Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 493902 times)

Balduran

Re: TLD: Help needed: Models, Voices & Miscellaneous Jobs
« Reply #345 on: October 20, 2007, 07:06:23 am »
Hammer-armed regiments don't sound strange.  The military hammer was one of the most popular sidearms of the middle ages.  Also, pole-hammers were common both for mounted and foot knights for centuries.

Then again, the sling was among the most common weapons on Earth up until the late Roman Empire, and is still often seen about the Middle East today.

You don't understand me. Hammers at war don't sound weird. ELVES WITH HAMMERS sound weird :P

Well, "elves" sound weird no matter what.
Not for me.
Point taken though.

Highlander

« Reply #346 on: October 20, 2007, 12:44:27 pm »
mtarini:
I just tried that shader in 894, it looks really nice!
There is a problem with the lightening though. The mesh is very dark.

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #347 on: October 20, 2007, 01:50:22 pm »
mtarini:
I just tried that shader in 894, it looks really nice!
There is a problem with the lightening though. The mesh is very dark.

Thanks for the testing!
How dark? Like, totally black? I will try to see which one of the assumptions I was making broke from 0.80x to 0.89x.

Highlander

« Reply #348 on: October 20, 2007, 02:03:24 pm »
Not totally black:

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #349 on: October 20, 2007, 02:25:35 pm »
Does anybody know a cheat to get a sunny day? I can't test this due to stoooooopid fog and rain. Day after day.
My standard seem fine, is such a dark weather.

(but, I adjusted it to behave better with: faster horses, larger fields, both of which affected the way it waves. It is supposed to look better -- wave less -- than the one in the screenshot above)

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #350 on: October 20, 2007, 04:00:08 pm »
Ok, that should be fixed.

redownload the ADD.TO.mb.fx and reappend it.
New version should work with both the 0.80x and 0.89x versions. (let me know)

I double checked the shading (removing most textures, to see clearer) and it seems ok now:

[test in M&B 0.892 native- many textures removed]

« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:39:36 pm by mtarini »

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #351 on: October 20, 2007, 05:31:30 pm »
beards are going to be a problem.  :-[

The helm REALLY looks good.

I just want to explain my "glass eyelid" suggestion here. I've been trying before (for other helms as well), and failed to explain myself, so this time I am using a sketch.

What I am suggesting is that you add a few alpha transparent polygons where the shadow should be.
Their color should be back, but the per vertex alpha should be semitransparent (alpha=0.5 or so) to fully transparent (alpha=0.0).

like this (A stands for alpha):
which should look like this:

So that:

face parts under and behind
the helm are too well lit.

+

shadowing polygons

=

problem solved
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 05:36:00 pm by mtarini »

Father Chains

« Reply #352 on: October 20, 2007, 07:07:27 pm »
Interesting - I cannot remember reading about that. Can you remember which HoMe book it is from?

I believe it's from the tale of the Fall of Gondolin. I think the folk of the Tree wielded clubs and slings, or something like that. I'll browse through the book a bit, see if I catch the paragraph.

EDIT:

Yeah, I checked it the lazy man's way - wiki'd it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondolin

Apparently, the Bar-en-Galadh wielded clubs and slings.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 07:09:58 pm by Father Chains »

Apoc

« Reply #353 on: October 21, 2007, 12:03:20 am »
Interesting - I cannot remember reading about that. Can you remember which HoMe book it is from?

I believe it's from the tale of the Fall of Gondolin. I think the folk of the Tree wielded clubs and slings, or something like that. I'll browse through the book a bit, see if I catch the paragraph.

EDIT:

Yeah, I checked it the lazy man's way - wiki'd it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondolin

Apparently, the Bar-en-Galadh wielded clubs and slings.

Thanks!

Father Chains

« Reply #354 on: October 21, 2007, 07:30:45 am »
Thanks!

No problem.

What strikes me as strange is that the Folk of the Fountain wore crystalline armour and wielded huge longswords and generally wrought havoc, and the House of the Hammer of Wrath wielded maces and killed Balrogs and Dragons and felled seven times their own number in their last stand.

And then there's Galdor's House of the Tree. They had clubs. And slings.

Poor chap.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 21, 2007, 08:11:23 am »
Don't underestimate a sling.  The Roman Legions both used and feared them, and their military surgeons carried pliers specifically designed to remove various sizes of sling pellets from a human body.  Goliath of Gath was brought down by a Benjamite-type Hebrew sling.  Egypt, Persia, Babylon, the Aztecs ... great empires used slings as often as bows.  They are NOT a weapon to be taken lightly.  Underestimating a sling is a good way to find a stone the size of a golf ball just slightly to the left of your spleen.  They're a LOT more deadly than many of the popular calibers of automatic handguns these days.  I am not kidding. 

Of course, slings dropped in popularity because it's a real pain to learn to use one.  Also true of the atlatl dart, and more recently the bow, for that matter.  Crossbows, and later guns, phased them out just because of ease of use.

I suspect Tolkien was not using drugs, or at least not any new drugs, when assigning slings to a group as their primary missile weapons.  Slings have a very strong performance record.

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #356 on: October 21, 2007, 09:45:12 am »
Of course, slings dropped in popularity because it's a real pain to learn to use one.

And, rate of fire?

In my imagination, a slingshot takes long seconds to charge effectively with kinetic energy. I guess there was an ideal number of rotations to be made before shooting, that the slinged troops were instructed to use -- but that's my guessing. Intuition also tells me that they might be an intrinsically inaccurate weapon (w.r.t bows or crossbows). Finally, I expect an heavy stone to fly a way shorter distance than an aerodynamic arrow (which damages because of its sharp point, other than because of its pure kinetic energy). Confirmation or denial of this guesswork by the informed ones? (Ron?)

(Also: I know the comparison with modern firearms is just for the sake of showing how dangerous a slingshot can be, but there's no match, military-wise, between something crude as a sling and a weapon that can fired, say, while lying on the ground, or thought a hole as big as a fist, and with a latency of the time needed to push a trigger, etc. -- but ths is going way off topic)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:42:06 pm by mtarini »

Offline DSparil

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 21, 2007, 03:30:22 pm »
Quick question about waving standards, is this free for anyone to use in mods? or is it TLD exclusive?

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #358 on: October 21, 2007, 04:04:55 pm »
Sure.

What would be the point of preventing its use in other mods?
It's not like MODs are in competition with each other, quite the opposite in facts.
Acknowledge your sources -- that's the general rule -- and go ahead.

(Unless, AW has some specific policy for stuff made for TLD and appearing in this forum. But I don't think so.)

Father Chains

« Reply #359 on: October 21, 2007, 04:37:21 pm »
Don't underestimate a sling.  The Roman Legions both used and feared them, and their military surgeons carried pliers specifically designed to remove various sizes of sling pellets from a human body.  Goliath of Gath was brought down by a Benjamite-type Hebrew sling.  Egypt, Persia, Babylon, the Aztecs ... great empires used slings as often as bows.  They are NOT a weapon to be taken lightly.  Underestimating a sling is a good way to find a stone the size of a golf ball just slightly to the left of your spleen.  They're a LOT more deadly than many of the popular calibers of automatic handguns these days.  I am not kidding. 

Of course, slings dropped in popularity because it's a real pain to learn to use one.  Also true of the atlatl dart, and more recently the bow, for that matter.  Crossbows, and later guns, phased them out just because of ease of use.

I suspect Tolkien was not using drugs, or at least not any new drugs, when assigning slings to a group as their primary missile weapons.  Slings have a very strong performance record.

I'm not underestimating them - nor the atlatls, those are reputed to have been hurled through a Conquistador's plate armour on both sides and stuck him in a tree.

I'm just saying - crystalline and longswords vs. clubs and slings!