login

Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 493981 times)

DaBlade

Re: TLD: Help needed: Models and Voices
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2007, 03:03:48 pm »
We would just need someone to model the palace, and we probably could make Edoras using existing props.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2007, 03:59:01 pm »
of course :) Wasn't there a Meduseld being made? I think it was...maybe the inside and I'm mixing it up..
I'm sure we could borrow those long houses from SR though. Aryndil is a fan of TLD after all, isn't he? :D ;)
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

doop

« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2007, 04:07:31 pm »
alright everybody, I'm not sure where to bring up the idea of me possibly helping this mod (I suppose this thread is logical)
I've had a bit of experience with modeling - no idea how to texture, however. there are always tutorials.. and I'm orienting myself with the modding section of the forum
I apologize if there's already been some talk on this here - I'm not really interested in reading through 50+ page threads!

I also have  a microphone and an active voice, if that is needed!

thanks

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2007, 04:22:56 pm »
alright everybody, I'm not sure where to bring up the idea of me possibly helping this mod (I suppose this thread is logical)
I've had a bit of experience with modeling - no idea how to texture, however. there are always tutorials.. and I'm orienting myself with the modding section of the forum
I apologize if there's already been some talk on this here - I'm not really interested in reading through 50+ page threads!

I also have  a microphone and an active voice, if that is needed!

thanks

this thread is only 11 pages..you could read that ;)
We indeed still have some war cries to be recorded if you think you can do it. Also you could try modeling some rohan houses. You should find descriptions of everything you need in this thread. If not, ask.

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Zenosknight

• Guildsman
  • Success is measured in blood; yours or the enemys
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

Okay, I think I'm done =3 I didn't color though, not too good at it ><!
There are three objects with 581 faces, though, I'm not sure if I turned every single shape into a triangle yet ><!
There might be a clip or two, but I didn't find any, so players shouldn't notice either.
Do you need it?  :green:

Btw, I want to help with the scenery, but I don't know how ><! Any links you guys know about that might teach me?

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2007, 01:42:28 am »
I wish Octoburn was here...maybe try to send him the model and see if he can clean it up a bit. It could be used. :)

For the sceneries...search for viking/saxon/rohan house pictures and photos and try to model some. The more the merrier. Actually assembling the scenes is the easier part..

Albino

« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2007, 05:48:16 pm »
For a helmet or sword there can only be one object.

Offline Zenosknight

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2007, 10:10:33 pm »
SNAAAHAAHAAAHAAAAP  :'(

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2007, 11:06:06 pm »
For a helmet or sword there can only be one object.

Not true.  The Japanese-type blades in Native are done as multiple objects with different material shaders on each part.  If you attempt to import a compound object .obj file into BRFEdit, it will give you the option of making it multiple objects.  It works fine.

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2007, 06:05:08 am »
I know that helmets can't be multi-meshed. It would have saved quite a bit of trouble with certain helmets.

That helmet is a nice job but it might be too complex for my tastes. Its one of those things you'd need to see textured to get a real feel for I think.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2007, 06:06:38 am »
I know that helmets can't be multi-meshed. It would have saved quite a bit of trouble with certain helmets.

I never tested it on a helmet ... I wasn't doing anything I needed multi-mesh anyway.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2007, 07:08:33 am »

That helmet is a nice job but it might be too complex for my tastes. Its one of those things you'd need to see textured to get a real feel for I think.

exactly, I still find it a bit too busy. Many of the lines could be reduced to a texture...

Offline Zenosknight

• Guildsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2007, 09:21:13 pm »
As I said before somewhere, I play M&B in the lowest quality possible, so everything I see is low res and I never have a good reference on a high res object xD
maybe I'll try again sometime  ???

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2007, 07:35:07 pm »
I've a general suggestion for the helm models, specifically the closed hemls like the one by Zeno here.
Not sure how good the result will be, but maybe it is worth a try.

Why not add few extra polygons in the helm aperture, where a glass screen for the eyes would be (inside the helm, in front of the face)?
These polygons would be colored (per vertex, or in the texture) with a black, but quite semitransparent color, so
that the part of the face that you see though the elm is darkened (in reality, by this "dark glass", but, seemingly, as if most of the light shedding on the face was screened by the elm).

Otherwise, the bits of ork (or human) face you see through the helm are always unnaturally bright. How does that much light get inside there?

For example, take this ork (screenshot by Ursca)

In this helm, the "glass visor" should be darker (i.e. less transparent) at the top, to blend down to fully transparent at the bottom.

This trick, admitting it looks decent, can be done only on closed enough elms, otherwise you risk seeing the glass visor from the side (which would look funny). If you try, don't forget to activate blending in the material properties.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:56:00 am by mtarini »