Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 493992 times)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
Re: TLD: Help needed
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2007, 12:20:32 pm »
For Rohan villages, use longhouses. Viking, anglo saxon stuff..See what you can find.

And I apologize for being useless, but after trying to sketch Moria, it turned to be a totally differend kind of picture ;)
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
Re: TLD: voices needed
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2007, 12:11:37 pm »
Not only warcries!

It would be cool to have "greeting sentences": concise sentences, uttered by the speakers, you would hear on meeting a group on the map.

You know how in the native version (at least, a few versions ago) when you met, say, pirates, they would say "Your money... or your life!"?
The text you read in the dialog box was different (quite longer and more detailed), but that quick spoken sentence you heard gave away the general sense of the situation in a very immediate way. Plus, it gave a thrill (especially when they catched you and you hoped otherwise).
I liked it.

For example, we could hear sentences like...

as an orc meeting:
- fellow orcs:
   "What, maggot?" "What?"  "You still around?"
- enemy men
  "Now you pay for your deeds!"  "Away from our Land!" "Foul creatures!"  "Gondor (Rohan) shall prevail!" ... others?
- enemy men supply/prisoner trains (and agents)
  "Back off!" "Back off, monster!"
- elves:
  "This is where it ends", "<usual incomprehensible elven gibberish>" ... others?
- farmers:
  "Mercy!" (by the way farmers should sound more terrified and less bold and aggressive in the dialog text as well)

as a free man meeting:
- allied armed group:
  "Hail!", "Greetings!", "Hooo! <or however you spell the sound you make to stop your horse, this for mounted allies>"
- elves
  "Dawn will come again", "<other elven gibberish>"
- orks:
  "Pray for death!", "I'll feast on your bones!", "Submit to Mordor!" (to Saruman), "We are the doom of men!" "Men are weak!" "Man meat! Good!"
   "I'll drink your blood!", "You are all doomed!" (probably this is too many variants already)
- orks supply/prisoner trains (and agents)
  "Back off, rat!"

Just attempts, better sentences (and more specific to every faction or sub-faction) can surely be found.
The important thing is that they are very short (otherwise they quickly sound too repetitive) and communicate the situation effectively.

Ideally, sentences for hostile encounters should have more variants, as you are going to hear them a lot more often.

Admittedly this is a multiplication of the "voice needed" effort. Possible to do?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:35:08 pm by mtarini »

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2007, 03:06:39 pm »
Yeah, there are some good ideas there. Dablade has been pushing for non-battle voices as well.  Maybe after we get the dunnish/eastering/harad polished off we can try to get some phrases put together.  Its incredibly hard to get voice people though.

Sunhawken

« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2007, 03:11:37 am »
What does a dunnish sound like?

heavens_hitman

Re: TLD: Help needed: Models and Voices
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2007, 06:04:49 pm »
i willmake some shields, just tell me the name of em or describe in pm.

RickiusMaximus

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2007, 09:22:08 am »
Is there still any requirement for Harad or Easterling voices? I have a friend who lives in Saudi Arabia- he could well be perfect for the bill!

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2007, 09:30:23 am »
Is there still any requirement for Harad or Easterling voices? I have a friend who lives in Saudi Arabia- he could well be perfect for the bill!

there sure is ;)

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

DaBlade

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2007, 11:01:48 am »

If he could record some stuff for us I'd be glad to hear it.

Keinonen

« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2007, 09:40:00 am »
I could do elven voices; I hail from Finland and after all Tolkien did imply Finnish phonetics into the elven language. My accent might come in handy.

I have an external microphone for camcorder(AZDEN ECZ-990) which I think is by all means proper for this type of soundrecording.

I could deliver a voice sample and also do other voices if needed. You ppl pm me if yo're interested, yes? 'Cause I am already.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2007, 11:02:01 am »
I could do elven voices; I hail from Finland and after all Tolkien did imply Finnish phonetics into the elven language. My accent might come in handy.

I have an external microphone for camcorder(AZDEN ECZ-990) which I think is by all means proper for this type of soundrecording.

I could deliver a voice sample and also do other voices if needed. You ppl pm me if yo're interested, yes? 'Cause I am already.

jeez, don't ask for permission  :) just make the samples and we'll see.

Please do. :)

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2007, 11:06:55 am »
Yeah, make some samples and send them to dablade.  There are some ideas on the first page or you could look at this link for elven phrase ideas:

We can always use a range of voices so even if a faction seems to have a few, anyone who thinks they might make good ones is welcome to give it a shot.

http://www.realelvish.net/sindarinphrasebook.php

Lorodim

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2007, 05:47:28 pm »
@Jakkaru Your talking about Cair Andros

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2007, 07:52:24 pm »
We've had some volunteers here lately but Dablade still has yet to get any new samples. Feel free to send him some if anyone is still interested.

In case anyone wants to try their hand at dwarvish war cries:
http://www.delving.com/helge.html
http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/khuzdul.htm

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!    ---Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you! (canon one)
Khazâd ai-mênu!                        ---The Dwarves are upon you!
Sigin-tarâg ai-mênu!                   ---The long beards are upon you!
Rukhs!                                     ---Orcs!
Uzbad Mahal                             ---Lord Aule

Yeah, and famous Iron Hills dwarf names as merlkir pointed out below:
Dain!
Thorin!
Gror!
Náin!

Or maybe variants with Uzbad as a prefix as that's the word for Lord.

Uzbad Dain
Uzbad Thorin
Uzbad Gror
Uzbad Nain

Not as fleshed out as the elvish with only about 30 known words so youll probably have to get creative for more. Might be a good to stick with gruff and accented english for any additional ones and just use these as the core pure dwarvish cries to build on.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 01:12:13 pm by Ancientwanker »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2007, 08:39:51 pm »
or you could try names, hm? Thoriiiiiin!!! Daaaaiiiin!! :) and so..

DarthLlama226

« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2007, 09:48:21 pm »
Once I have the time tomorrow, I'd be happy to record some voices. I'll try my hand at some of the meeting voices. I'm not certain if I can imitate battle cries. I do have a question though: are you guys going to need different voices for the people of Lamedon and such? If so, what accent should they use?