Author Topic: TLD: Suggestions  (Read 1041825 times)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
Re: TLD: Suggestions
« Reply #2295 on: September 19, 2010, 06:46:20 AM »
1) trueten is quite right about complexity.
2) the shield shapes would be a bit different I think.

This is no way to work really, we're glad you're eager to help, but slapping it away on the public forum like this, that's not good. Otco will probably send you the models or something.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Aranvardo

« Reply #2296 on: September 19, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
This is no way to work really, we're glad you're eager to help, but slapping it away on the public forum like this, that's not good. Otco will probably send you the models or something.
Well, I didn't mean to... though I'm not sure what you mean by that ha ha, I think you misunderstand my good intention, only to give a hand... I wanted you to see my work so you could judge to take me seriously or not, that's all, again didn't mean no harm, more work can be done in the future, It can be a little confusing, all of this is new for me, since I don't speak English, and never touched this internet stuff before joining this forum, so please bear with me. Don't know if i broke any rule of yours or something so please forgive me if i did... no bad intention there

Offline octoburn

• The Last Days Beta Tester
  • Picket Fence Cartel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: September 20, 2010, 12:12:21 AM »
No, you didn't do anything wrong. It's just typical to consult the team about style and such before doing stuff like that, as to not waste your time on something we wouldn't take :P

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I sent you a Pm earlier.

Offline FleshyStarfish

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: September 20, 2010, 07:33:06 AM »
No, you didn't do anything wrong. It's just typical to consult the team about style and such before doing stuff like that, as to not waste your time on something we wouldn't take :P

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I sent you a Pm earlier.

Octo,

I would suggest to also post something in the TLD file that's on Taleworlds.  I know that there are some people there who would be interested but just don't frequent this forum.

I could also post something there for you, however; I think that a TLD team member would have more weight than me.

FS
hay wud up guys u shud mak a mod about lyk stuff i dunno wut but it wuld b kool lyk mabe gangstas were u start ur gang n fite mofos huh
http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,50345.msg1300951.html#msg130

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: February 27, 2011, 06:19:51 AM »
I thought of a brilliant suggestion: Strike out, and make your own game of Lord of the Rings!.... no, wait, you'd get sued.

OK, this plan can still work, but you'll need a COIL OF ROPE, a GAG WITH HANDCUFFS, a WIG, and a BLUE CARD-KEY. The President is on the 100th Floor. Good luck!

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: May 01, 2011, 12:11:58 PM »
Thought of some suggestions.

Events
[/b][/u]

You could have Rohan be at peace with Isengard for the most part, at first, with an event of the King being revived by Gandalf at a certain date. Then, Rohan declares war on Isengad.

This would raise questions as to whether you can change events, of course. Also raises the possibility of whether the Evil side has a time limit until the event which destroys Sauron emerges.
Of course, events would probably have requirements (maybe Frodo's ring destroying event doesn't happen unless Isengard has been crushed?).

Just something to ponder about, if it hasn't already been kicked around.

One Ring

You could have one party wandering around the map, almost invincibly, with the name, "Frodo's Party" or something like this. Rather than going immediately to a fight when you encounter them, you have to get through a skill-based conversation to entrap Frodo (IE: "Your scouts found signs of travellers nearby. What do you do?" 1) Ignore them, we have other things to do. 2) Go after them, I feel they might be important [Tracking Check]. IT would then go on with more checks to make it sufficiently difficult).

Another possibility, is that you have lots of small, "Travellers" parties that wander the map. One of them is Frodo's Party, but you don't know which one. This might conflict with the idea of making Frodo's party especially fast, and hard to sport.

If you actually manage to fight with Frodo's Party (after skill checks are succeeded), it might consist of Frodo wearing the ring (aka: He's invincible). It could be a one on one fight (you don't trust anyone else to get the ring). Sting is probably a very dangerous weapon to yourself--especially since Frodo is invisible.

Since Boromir and such people wanted to use the ring in the war, you could still have this as an evil option for the good side. When you get the ring... there is the question of whether it just makes you invisible, or if it gives you epic power. Could have it that you immediately get a quest to unlock the One Ring's power for yourself, which would give you amazing stats...? Or, if you're loyal to Sauron, you could get him revived.

Orc Medicine

I can't remember if this was already in the game. Either way, having orc medicine as a special faction item which increases the Surgery and/or Wound Treatment skills would be neat.

Redemption/Falling

Apparently, Tolkien never wanted to say orcs were irredeemable. He said, "nearly irredeemable", and once went as far as to point out he almost made the mistake of saying they were fully irredeemable in one of his letters. This information might be totally false, but the source seems decent: http://www.ansereg.com/TheUnnaturalHistoryofTolkiensOrcs.pdf
One of the pure-good Valar, unless I have my names crossed, also fell and became Morgoth. Unless I am mistaken from misinformation.

If this is true, it's a good basis for a redemption/falling quest. The Evil side could have a chance to redeem themselves through a lengthy quest (a particularly difficult one if you are an orc). You could have an easier quest where you submit to evil for the good side (might need to make it harder to turn evil if you are playing an elf, though).

Eventually, you could have some very interesting dialogues from completing this quest (people won't trust an orc even if they become a saint). For the first release of such a feature, it'd just be a swap of factions, I imagine (which is already doable with M&B's base code, I assume).

Those are some ideas I've been passing around for a while. Not sure if I mentioned these some years ago... Can't remember with all that has happened.

Hope these are useful.

Offline cynan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 05, 2011, 07:17:28 PM »
I think many of these ideas are very interesting and could work very well in a table top role playing game. The idea of a character potentially finding the one ring and being consumed by it's power for example, or the idea of having a story arc leading to changing sides in such a war, proving yourself to the former enemy and then and working for the other side as a spy or assassin or saboteur.  Or the drama of confronting former allies as an enemy....   Unfortunately I have some reservations about them being implemented in a seamless and believable manner. I think giving the one ring to the player would also turn the game upside down completely.

What I really do like though is the idea of special in game events! But not just the sort of events that happened in the books or movies but any sort of big event that might influence the flow of the war. Internal politics that (until sorted out) cripple a given faction (exactly like Theoden being bewitched by Sauruman) but not limited to it. Maybe some of these things last for a certain times  and during such periods that faction could not raise any powerful armies.... but they might be ended early by the player's actions, completing specific quests for example.... kinda like the quest in the older version where you could go on a quest to kill the Sorcerer for the elves against Dol Guldur.

Maybe some could be realistic political problems like the Haradrim are divided because sub factions start to fight on an internal political issue and the only way an evil player can get them back into the war is by going down south and intervening. Maybe the dwarves  decide to cut ties with the surface and seal their halls leaving their allies to fend for themselves until the player sneaks in to solve the situation! Similar things could happen for any faction that was not driven by a supernatural evil unifying it.

If it's faction that has a powerful being uniting it (like Isengard or Moria) you temporarily take that leader away somehow. Or that leader loses heart in teh war and needs to be spurred back into action!

If you like fantastic causes (spells and curses); Maybe the goblins of Moria lose cohesion and union because the Balrog falls into a comatose like sleep  - a result of elven magic, and the only way to break the spell is to steal the lesser ring of power responsible from the elves?  Maybe the elves of Mirkwood fall into shadow and despair (like they were in the hobbit)  caused by some evil force and need to be awoken somehow?

Such in game events might add a lot to the feeling of anything could happen and things changing for the better or worse like that might increase the tension. Another CRAZY thing I thought of that might be impossible to implement would be catastrophes (maybe caused by Sauron or other great powers)  A blight, a flood, an extremely cold storm or snow and ice, or a horrible drought could cripple whole regions of middle earth killing livestock, destroying crops, displacing people, stranding armies, etc.... However I don't see looking at it right now how any of those things could be easily implemented!

Offline GetAssista

• TLD Dev team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: May 06, 2011, 12:14:15 AM »
Interesting suggestions, Connors and cynan, thanks

TLD will not have any possibility of switching sides for the protagonist, cause it does not fit with the notion of epic struggle of good vs evil. Nor will it have the possibility of extended diplomatic dealings with the Enemy, it's a war of extermination.

No way to include the Ring into the player's story too, apart from possible hints and references here and there. Frodo went to Mordor unnoticed. Moreover, having an artifact of such power going anywhere near the player will cause a lot of problems and questions wrt balance, that do not fit MB medieval-battle-simulator concept.

We too have some ideas of our own wrt global events altering balance, specifically rallying particular factions that are stricken by adverse events back into ranks. Implementation of most of them will have to wait until after release, cause each of them requires separate block of code.

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 06, 2011, 02:33:54 AM »
Each need a separate block of code? Sounds awkward to code--hope you can copy and paste or something to make it easier.

With finding the one ring... just to clarify, I meant it to be one of the most difficult things to do in the game (it'd be so hard to find). Of course, I'm not pressing that you add it--just don't want people thinking I was saying, "We should be able to get the Ring early so we can be overpowered!".

Notably, you could consider a joke-like cheat option that gives you the ring, which in turn boosts your stats and etc.. Would awesome if it were somehow possible to make it a bonus you get for completing a campaign (IE: Winning the war for either side)  which you can use on a replay XD.

Offline FleshyStarfish

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 06, 2011, 04:18:43 AM »
Each need a separate block of code? Sounds awkward to code--hope you can copy and paste or something to make it easier.

With finding the one ring... just to clarify, I meant it to be one of the most difficult things to do in the game (it'd be so hard to find). Of course, I'm not pressing that you add it--just don't want people thinking I was saying, "We should be able to get the Ring early so we can be overpowered!".

Notably, you could consider a joke-like cheat option that gives you the ring, which in turn boosts your stats and etc.. Would awesome if it were somehow possible to make it a bonus you get for completing a campaign (IE: Winning the war for either side)  which you can use on a replay XD.

I was thinking to a different variation of this idea (btw thanks for suggesting it Conners).

I am not sure if its possible to code the One Ring and if it would be desirable to the TLD team.  Yet, we know from the book that the elves had some rings, the kings had rings and so did the dwarves.  According to the book, the men rings enslaved them (wraiths) and the elves still have their rings (Eldrond, etc.). 

Maybe something could be done with the "lost" dwarf rings?  Those rings in turn, when found will give something that dwarves loved such as: mithril armor, super sharp/shiny swords, ornamental headsets or just tons of gold.

In order to obtain these rings some of the following could be considered:
1.  You get one after defeating an enemy faction (i.e. it was hidden somewhere in the halls by their leader).  This could go for either good or bad and should probably only be a strong faction such as Isengard, Rohan, etc.).
2.  You, as a goodie, go to the area where the dwarves live and hear reports that the dwarves are being attacked by a major army of orcs.  You lead your own troops into battle with the orcs while they are fighting with the dwarves (i.e. coding version would be you would lead your troops in a battle where the head dwarf is the "marshal).  Both of the opposing forces are almost equal (dwarves and orcs), but your army makes the difference and together you vanquish the evil orcs.  Then, as a gift you receive a ring from the head dwarf...if he's still alive.  Afterwards, the dwarves begin to sprout little bands of troops in the region where you saved them until either (a) the Eohere are fighting as one vs. Mordor or (b) the elves go North.  At which point, the dwarves begin spawning lesser and greater hosts (sent towards Mordor).
3.  You have to go into a cave mission where after you come upon a group of orcs + a cave troll about to annihalite a small band of dwarves.  You subsequently save these guys by defeating the baddies as a group.  Afterwards you find the ring and dwarves give it to you as a gift.  Afterwards, you are considered to be like a "dwarf friend" and can request their troops to follow you.  On the other hand, however, if you are labeled as "dwarf friend" then you may not get the title of "elf friend" (which allows you to get Elf troops to follow you).

Just some ideas,

FS
hay wud up guys u shud mak a mod about lyk stuff i dunno wut but it wuld b kool lyk mabe gangstas were u start ur gang n fite mofos huh
http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,50345.msg1300951.html#msg130

Offline Sp00nlord

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 07, 2011, 07:22:48 AM »

Offline GetAssista

• TLD Dev team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 07, 2011, 08:15:48 AM »
Thinking on some of the previous suggestions would it be possible to implement faction specific start-up quests (similar to the opening ones in Native Warband)?
Surely, we were discussing strting quests. Some of them might make it to initial release.
However, faction specific + interesting ones = a lot of coding for not a lot of return. Means, it's not a priority now

Offline Sp00nlord

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: May 08, 2011, 04:59:25 AM »
I see where you're coming from  :). Alot of coding to only be used a single time each game and while they would be nice, it'd mostly be flavour rather than important content. Much better to have other content than mainly flavour.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:29:11 PM by Sp00nlord »

Offline MadVader

• Master
  • TLD, ex-PoP coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: May 08, 2011, 01:21:52 PM »
I see where you're coming from. Alot of coding to only be used a single time each game and while they would be nice, it'd mostly be flavour rather than content that's important.

You are asking for 18 starting quests for 18 factions. We might do one or two more general intro quests if time permits and whoever codes quests feels up to it.
The Last Days 3.0 - the ultimate Mount and Blade mod: http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/board,20.0.html

Offline Conners

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: May 08, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »
Just hire a million monkeys to use a million typewriters. Not only will you get all the works of Shakespere, you'll also get the code you want :P.

Wish there was an easier way to do such code, though... some of it isn't hard, but time-consuming.

Dungeons would be interesting, upon a port to Warband. Currently, they let you attack bandit hideouts. Like the mod where you play as the Dwarves of Moria, you could also have devling into mines and caves that orcs dwell in, for important elven weapons and so forth (trolls keep elven weapons, so I guess orcs would too).