login

Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 493244 times)

Offline Triglav

• Master
  • I'll bite your axe off!
    • View Profile
Re: TLD: Help needed: Models and Voices
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2007, 04:00:55 am »
are you guys going to need different voices for the people of Lamedon and such? If so, what accent should they use?

They're hillbillies. I vote for hillbilly accent. 
"Of course, just by reading this forum you get a geek point. If you post you get a lifetime membership card.
If you contribute to the mod your praises are sung by the lords of dorkistan for an age and a half."
-Ancientwanker

Lorodim

« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2007, 08:14:35 am »
who the hell are thse hillbelies?

DarthLlama226

« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2007, 12:40:22 pm »
Pinnath Gelin auxilla, blackroot vale, lamedon auxilla and the lossanarch people are the people I was talking about. When I see clansman of Lamedon, all I can think of is Scots. No ideas for the other people. Perhaps you can get your wish of a hill-billy accent for one of them Trig.

DaBlade

« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2007, 02:16:53 pm »
Feel free to PM me any time if you want to contribute with sounds/voices.

bryce

« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2007, 02:18:01 pm »
are you guys going to need different voices for the people of Lamedon and such? If so, what accent should they use?

They're hillbillies. I vote for hillbilly accent. 

Most hillbilles are scottish.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Lorodim

« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2007, 03:38:13 am »
Hah!hope we don't have scots in the mbx :D

Offline Triglav

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2007, 01:41:20 pm »
When I see clansman of Lamedon, all I can think of is Scots.

Really?
Why not Moldavians?
"Of course, just by reading this forum you get a geek point. If you post you get a lifetime membership card.
If you contribute to the mod your praises are sung by the lords of dorkistan for an age and a half."
-Ancientwanker

DarthLlama226

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2007, 06:45:59 pm »
Because I just watched Braveheart again.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2007, 07:53:17 pm »
When I see clansman of Lamedon, all I can think of is Scots.

Really?
Why not Moldavians?

Um ... most of the world couldn't identify a Moldavian.  It's one of those "From where?" places.

The Uygur people of Xinjiang are the same deal in China.  That's "the sticks" in China, but not a place most people know anything about.

However, since the mod is in English, I would guess that the accent for backwater places should come from English-speaking backwater places ... and that pretty much leaves Scotland or Tennessee.

Offline Triglav

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2007, 04:26:02 am »
Well, these aren't really my serious suggestions, just gripes I have with stereotypization, and since I've got a hangover today I'm just in a mood for a bit of complaining.

Um ... most of the world couldn't identify a Moldavian.  It's one of those "From where?" places.
The Uygur people of Xinjiang are the same deal in China.  That's "the sticks" in China, but not a place most people know anything about.

My point exactly. And it's exactly cause people don't know much, that most popular culture items today are such cliché bonanzas.

However, since the mod is in English, I would guess that the accent for backwater places should come from English-speaking backwater places

Noone had much of a problem in suggesting Easterlings some Eastern-European English accent and the Haradrim some Arabic English accent (again terribly cliché). Thus why not give Lamedonians a Nepalese or Tibetan or Swiss or Armenian or Norwegian or Peruvian English accent (being that they're all in the mountains as well)?

... and that pretty much leaves Scotland or Tennessee.

I'm definitely for Tennessee in that case.
Nothing against the Scots, mind you, they just got too much attention in computer games since Braveheart.
Heck if Mel Gibson made a spectacular movie about the historically much more important battle of Kosovo Polje in 1389 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kosovo), between the Serbs and the Turks, which had important consequences for southern and central Europe for centuries, I'm certain we'd be seeing the Serbs as a playable faction in several medieval games that feature Scots now, and we'd have another reference for a rugged fighting nation to be used in mods like this one...

With a little googling history of all nations is available to people, so why is it that they're so eager to resort to the typical stereotype suggested by your average entertainment industry product...?
-Ancientwanker

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2007, 05:57:53 am »
With the memory of Milslovic's genocides fresh on a lot of people's minds and Muslim terrorism being all over the news, I don't think a movie featuring a battle between the Serbs and the Muslims would go over too well right now.  It would set about like if "Enemy at the Gates" had been released in the States during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Seriously, if you're worried about overused stereotypes, Tennessee as an example of potentially violent backwater places is probably overused too.  Everybody remember "Deliverance"?

Fact is, it would be hard to find too many regional characteristics of any area that have not been over-used in entertainment by someone.  Plus, it's easy to go with the places you know the most about.  Most of the historical M&B mods are falling into this pattern as well - ONR doing Japan, HW the Crusades, and Mesoamerica the Aztecs, because those are the best-known examples of each of their areas.  There are not major mods based around fighting in India, Malaysia, or Argentina, because everybody's reaction would be "Where?"   For that mater, and relevant to TLD, Tolkien used the most common perceptions of ancient warfare as well ... European weapons and equipment of about the time of the Crusades.

When we get custom skeletons working in the next M&B version, it might be fun to try to break this pattern and do something less well-known ... say, Medo-Persian Empire, featuring chariots and war elephants.  Something that would break from the common patterns, behaviors, and equipment profiles and get people into a very different mindset - equally diverse, but logically different.

Until then ... well, I guess we live with the stereotypes.  If you can't fight them, join them.

Lanky

« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2007, 01:02:34 am »
I think that sticking with accents from the British isles is a good idea, considering Tolkien wrote the books with a sort of lamentation for a lack of real English mythology. Something like a Scottish  or Irish accent seems rather appropriate to me.

Stemmers?

« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2007, 08:57:25 pm »
I think that sticking with accents from the British isles is a good idea, considering Tolkien wrote the books with a sort of lamentation for a lack of real English mythology. Something like a Scottish  or Irish accent seems rather appropriate to me.

Seconded. Orcs can have American accents.  >:D

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2007, 12:58:06 am »

Seconded. Orcs can have American accents.  >:D

That could create a logical error.  The orcs are far better trained, equipped, and organized than I would expect from a bunch of Americans.   ::)

(And I was born there ...)

(But I didn't have to stay....)