Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 493946 times)

DaBlade

Re: TLD: Help needed: Models, Voices & Miscellaneous Jobs
« Reply #375 on: October 24, 2007, 12:04:06 pm »
Looking good! I suggest moving your models/textures posts to the concept art topic from now on (we should continue discussion there), and leave this to posts offering help. ;)

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • Guildsman
  • My scalp's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 24, 2007, 12:28:58 pm »
aquiefrog, I think I remember a post where you were worried about beards clipping past your mask helm.

I think (haven't checked) that the new itp_covers_head prevents rendering of the character's head(and therefore, beard). So it will be fine (as will the ironhead dwarf helmet).

aquiefrog

« Reply #377 on: October 24, 2007, 01:27:56 pm »
aquiefrog, I think I remember a post where you were worried about beards clipping past your mask helm.

I think (haven't checked) that the new itp_covers_head prevents rendering of the character's head(and therefore, beard). So it will be fine (as will the ironhead dwarf helmet).

I think that would only work with great helm style helmets where the helmet covers the entire head, the eye slits being just a black texture.  However the mask helms I made followed the style of the variag mask helm where in a significant portion of the head is visible through the mask.  I think if I use itp_covers_head, the result would make it look like a headless character with a floating helm.

regarding the beards, I've made some adjustments near the chin area to give allowance for beards, but it's not a fix for all beards.  Even some native helms clip with beards so I guess that it's acceptable.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2007, 01:37:48 pm »

Merlkir I love your sketches.  I just paint them gritty in my mind.  8)  When I read the books, I thought of the setting as more dirty, maybe early-iron age even before steel.  Refugees, dark magical terror, and global tragedy.  I am sure my opinions here are not in line with the books... 

The helm was field armor.  If you guys play M&B like I do your character probably doesnt spend many days in parades, or even towns for that matter.  Armor gets flat and dirty almost instantly - not that this is a reality mod either...  The mail on the helm was meant to be large bronze rings sewn on to leather, and not so much the tight steel links that was indeed most desireable.  I admit it is not the greatest of textures regardless. :D 

I am familiar with the WK40K stuff and I love it!!!  But, thats another game.  That look and feel is copied in every fantasy game available now.  To me it looks puffy, plastic, and commercialized in a fantasy (not sci-fi) game.  But, if you guys want the model you can modify it and/or the texture it however you wish.  I am familiar with modding and know stuff needs to fit in with other art.  "Too many cooks in the kitchen..." thing. 

Besides, you guys have great texture artists already. To be honest, I figured whoever does your other textures would do this one as well.  It looks kind of lame when you have 2 different mail textures next to each other, i.e., helm and armor textures made by two different artists using different source art.  I just wanted something besides a checker pattern on it.

of course! :) just send the model and texture to DaBlade (or me or AW) and we'll do something about it if we really feel the need to change it. :) thanks
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Brutus

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2007, 04:58:05 pm »
I will move this to concept art thread and repost when done playing. 

I modified the model because it seemed people liked the shape.  I found the M&B head model so the eyes are lined up so I opened the eye slits.  I redid the UV map too.  Apparently the art standard is higher than I was aware of for M&B. :D  I am reskinning it while Im on it - just for something to do (not that it cant be scrapped later too :P)

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 24, 2007, 06:07:47 pm »
Cool. Thanks for the help Brutus. Looking good.

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 29, 2007, 09:40:30 am »
Yoshi is really busy lately so we could probably use a rigger for the modified warg. Riggers tend to be a little scarce but I thought I'd put it out there.

Offline Brutus

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 29, 2007, 10:25:32 am »
I can rig, paint weights, and animate.  Hardly a pro, and my experience is limited to Maya...

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 29, 2007, 10:37:54 am »
I can rig, paint weights, and animate.  Hardly a pro, and my experience is limited to Maya...

I think it's fine, Maya should have an exporter for the file type BRFedit can chew..

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Brutus

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 29, 2007, 11:40:31 am »
Here was my first rig and walk animation (for UT2k4).  The media kinda stinks so it doesn't loop, let alone loop correctly.  Looks better in game but you can at least see what I could do. :P

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v315/ibebrutus/?action=view&current=walkfront.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v315/ibebrutus/?action=view&current=walkrear.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v315/ibebrutus/?action=view&current=walkside.flv

Here was my concept art and rotoscope of the model, just for kicks. :D

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 29, 2007, 11:47:18 am »
the rigging in MaB so far has been fairly simple. You have a native skeleton and you just have to make the mesh match and respond without any clipping. Once we get the custom skeletons, it's gonna get interesting :)

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 29, 2007, 03:17:39 pm »
That's great that you can rig.  I sent you the mtarini modified warg and texture for when you get a chance.

Offline Brutus

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 29, 2007, 08:21:25 pm »
Looking grim for us Maya users if M&B uses SMD files.  Im investigating and will try to find an answer but Im not holding my breath.  I have failed in the past getting SMDs into/outta Maya for a HL2 mod.  If there are GMAX/3Ds or XSI users they can probably help you much easier.

Damn SMD files!!!

Offline Senta

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 29, 2007, 08:29:56 pm »
Looking grim for us Maya users if M&B uses SMD files.  Im investigating and will try to find an answer but Im not holding my breath.  I have failed in the past getting SMDs into/outta Maya for a HL2 mod.  If there are GMAX/3Ds or XSI users they can probably help you much easier.

Damn SMD files!!!

i thought maya supports smd export... or at the very least there are some plug ins etc.

PS: this is something that could possibly help, not sure as i am no expert and youmight have already tried this:

- From the Valve Dev Wiki (specifies Maya 7, but can be used with any version of Maya)

The Source SDK comes with scripts that allow Maya to import and export SMD files. In order to use them, we must put them in the correct Maya scripts folder. So, copy the contents of the ...\SteamApps\<account name>\sourcesdk\maya\4.5\scripts\ to the \maya\7.0PLE\scripts\ folder in My Documents. Now we need to tweak two of the script files to avoid version compatibility problems. Go into \maya\7.0PLE\scripts\smd\ (the folder you just pasted), select both smdRead.mel and smdMakeShader.mel, right-click, select Properties, and uncheck "Read-only." Now open smdMakeShader.mel with Notepad and change the line

connectAttr -f ($place + ".mirror") ($fileTex + ".mirror");

to

//connectAttr -f ($place + ".mirror") ($fileTex + ".mirror");

Save and close. Now open smdRead.mel with Notepad and change the line

print `system "time"`;

to

//print `system "time"`;

Save and close.  Open up Maya, and the import smd and export smd options will be in the File menu. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 08:36:16 pm by Senta »

Offline Brutus

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 29, 2007, 08:57:01 pm »
Thanks Senta.  I have seen/done this drill for a HL2 mod.  Still huge issues though.  Thats why I am not modding Source... :P 

I have Pralls plugin installed correctly and I do have an import SMD button.  When I import the SMD file though it only shows some strange symbol and nothing else I can identify or manipulate.

I posted on the Taleworlds modding area.  Hopefully someone there can help.