login

Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 459138 times)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: TLD: Help needed: Models, Voices & Miscellaneous Jobs
« Reply #540 on: February 11, 2009, 03:57:09 am »
Guys:

May have something here.  Using some kind of cheezy auto-rigging program that I have no idea who cooked up, I've got the wolves to rig well enough to be usable.  Had to make a few minor changes on the body, so said rigging would pick them up correctly, but those won't show.

I'll get the rest of them and try to get them into a .brf file for you.  I'll also try to jury-rig the animations file and sounds so that they will work for either horse or canine (albeit not as well, in the case of horses).

My only stipulation for this contribution is that I get to use TLD's wolf skins for what I'm building as well, because I surely don't want to have to retexture one of those things myself.  You know how hard it is to get wolf fur looking right in a texture?  I wasn't going to use orcs riding dogs in mine, as it seemed too obvious a rip from Tolkien, but then the opportunity to set them up sort of fell in my lap.  (I may try to borrow some critters from Highelf's old Fantasy Mod as well.)

Anyway, they're not perfect, but they're usable ... and they're ready within the next week, not at some undetermined time in the future.  I know the wargs were a major bottleneck on the port ... not now, they're not.

(Also, I'll try to get back with Marco Tarini on some of his better wolf models ... I somehow doubt they will auto-rig as well, but it doesn't hurt to try.  And maybe he can reverse-engineer that auto-rig routine, so we could work around the obvious bugs in BRFEdit for a while.)

Anyway, details when they're ready.  One of the major bottlenecks just got fixed... sort of.

Vinter

« Reply #541 on: February 11, 2009, 04:49:03 am »
Hei guys!

First of all I have to mention, that I've never played Mount & Blade, hehe. Actually I discovered it only yesterday evening, by looking on the paradox-page. Quite intrigued by the concept I started looking for more information about it and came across the vast modding-community. As a former fan (almost an apostle) of Tolkien's masterpiece I took a deeper look on TLD and... hell yeah, count me in!

Few years ago (2001-2004) I worked on two LotR Ultima Online Freeshards (Ringwelt, Uo-Mittelerde) as an overwhelmingly untalented graphical designer (sprites and stuff) and composer.

What can I contribute?
Not much, unfortunately... I'm neither good at scripts/codes nor at graphical design. Sry, not very acquainted with this stuff (I'm studying class. archaeology and scandinavian philology...).

Buuuuuut I can help you with the music in TLD... I'm a more or less talented composer. So, are you working on a soundtrack for TLD?

Greetings from Avstria,
Vinter

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #542 on: February 11, 2009, 05:17:30 am »
Ron: wolf/warg things are happening in the dev area right now, so I can't really say. AW will hopefully tell you.

Vinter: sadly, we do have a composer. :(
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Triglav

• Master
  • I'll bite your axe off!
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 11, 2009, 06:02:15 am »
Hey Vinter. Nice to have you here.

Stick around, as an expert in the lore, I'm sure you can contribute some positive feedback to our modding efforts.

"Of course, just by reading this forum you get a geek point. If you post you get a lifetime membership card.
If you contribute to the mod your praises are sung by the lords of dorkistan for an age and a half."
-Ancientwanker

DaBlade

« Reply #544 on: February 11, 2009, 08:19:31 am »
@ Ron:
Yeah, we're taking care of the wargs, but thanks for letting us know you managed rig them. Someone else should know better than me if we could still use what you got.

@ Vinter:

Welcome Vinter, and thanks for the offer.

Like Merlkir said, we do have a composer working on the TLD soundtrack, but perhaps we could use your stuff as well. Could you show us something? In case your stuff blends well with what we have already, I see no reason why we shouldn't use it. Pagan (our composer) would probably welcome some help with the massive number of tracks we need.

Vinter

« Reply #545 on: February 11, 2009, 09:03:29 am »
Yesterday I worked on some random stuff that I could show you. Nothing special and I didn't put much effort into it, but it is not that bad...

http://rapidshare.com/files/196785371/try.mp3.html

DaBlade

« Reply #546 on: February 11, 2009, 10:30:41 am »
Yesterday I worked on some random stuff that I could show you. Nothing special and I didn't put much effort into it, but it is not that bad...

http://rapidshare.com/files/196785371/try.mp3.html

Hey, I like it! :D

I'm sure you could improve it a bit, but I think it has beautyfull parts already. I also think it would blend nicely with pagan's stuff, although the styles are different.

Let's see what the rest of the guys have to say, but as far as I'm concerned I think this kind of stuff would work nicely in TLD.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 11, 2009, 11:25:03 am »
I don't know...I'm no musician, but the first half has many monotonous and repetitive places, the harp (or whatever it is) motive is ok, but the strings are kind of annoying. The second half is much better. I like the ominous vocals. Of course, piano and the weird drum don't really fit our style, but that's not important since it's a demo.
Maybe listen to Pagan's stuff and see if you could do something like that.

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 11, 2009, 11:51:26 am »
Hey Vinter,

As they say, we have a dude but we can probably pad some of his stuff out with another contributor.

Yeah, I think its promising.  I agree the piano isnt working.  Maybe a heavier, rougher drum.  Brass, drum, omnious vocals are really the norm iirc.

Dablade coordinates the sound stuff so if you want to help out with it, he can point out what we might need.   Or you can run it by others here. Or post it. Up to you.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:19:37 pm by Ancientwanker »

DaBlade

« Reply #549 on: February 11, 2009, 11:59:36 am »
If we go into the details I'd say:

- I like how it starts and how the strings build up over the harp melody.
- The next strings part is weak and repetitive, it would need to be worked on.
- The next part with the strings and the piano is good (I like it). To fit TLD better, it would be a matter of making the piano part be played by the harp; I think that would work.
- The next part with the voices is kinda nice, but the voice samples don't sound that good. I like the background beat and how the timpani help to punctuate it. Again, the piano part could be played by the harp in order to fit TLD better.
- The end is fine, but I'd drop the very last bit.

The fact it's overall a bit repetitive it's not a bad thing (in my opinion), since it's a soundtrack; not meant to work on its own, but to be a part of something else. I turned the M&B native music off because I find it too distracting ;)

There you go :)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 11, 2009, 12:08:01 pm »
well. what they said. When making music for TLD, the LOTR movie soundtracks are good inspiration for style/instruments. And since it's for MaB, every track should have a purpose - walk in a town, peaceful map travelling music or a pumping battle piece.

DaBlade

« Reply #551 on: February 11, 2009, 12:18:59 pm »
Yeah. I've put together a list of the tracks we need. It would be a matter of checking it out with pagan and see what we have already and what still needs to be done (I'm sure there's still a lot to be done :P).

******* EDIT ********

Vinter, I still need to check it out with pagan (he's been quiet latelly), but this is more or less what we need:

- TLD_main_screen (Main theme, plays every time the game starts)

- ambushed_by_neutral
- ambushed_by_gondor
- ambushed_by_rohan
- ambushed_by_elves
- ambushed_by_dwarves
- ambushed_by_good (generic, could be used for Northmen and Dale)
- ambushed_by_evil (generic, could be used for Corssairs, more?)
- ambushed_by_orcs
- ambushed_by_harad
- ambushed_by_easterlings
- ambushed_by_dunland

- arena_1 (plays in the arena fights)

- armorer (?)

- bandit_fight (what the name says I guess)

- calm_night (?)

- capture

- defeated_by_neutral (there are 3 of these in native, short)

- empty_village (?)

- escape (from captivity, short)

- fight_1
- fight_2
- fight_3

- fight_as_gondor
- fight_as_rohan
- fight_as_elf
- fight_as_dwarf
- fight_as_good (generic)
- fight_as_evil (generic)
- fight_as_orc
- fight_as_harad
- fight_as_esterling
- fight_as_dunland

- killed_by_good (generic, short)
- killed_by_evil (generic, short)

- lords_hall_gondor
- lords_hall_rohan
- lords_hall_elves
- lords_hall_dwarves
- lords_hall_good (generic)
- lords_hall_evil (generic)
- lords_hall_mordor
- lords_hall_isengard

- infiltration_good (for the stealth missions)
- infiltration_evil (for the stealth missions)

- retreat (generic, short)

- seige_neutral (only if we come to use sieges. There is no specific music for factions in native)

- tavern_1
- tavern_2

- town_neutral
- town_gondor
- town_rohan
- town_elves
- town_dwarves
- town_good (generic)
- town_evil (generic)
- town_mordor
- town_isengard
- town_harad
- town_easterling
- town_dunland

- travel_gondor
- travel_rohan
- travel_elf
- travel_dwarf
- travel_good (generic)
- travel_evil (generic)
- travel_orc
- travel_harad
- travel_easterling
- travel_dunland

- uncertain_homestead (?)

- victorious_good (generic, short)
- victorious_evil (generic, short)

And this what's already done:

- ambushed_by_orcs

- arena_1 (plays in the arena fights)

- escape (from captivity, short)

- fight_as_gondor
- fight_as_rohan
- fight_as_orc
- fight_as_harad

- killed_by_good (generic, short)
- killed_by_evil (generic, short)

- infiltration_good (for the stealth missions)
- infiltration_evil (for the stealth missions)

- retreat (generic, short)

- seige_neutral (only if we come to use sieges. There is no specific music for factions in native)

- tavern_1

- town_neutral
- town_gondor
- town_rohan

- victorious_good (generic, short)
- victorious_evil (generic, short)

Still plenty to choose from :P

Feel fre to send me a PM if you wish ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:52:21 pm by DaBlade »

Oroonin

« Reply #552 on: February 12, 2009, 04:46:06 pm »

DaBlade

« Reply #553 on: February 12, 2009, 05:02:49 pm »

He refers to it as magic.

We usually call it creative rigging. The hitboxes don't get changed though, which means you have to hit him over his head for the game to read it as a head hit. Not cool. We know how it's done, but thanks anyway ;)

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 12, 2009, 05:37:21 pm »
Hitboxes are less the worry as the gear.  Without the connection points changing you have to have race specific gear for a few areas.   I'd rather avoid that.   But creative rigging may be the only option eventually.  We did that with the troll before.

Once brfedit is out, we'll know what's possible. Until then dwarves are in the "cant be bothered until we know more" pile.  I'm not really solving anything there, its above my pay grade. We have to wait on the smarter people.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:40:03 pm by Ancientwanker »