Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 493897 times)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
Re: TLD: Help needed: Models, Voices & Miscellaneous Jobs
« Reply #300 on: October 18, 2007, 07:29:14 am »
It works nicely, I like the effect. The model is a quick job and all, but we already have some banners made from a long time ago..
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

aquiefrog

« Reply #301 on: October 18, 2007, 08:59:15 am »
Texturing is giving me a real headache.  It's a fun learning process, though.

EDIT:

It's a work in progress.  The texture really needs serious work.  I'm just learning along the way.  I'll try to shrink the texture or map it to an existing one if I can.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:07:13 am by aquiefrog »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 18, 2007, 09:23:07 am »
It's coming along real nice :) keep it up

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

DaBlade

« Reply #303 on: October 18, 2007, 11:07:24 am »
Yeah, it's looking good. Keep it up ;)

Offline Triglav

• Master
  • I'll bite your axe off!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 18, 2007, 11:41:28 am »
Texturing is giving me a real headache.  It's a fun learning process, though.

EDIT:

It's a work in progress.  The texture really needs serious work.  I'm just learning along the way.  I'll try to shrink the texture or map it to an existing one if I can.

Yeah, would be better to map to an existing TLD texture. Plenty of helmet textures already there.
"Of course, just by reading this forum you get a geek point. If you post you get a lifetime membership card.
If you contribute to the mod your praises are sung by the lords of dorkistan for an age and a half."
-Ancientwanker

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #305 on: October 18, 2007, 12:47:36 pm »
Yes, I am a little concerned, as Triglav, to needlessly increase to number of textures that needs to be used at once, especially big ones.

About the waving stendatd, Merlkir is right about the prototipe model being crude. Here is how to make new custom ones.
(the stendart itself is crude, but the horiziontal wooden thinghy that is used to keep the flag up is nice. Needs only to be textured.

First, if you downloaded it already, please REDOWNLOAD and reapply the shader. It is a little improved and fixed.

Small "make new stendart" how-to guide

In the BRF containing the new stendarts, create and use a "material" that uses "standart_shader" as shader (and your texture as the texture, of course).
The shader BRF resource is included in the test stendart brf file. Used texture can be any size (power of 2 as always).

When that shader is activated, different parts of the object will wave or not (and, if so, will wave to a more or less degree) according to their position in the texture (see sketch on the right).

Any object part that is textured with the rightmost quarter of texture will behave normally (no waving). So, use this for all fixed parts of the weapon.

The rest will wave. The amount of waving will decrease (to 0) in the top and in left part of the texture, where the stendart is supposedly tied to a hard fixed support.

Note that this has nothing to do with the actual shape of the stendart in X,Y,Z space. However, it is assumed to lie in the (X=0) plane (it is so just to be a little more performing, but this limitation can be removed in the future if needed).

If you want to shape the stendart more freely (holes, etc), you can still use the usual alpha-masking technique (as normal: activate the "alpha test" in the material and use a texture with an alpha channel).  -- use new version of my shaders: old one ignored alpha.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:55:07 pm by mtarini »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 18, 2007, 12:52:40 pm »
great! we really have to exploit that :) I'll think about some standard shapes we could use for different races.

Is it possible to have a waving standard set as a shield?

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 18, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »
No worries, that helm will probably go on some kind of unified easterling helm sheet at a reduced size (which doesnt really exist yet in the current version). Im more concerned with seeing his interpretation of the texture and then the good bits can be moved and optimized later.  It will probably go on the same sheet with the easterling mask helm (minus the harad armor thats there now).

Once this next version is out, it should be easier to point people to specific sheets to use.

About the waving stendatd, Merlkir is right about the prototipe model being crude. Here is how to make new custom ones.
(the stendart itself is crude, but the horiziontal wooden thinghy that is used to keep the flag up is nice. Needs only to be textured.

Cool.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:04:54 pm by Ancientwanker »

aquiefrog

« Reply #308 on: October 18, 2007, 01:07:02 pm »

I used what I assume is the variag face helm texture.  I added in a small part in the blank space for holes and fastener thingies.

I'm having trouble testing it in game.  I'm getting RGL errors when I'm running 0.894

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #309 on: October 18, 2007, 01:07:53 pm »
Merklir: (about shields as stendarts).
Hum, I don't see how shields and stendarts mix. Do you mean to make an left-hand held stendarts that is only "technically" a shield?
That, or you have a concept in mind that I don't.

In any case, I can't see any problem with that. Except two:

1 - clearly, you cannot have, in the same mesh,
  both "alpha means shininess", useful for partly iron stuff (use "iron_shader"),
  and "alpha means transparent", useful for ragged and shaped stendarts (use the new "standart_shader").
  I (or anyone) could make a second a waving shader for partly iron objects, but with no alpha masking.
  Should I? Of course, one can shape the standart with polygons, instead of with alpha channel.

2 - I am not sure that the X=0 plane of the shield is the one you want for the standard. We must try.
    If not so, I need to make a general waving shader that doesn't assume the waving standart is on that plane.
    Takes seconds to do, but I will if needed (just not to waste instructions on the graphic cards).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 02:14:58 pm by mtarini »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 18, 2007, 01:12:59 pm »
standards "set" as shields (in the left hand) work. The position has to be altered/ rotated, but it works nicely.

aquiefrog: the helmet looks really nice! :)

aquiefrog

« Reply #311 on: October 18, 2007, 01:23:06 pm »
aquiefrog: the helmet looks really nice! :)

Thanks!  :green:

I've gonna try to get it in-game tomorrow, and see if it clips with things.  It's past 3 AM and I have work tomorrow.

EDIT:

couldn't wait until tomorrow.  Got it in-game, some clipping occurs with certain armours.  I'll figure out the shaders tomorrow....
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:43:16 pm by aquiefrog »

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 18, 2007, 01:26:08 pm »
Yeah, that came out really nice. Good spot for the texture too.

Offline Ursca

• Deus Vult Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 18, 2007, 01:33:35 pm »
That waving standard is very impressive. I didn't think things like that were possible with shaders.
Is there anything else like this that's possible that we don't know about?

Also, when you say there's no way to have specular and transparency on the same object, I suppose it's not possible to have more than one alpha channel?
A specular/transparency shader would be really handy for quite a lot of people. Well, it would be handy for me, at least.  ;)

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #314 on: October 18, 2007, 01:43:08 pm »
Love that helm!

Aquiefrog: consider adding "dark-glass eye screens":
they are supposed to be holes, of course, but they may well darkened so that the part of the face that will be visible through the holes is realistically darkened. Otherwise, seeing well lit eyes inside a totally closed helm will look strange.
To get this, you need to add the polygons to cover the eyes either assign a per-vertex color of a semitransparent black color (r,g,b=0, alpha = 0.5), or map into a alpha=0.5 colored part of the texture. You can color polygons in BRF edit. Also, you would need to activate "alpha blending" in the used material.