login

Author Topic: TLD: Suggestions  (Read 1090417 times)

Offline Triglav

• Master
  • I'll bite your axe off!
    • View Profile
Re: TLD: Suggestions
« Reply #2310 on: May 09, 2011, 05:06:08 am »
Mandible kindly supplied us with some fine tunnel scene props, and with our existing Moria props and some vanilla ones, a vast system of undergrounds has already been constructed. So get ready for some nasty crawls.

However coders we're in short supply of. If you know anyone capable and willing of coding quests, crawls, special missions, etc...do send him our way.
"Of course, just by reading this forum you get a geek point. If you post you get a lifetime membership card.
If you contribute to the mod your praises are sung by the lords of dorkistan for an age and a half."
-Ancientwanker

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: May 09, 2011, 05:22:02 am »
Wow O_O..... I am awed. Exploring the vast underground sounds fun.

Avenger

« Reply #2312 on: June 03, 2011, 04:38:27 am »
is the new version going to have the new awful fight system? I much prefer the 0.808 sword swinging to the new M&B versions.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #2313 on: June 03, 2011, 05:36:48 am »
is the new version going to have the new awful fight system? I much prefer the 0.808 sword swinging to the new M&B versions.

O_o Iirc the fight moves are the same in 0.808 and 1.011. You sure you're not thinking of Warband?
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Avenger

« Reply #2314 on: June 03, 2011, 07:53:25 pm »
that might be, dont like to play either but have both

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: June 06, 2011, 07:42:45 am »
One thing I love about what you did with TLD is the traits system you added, making it so you can get the Berserker Trait, or the Orc Champion Trait--that was a great touch! I'd suggest adding some more traits. Examples:

Killer of 100 Men
You are renowned as a great killer of men. The orcs are awed by the many notches on your weapons, marks of enemies you have slain.
Due to your fame, it is easier to attract and command larger parties of orcs. Increased Influence (depending on how Influence will work).

So, if you get that trait, your Party Size could increase somewhat (5 men?). Orcs have some very low charisma, which in mount and blade terms, seems a bit different than the idea of the orcs outnumbering the free-peoples. Having orcs with amazing Charisma is also strange. With traits like this, you could have it that orcs get larger parties more by great feats of strength (you can still do this to only a limited extent, of course).

Certain traits could also be replaced by superior versions. The "Killer of 100 Men", for example, could be replaced by:

Killer of 500 Men
You are renowned as a great killer of men. The orcs are awed by the many notches on your weapons, marks of enemies you have slain.
Due to your fame, it is easier to attract and command larger parties of orcs. Increased Influence (depending on how Influence will work).

Then by:

Killer of 1,000 Men

And etc.. Each new version of the trait would give a better bonus than the previous ones. The previous versions would come out as "Quest Failed" I'd suppose, disappearing.

Other ideas:

Stand no Weaklings
While your battles are very successful, they are also known to costs the lives of a lot of our side... You achieve victory with maximum casualties to your own lot, killing the weak and leaving the strong.
Recruitment cost is increased due to less willingness to join. Morale is lowered somewhat. All your troops receive bonuses to weapon skill and stats, trying to not be, "The weak".

For Orc-kind
You have victory--and with your victory, few or no casualties are sustained. The orcs respect you as a wise commander, able to win battles with very small sacifice
Recruitment costs reduced, Morale increases more easily.

With those two, they'd be in direct opposition of each other. You can go the harsh path, making your orcs fight harder but they're unhappier, or the route of happier orcs that are easier to obtain.

War-Hero
In this war, your side has done momentous things... thanks to you! Many times you have fought with mighty adversaries, crushing them underfoot in the name of your cause. People look up to you as a great hero, bringing this war to an end.
Increase Morale gain. Lowered Recruitment Costs. Increased Party Size(?). Increased Influence (depending on how Influence will work).

Survivor
You've been captured, maimed, left for dead, sent to be executed, and escaped from many a lost battle. Some would call you a coward or a fool, but they have something to admit: You always come back to the battle, like a vengeful spirit who knows not death.
Your HP is increased by 10%. Chance of evading capture and escaping prison is increased.

You could also have negative traits, like one for if you lose too many battles that applies penalties to Influence and so-forth. You could get rid of the negative traits by positive action, such as winning a lot of battles to get rid of the "Loser" Trait.

Offline Triglav

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: June 06, 2011, 05:36:56 pm »
You do like orcs, don't you?  :green:
"Of course, just by reading this forum you get a geek point. If you post you get a lifetime membership card.
If you contribute to the mod your praises are sung by the lords of dorkistan for an age and a half."
-Ancientwanker

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: June 06, 2011, 06:36:28 pm »
Well, yes. Saruman's performance was my favourite from the movie, my first experience of Lord of the Rings you understand. Also, in the Book so far, I'd say the part where the orcs kidnap Merry and Pippin is my favourite part of the book (they have some fights).
But it's not just that: I haven't had a ton of time to play TLD, so I haven't finished an Isengard Campaign yet... haven't gotten a chance to play any of the other factions, you see o.o.

Of course, stuff like the War-Hero trait, notably, would work for any faction, given a tweaked description.

Stuff like, "Stand No Weaklings" however, would be very negative traits for factions like the elves (victory by killing your own side isn't victory...).

EDIT: Also, of course, you can change, "Killer of 100 Men" to, "Killer of 100 Orcs" and etc., giving similar bonuses.

EDIT2: Come to think of it... aren't orcs meant to be quite inferior to men, in LotR, or is it just the movie? Just that party sizes of the factions seems pretty similar in the mod, from my memory.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:48:57 pm by Conners »

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: June 12, 2011, 09:41:05 am »
Oh, here is an idea I had earlier:

When you wipe out a faction, like Gondor for example. How about, you start seeing Gondor units coming from Rohans and the Elven factions? So, when a faction is wiped out, you start seeing its troops appear in ally factions' parties.

How possible/worth-while would you see this as?

Offline MadVader

• Master
  • TLD, ex-PoP coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: June 12, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »
Oh, here is an idea I had earlier:

When you wipe out a faction, like Gondor for example. How about, you start seeing Gondor units coming from Rohans and the Elven factions? So, when a faction is wiped out, you start seeing its troops appear in ally factions' parties.

How possible/worth-while would you see this as?
Possible yes, worthwhile? Maybe.
The faction parties are pretty much geared towards single faction troops. And the TLD vets are sure to question the "LoTR realism" behind that as only utter destruction is on their minds.
In terms of gameplay, interesting to see both on map and in battle, but seeing there are 9 ally vs. 9 enemy factions, and you beat 5, do you want to see enemy parties with about 30-40 different kinds of troops?
The Last Days 3.0 - the ultimate Mount and Blade mod: http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/board,20.0.html

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: June 12, 2011, 07:27:41 pm »
Well, it's not to say they'll be around in large numbers, mind (not enough that the tactical flavour of each faction will be changed notably--unless a few troops changes things by that much). The idea is that they are those who escaped the destruction of their faction and are trying to get revenge.

There isn't anything unrealistic about your enemy's troops deciding to go fight on another enemy's side, because you torched their lands and ate their families and they want revenge (classic case to make vengeful men). Managing to kill every Rohirrim or Gondorian warrior seems totally impossible, even if you conquer all of middle earth (a few will hide out in the woods or something, though they'll probably stop acting like warriors and be more like vagabonds on the run).

Part of it is, the "last-stand" factions' parties might be slightly bigger from it. You wouldn't always get dead factions' troops, and if you do, it isn't to say you'll get troops from every dead faction (one party might get a some Isengarders and a few Morians, but they don't get any Dunlanders--because it's random).

Again, if you do get dead-factions' troops, they'll only make up a smaller percentage of the party. Still, it would be fun to make it statistically possible, that if it was the last Good/Evil faction left, that they can get a party with about 50% dead-faction troops. This'd be amusing as something that can happen, on a very rare occasion.

Just think it'd be neat, if you kill off the Dunlanders, then you have all these dunlanders seeking revenge, in the last Great Host of Isengard.

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
Expanding the Command Structure
« Reply #2321 on: June 13, 2011, 06:39:35 am »
I like that the leaders of Lesser hosts are Lieutenants, and Greater Hosts are lead by Captains. Little things like this add quite a bit of flavour, and are fun. Thus, I was thinking of something like this, an extension of the command structure.

You could have a separate troop tree for each faction, one for officers. Officers are basically regular troops with better equipment and stats--plus, you are expected to capture them for certain missions (like the capturing Brigand Lieutenants one).

The change would be, you'd have more Officer Troops, most parties could be lead by petty officers. A Rohirim Militia party might be lead by a Sergeant(?) of Rohan, for example.
At the same time, you could have more officer troops in bigger parties, to give the idea of a command structure. So, a Patrol might have 1 Lieutenant and 2 Sergeants... whereas a Greater Host could have 1 High Captain, 1 Captain, 4 Lieutenants, and 8 Sergeants.

From this, there'd be more reason to use blunt weapons, too. What I often do nowadays, with "capture the officer" missions, is get on a horse, ride on ahead of my men (they suck at taking prisoners, in 808), smack the Officer once with my polehammer, then swap to my real weapon and start the real battle. If there were a bunch of officers around, and they were worth something, more reason to actually consider using the blunt weapons more frequently (instead of putting it away after taking out the one dressed-up guy at the front of the formation).

Another use for the officer troops, could be the ability to recruit them as you go up in rank. When you hit Lieutenant, you're allowed to recruit two Sergeants from your faction (who are replaceable?). As a Captain, you can recruit two Lieutenants, and four Sergeants. You could either make it impossible for Officer troops to level up, or give them very high experience requirements.

This idea isn't a huge necessary thing--but then, you probably had the ideas for huge necessary things covered years ago. Figuring that this would be an amount of fun, for not much effort. Re-equipping some troops, a bit of scripting added to the rank system, and editing the parties slightly... hope it's as easy as it sounds.

Erathrim

« Reply #2322 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:33 am »
I think about one thing : If TLD is based on the Tolkien's books, why Minas Tirith has White Walls (in this screenshot : http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-last-days/images/tld-town41#imagebox )  ? This city must have Black Walls, no ?

"
The outer wall of the lowest level - known as the Othram ("City Wall") - was especially high and thick, smooth surface consisted of a black rock similar to that which had been cut the great tower Orthanc. All walls of the city was white except for this one."

Offline Triglav

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: June 16, 2011, 11:18:14 am »
Hi Erathrim.

You are right, but we have answered in the forums before why we chose the current setup.
-Ancientwanker

Offline Stryder

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: June 20, 2011, 02:27:36 am »
First of all, given that I'm no coder, I don't even know if what I'm suggesting is even possible, but... did you come up with something "special "stealth-based parties, such as Ithilien rangers patrols or elven scouts, can do in the world map? Ithilien rangers-only parties, for example, when moving through forests may be invisible to other parties and "ambush" unaware enemies, maybe boosting the player's Tactics ability (thus allowing more friendly troops to spawn in battle, simulating an ambush) just before the battle.

Is this doable? Is it worth the effort, at least?  :D