login

Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 493876 times)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
Re: TLD: Help needed: Models, Voices & Miscellaneous Jobs
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2007, 09:49:37 am »
The Papist:

OK, some minor corrections:
- "u" is not pronounced like...hell, I can't find a good example :D like the word "you". More like double o in "mood", but shorter. Vowels in general I think are pronounced quite short and bright and sharp in khuzdul. And R is the russian sound "R", if you have the movies with you, you can check how some actors pronounce it right and some don't. For instance Frodo who is a hobbit with lesser knowledge ;) says Mordor like "mowdoh" where Gandalf and Saruman (both great voices and actors ;)) say  it right with a sharp and sound "R".
- generally, the second attempts are better. I like the second Thorin. The first is a bit hissy with the "Th".
- Lac is drefed is ok, old english huh. :)

- my problem with most of them: They're warcries, should be shouted out more. Still recognizable and understandable, but you could put more emotion and anger in them. Especially since they're dwarven. I know it's hard without a pro-mike, but I think here's it's a matter of practice. The second Thorin is almost there :)

edit: also if you have the extended versions, check out Gimli's "Ash Kaqwi Durugnul" in Lorien ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 09:52:06 am by Merlkir »
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

The Papist

« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2007, 10:11:36 am »
Gonna send you a few more, they're not shouted, just to see if the pronunciations are better.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2007, 10:59:25 am »
Gonna send you a few more, they're not shouted, just to see if the pronunciations are better.

ok, I don't know if I wrote it wrong :( it's off more than before :)

the R in Thorin is ok, but the "o" sounds like "u" should! :) Sounds like Turin. (which is bad.) The "o" is a normal short o as in "hot".
Khazad ai menu - the "a" in khazad is maybe too long, but that's not a big flaw. The "u" is still bad. menu is not actually pronounced as menu in a restaurant. As I said, the n is an n, not "ň" as in nubile. It's more like n in "no", the "u" is not "you", but more like shorter "oo" as in "noon".

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

The Papist

« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2007, 11:05:13 am »
maybe I'll stick to Rohan......
I think my southern accent is running interference

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2007, 11:10:04 am »

:) as you wish ;) your voice is not bad, don't give up..

DaBlade

« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2007, 04:16:40 pm »

I didn't hear what you've done before, but why not try Harad? ;)

The Papist

« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2007, 05:48:18 pm »
I'll do some stuff tomorrow morning in addition to sending you the stuff I've done today DaBlade.  Hope you don't mind some potentially horrible sounding wav and mp3 files :D

CoonDawg

« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2007, 05:48:11 pm »
I'd love to help. I can model, though I don't know the first thing about texturing. I can learn if you need me to, however.

A few questions:

What format do you need the files in? .obj?
What's the maximum triangles? I've read 200-300 in this thread, wasn't sure what the official wording on that was.

Can't wait for the .892 version of this mod. Sieges, pillaging (I'm assuming, anyway), Dwarves... Brings a tear to my eye ;)

Albino

« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2007, 05:57:47 pm »
What's the maximum triangles? I've read 200-300 in this thread, wasn't sure what the official wording on that was.

Depends on what you are making.

CoonDawg

« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2007, 06:59:50 pm »
Well, the question was more directed towards swords, but I'd like to know the numbers for Axes, helms, armor, etc.

What kind of buildings do you need? I know Edoras is already done.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:03:48 pm by CoonDawg »

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2007, 07:17:01 pm »
Swords arent really a priority at the moment.  Helmets Id say are my primary interest at the moment.

For a general helmet keep it around 300-500. Some go higher but they are then used on rarer troops. Reward helmets can go over 1000 but those are very rare.  If you are in the mood to try some helms I can get you some concepts to work on.

CoonDawg

« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2007, 07:35:33 pm »
Please and thank you.

What are the guidelines for helms? Like, is there some special thing I should know about before I start making them? In terms of using them in the mod, I mean. I'd hate to make it and find out it's impossible to be used in game because of some game technicality. How exactly is armor applied to characters?

And is there some MB head I can use as reference? For size and fit reasons.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 09:25:58 pm by CoonDawg »

Albino

« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2007, 10:03:15 pm »
Yeah just export the M&B head from brf edit.

CoonDawg

« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2007, 06:15:15 pm »
Do the objects (In my case a helmet) have to be closed? For example, can I do a plane extrusion then just create depth at the outer edges and tuck them inside the non-visible parts of the helmet? Or can there be no edges to the helmet at all? I know some programs/environments require the entire piece to be a single, enclosed object with no exposure.

Also, is there backface culling in M&B (That's what it's called in 3DS max anyway, in other words, the backs of the polygons are see-through)?

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2007, 06:29:04 pm »
I dont know much about modelling but you can have helms with no faces on the interior. This saves polys though you cant use them for display as youd see right through them.  We have some like that and some with fully modelled helm interior. Up to you.

The other question I cant answer.

Ill do some bughunting tommorrow and pass you some concepts.