login

Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 493984 times)

CoonDawg

Re: TLD: Help needed: Models, Voices & Miscellaneous Jobs
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2007, 06:32:33 pm »
Actually, your first question answered my second one when you said you'd "See right through them" :)

Thanks, that saves me work and polys. They're at an acceptable level right now, and if I had to do the interior that would destroy that.

I'm having a wonderful time learning to texture... It's like driving rusty needles into my eyes. So fun.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 02:10:42 pm by CoonDawg »

Ollieh

« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2007, 04:38:27 pm »
Hit me with models to do, I'll try my best...Merlkir or AW.
Here is a practice helmet I did:

Yeah, I know it is very un-usable/not protective.

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2007, 06:45:42 pm »
Needs some work but not bad at all.

I havent had a chance to f around with the mod today but Ill send some concepts around to those who asked by tommorrow.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2007, 01:39:01 am »
my suggestions:
- make the texture more metallic, rusty and all, look at ursca's, he's got a couple good metal textures.
- The chunks at the sides could be cheekguards and the spikes going forward from them could be more spikyish (ie, thinner)
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2007, 02:22:36 am »
I like the forward-turned spikes ... sort of resembling tusks, plus they serve as good neck/throat guards.

However, the top of the head being exposed would never cut it.  The straps make for a cool fantasy look, but their severe lack of efficiency would make them very out-of-place among the generally historically inspired helmets in TLD.  Go ahead and fill in the gaps there - make it into a rounded helmet.

Ollieh

« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2007, 03:26:44 am »
Hmm...I was having soo much fun trying to re-texture, in short I suck at texturing, might be the model...dunno.
Here is one earlier version of the same helmet, should I do something like this.

I hope Ursca won't mind using his texture...
Anyway, I'm not happy with the streteched uv-mapping, but it was practice anyways.
If anyone want's to give a go with uv-mapping&texturing, I would be more than happy!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 04:28:31 am by Ollieh »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2007, 05:19:46 am »
Yeah, the helmet on top makes it look much more practical.

As for the texture mapping, I wouldn't panic.  If it looks vaguely like metal, odds are nobody will notice.  I mean, just studying the thing in BRFEdit is one thing ... in game is another.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2007, 05:29:51 am »
it's definitely sort of heavy mean attack based uruk-hai helmet :) not bad I'd say...the previous wouldn't be bad either, if you've put a leather cap under the metal strips over the head..

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2007, 05:47:42 am »
it's definitely sort of heavy mean attack based uruk-hai helmet :) not bad I'd say...the previous wouldn't be bad either, if you've put a leather cap under the metal strips over the head..

Leather cap under the strips would make it functional, but still odd ... I mean, who would bother to put five extra pounds of steel on their face and then rely on a quarter inch of leather over their cranium?

Although I like the heavy helmet, a lighter and tighter fitting helmet bowl would also look good with this config.  Try turning the one with the metal straps on the head into just a simple continuous curve - a relatively thin, and tighter fitting metal helmet.  That will make the lighter version usable as well.

This is a good face design.  We might as well get as much mileage as we can out of it.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2007, 05:57:09 am »
it reminds me a lot of some old Stefano's concepts, if I had them, I would post ;) I believe AW does have them...

Leather cap under the strips would make it functional, but still odd ... I mean, who would bother to put five extra pounds of steel on their face and then rely on a quarter inch of leather over their cranium?

uruks are smarter than orcs, but I think there are limits to being a smart orc when it comes to "looking vicious and cool" ;)

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2007, 06:11:16 am »
it reminds me a lot of some old Stefano's concepts, if I had them, I would post ;) I believe AW does have them...

uruks are smarter than orcs, but I think there are limits to being a smart orc when it comes to "looking vicious and cool" ;)

The difference between looking vicious and cool or looking like a trick-or-treat dork is whether or not you have huge holes in your armor.

I'm all for looking vicious and cool, even if it's a little impractical.  The general's helmets in ONR with the huge horns and massively oversize earguards, and the armored horse with the deer antlers, were both my doing.  But there is a limit at the point where any organism smart enough to put on armor would immediately recognize that the armor in question is either unusable or severely lacking for protective qualities.

Again, it's a good concept - but the straps need to be turned into a more helmet-bowl shape.  Beyond that, further variations are possible.  (A dozen spikes over the top come to mind.)

Ollieh

« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2007, 07:12:00 am »
I'm having problems with imageshack, pisses me off! Hope it works.
The new "light" one: Oops, forgot to cover the forehead  :-[ , will do tommorow! Done.

Both the heavy and light use the same texture and if the slightly lazy uv-mapping doesn't matter, I would be so happy to see something of mine in TLD one day!   :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 04:19:58 pm by Ollieh »

Offline Triglav

• Master
  • I'll bite your axe off!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2007, 09:20:20 am »
I hope Ursca won't mind using his texture...

I would encourage Ancient to make it official that as many existing TLD and Vanilla texture files as possible should be used for new items to reduce the overall texture load of the mod. Also  when textures (such as custom swords) that are needed do not exist on current texture files, they should be added to some empty space on some of them and mapped there. Dones't make sense to me to have a new set of textures for each sword or helmet added, when they all look roughly the same way.
"Of course, just by reading this forum you get a geek point. If you post you get a lifetime membership card.
If you contribute to the mod your praises are sung by the lords of dorkistan for an age and a half."
-Ancientwanker

Offline Kohlrabi

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2007, 11:39:37 am »
Couldn´t those open helmet be used for berserkers, since they don´t bother much about armour otherwise?

DaBlade

« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2007, 11:57:07 am »
Just a suggestion:

It's better to post the images in their actual size (unless they're huge), because imageshack is soooo slooooow... It's impossible to follow a link to the site, most of the times, at least for me...