thing for ONR, I never figured it would go anywhere - but the results have just been phenomenal.

Of course, this being moot ... we would just do a test version and take a vote, if AW would check his mail more than once a week - but I'm rather waiting on him to get back to me at the moment.    He already said a test version was a good idea, but there were some questions about the source code getting out, and then he hasn't responded to his mail for a week ... but I figure he'll be back eventually.

Jon Snow

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2007, 12:19:02 AM »
Ron, I have to say that the only experience I have of RCM so far is that everyone dies the first time I hit them, and I survive for some time while being beaten by fairly low level enemies if I'm dehorsed. It seems to have made the whole game far too easy for higher-level or better-equipped characters. I'm going to start a new character and try it right from the beginning for a while now, though. :)