Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 493926 times)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
Re: TLD: Help needed: Models, Voices & Miscellaneous Jobs
« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2007, 10:37:43 am »
 make the actual upper jaw longer than the lowe one. That'll make it more wolvish. The second try was much better than the first one.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2007, 12:13:40 pm »
make the actual upper jaw longer than the lowe one. That'll make it more wolvish. The second try was much better than the first one.

Thanks. Just tried and, well, you were right, it looks more wolvish (left image). But, again, it also look less evil w.r.t. with the longer lower jaw (right image).
Hum... this time I would personally go with the "ugly" version (on the right), but let me know what you think.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 13, 2007, 12:17:00 pm »
well, I won't really mind any of those two. If you'd like to try a "skinny hardened battle wolf", try making the whole head thinner and longer towards the snout. The head of a wolf is rather hairy and fluffy in the base, but the snout has short hair which makes it look rather...don't know :) sticking out.

maybe these help. Maybe. stressing the fangs some more would help. The texture was a very quick job back then..

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #258 on: October 13, 2007, 12:40:56 pm »
The texture was a very quick job back then..

BTW, the texture you are seeing are not the original one, I remade it already (to make space for the fangs on the front part). If you notice, the model looks decent from the front, unlike the original wolf model.

I wouldn't like wargs to look like the real wolves above, not even the upset one. They must look a lot more like the "300" one posted by Triglav.
For the same reason I made the head larger (make it looks like it will hunt humans rather than rabbits).

But you are totally right about the fangs!!! How didn't I think about that. Will try that (but first the UVmapping must be further imporved there).

Meanwhile...

Look closely. Which of the above looks better, overall?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 12:43:25 pm by mtarini »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 13, 2007, 12:46:35 pm »
I'd say the middle or the right one. Can't really decide.

And I still recognize the head part in the texture :D I painted the eyes and the teeth over :)

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #260 on: October 13, 2007, 01:02:21 pm »
I see, nice work. Actually, I suspected that as I think recognized your touch!
Just if you are curious, I painted over your paint over, to: increase resolution x2 (the fur texture requred this), add frontal teeth (I adapted the u-v parametrization not to be ill defined near the symmetry plane), make the eye brighter, reposition eye+teeth to fit the new model. Tiny detail: the glimpse in the center of the eye is red.

So, anyone? Middle or right one?

Offline Triglav

• Master
  • I'll bite your axe off!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 13, 2007, 01:07:42 pm »

So, anyone? Middle or right one?

Middle is ok I think.
Lengthen the neck a bit maybe and thin the belly. Paint some ribs maybe too and make the fur more scruffy, yes?
"Of course, just by reading this forum you get a geek point. If you post you get a lifetime membership card.
If you contribute to the mod your praises are sung by the lords of dorkistan for an age and a half."
-Ancientwanker

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #262 on: October 13, 2007, 05:18:36 pm »

Triglav: good ideas.
Scruffier fur: beyond my skill. Painted ribs: can't do. Too much fur.

Belly and neck tinned. Claws added (took forever to parametrixe the thing nicely).

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #263 on: October 13, 2007, 05:32:14 pm »

Small update: actually, wargs are known to never wash their teeth:

Offline Ursca

• Deus Vult Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 13, 2007, 05:35:22 pm »
You try brushing your teeth when you've got paws.  :P

Looks good. Is it worth doing something extra with the feet? They look a bit square,
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 05:02:56 am by Ursca »

Offline Triglav

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 13, 2007, 05:45:35 pm »
Yup. I'd say this looks very mean now.
"Of course, just by reading this forum you get a geek point. If you post you get a lifetime membership card.
If you contribute to the mod your praises are sung by the lords of dorkistan for an age and a half."
-Ancientwanker

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #266 on: October 13, 2007, 05:51:55 pm »
Ursca: I know, but I dare not add any new vertices because if would break Yoshi's rigging.

So far, all the way from the initial rigged model (by Yoshi), I kept a 1-1 vertex relationship, also using the same vertices for the same thing (neck into neck, tail into tail, etc), so that the original Yoshi rigging can be reused at last as a starting set for re-rigging (will it suck or not, I don't know).

Triglav: good! Since my last screenshot, I changed the nose part a little (again) to make it back more wolf-ish. For some reason, it drifted toward bear-ish during my last edits. Too lazy to screenshot it again. I'm done for today.

EDIT: But, for tomorrow, I've a request: do you have a saved game where your character has a warg to ride? Just to test the rigging.

EDIT2: Anybody: interested in trying it out? All files (texture + tentatively rigged resource file) here
   Just replace files in TLD subfolders.
   Also, feel free to re-edit texture or 3D model if you feel inspired. My version is still not enough evil-side-looking IMO.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 10:25:52 pm by mtarini »

Offline Triglav

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2007, 02:02:54 am »
It looks ok, but the rigging is all messed up. Needs to be redone. See here:

click click

Also in the brf file you duplicated texture and material entries, which gives a CTD when launching game. Remove and it should be ok.
-Ancientwanker

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2007, 11:07:33 am »
Okay, Ill PM Yoshi this week for a re-rig. Ill give a few days to make sure we have a final. It's looking pretty mean.

emperor77

« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2007, 11:11:27 am »

Small update: actually, wargs are known to never wash their teeth:

Maybe you should add some dry blood to the varg's face (they are known as VERY violent creatures). But anyway its just a thought.