Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 493948 times)

bryce

Re: TLD: voices needed
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2007, 02:22:45 pm »
It's better not to put words in the PC's mouth unless you are going to go with full voice acting. You'd also need difference voices for each sex and faction...and even if you found people to do it and they were good, it would take a lot of space.

I see what you mean, but some feedback should be present I think.  It wouldn't have to be a voice of course, but in the thick of a battle, getting shot at and fending off blows it's tough to glance over to the text display to see what orders you're fumbling with.  Or maybe I just suck at it.  At any rate you've got a solid point, as much as I'd like voices.

I'd suggest maybe using a different animation for each, if possible.  e.g. ranks formation is the current left-slash, lines could be right-slash...I don't know what would really work though to be honest.

I think you can do that in next version. Sounds pretty good. I don't use the formation stuff anyhow, but it would be pretty need to see.

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2007, 02:28:38 pm »
Im not sure whats being discussed here, there are already voice commands for the pc when he issues orders. One set for men, one for elves, and one for orcs. Am I missing something?

The animation is already there for the execution animation when orders go out.  Wouldnt be hard to make a unique one for each order but Im not in the mood to jiggle with that routine atm.

bryce

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2007, 02:29:26 pm »

Man, I want the dunnish to shout: "Kill the strawheads!!!" :)  (maybe it's time to pull out the mike and give my terrible acting another chance ;))

Me too.

I put it out there but it didn't get picked up. I thought  I had a few good ones for every faction, but the couple I actually know were from me sucked compared to the other voices oit there. Oh well, I tried I guess.

DaBlade

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2007, 02:54:08 pm »
We still need good Dunlending voices, if anyone is willing to make them. ;)

Bryce, I think most of your voices lack intesity, they don't sound like you were in a battle (IMHO). But that doesn't mean you can't make them if you're willing to work on it. ;) And we're using some of the stuff you made in the current version.

bryce

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2007, 04:24:48 pm »
We still need good Dunlending voices, if anyone is willing to make them. ;)

Bryce, I think most of your voices lack intesity, they don't sound like you were in a battle (IMHO). But that doesn't mean you can't make them if you're willing to work on it. ;) And we're using some of the stuff you made in the current version.

For some reason the mic seems to filter my voice. It sounds way too 'clean' on the recording. I think something funny is going on.

Maybe I will give it another shot at some point and instead of trying to do various voice just go for raw and intense. I sent over uncut stuff so I apologize you had to wade through a ton of crap. Next time I will prune it out more.

Elara

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2007, 05:09:22 pm »
Possibly stupid question since I don't see any females in battle...but do you need women's voices?

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2007, 06:48:13 pm »
Absolutely. We could use female order commands for the player. They currently say nothing when orders are issued.

Human and Elf if possible.  For the human just repeat what the male voice says or something like it. For the elf you would probably need a copy of the elvish saying.  If you get a chance do some samples for the human orders and send them to dablade.  If those work out, Ill dig up the old elvish phrases we gave to David Carlson.

Thanks.

Jakkaru

Re: TLD: Help needed
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2007, 05:21:04 pm »
I made this model of Hornburg the other day (i was bored)

just if anyone could find it useful  ::)  (It isn't, actually, ready yet, but almost)

Will we be able to walk on teh glorious Deeping Wall?
I don't know about the current helm's deep, but I made mine so that player can walk around a bit

I'm also working on some dwarven stuff, here's prewiev:  (that helmet is quickly made :( , it will belong to a dwarf statue )

EDIT: Here's the statue

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:30:44 pm by Jakkaru »

Sunhawken

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2007, 12:41:55 am »
But aren't all the  dwarvens dead? Except for that dwarven  guy  in the movie?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 06:53:37 am by Sunhawken »

Irenicuz

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2007, 02:06:16 am »
But aren't all the  dwarvens dead? Except for that dwarven  guy  in he movie?

Nope. The Moria dwarfs/dwarves are dead. The leader of moria dwarfs left others to return to moria. Gimli and his father (i think) Gloin (the old whitebearded dwarf seen in rivendell (the movie)) were representatives of other dwarfs.

Sry for offtopic by the way, and  i am not sure about details.

DaBlade

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2007, 05:33:26 am »
Hey Irenicuz, those look good.

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2007, 07:07:45 am »
yeah, nice, I like the statue a lot.
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2007, 07:52:55 am »
About elven voices: I don't fully understand what is meant by the posts about them (after mine).
Can anyone kindly spell it out for me?

- did they change from 2.2.1 to 2.3.x? (I guess not, but I cannot check this out myself before another week)

- AW awarded to David Carlson, who made most (all?) voices - including elves - for 2.2.1 a well deserved "god" status;
  true, his performance as a voice recorder and actor are amazingly professional and inspired.
  But, does this mean that current elven voices are not  perceived as being too rude, guttural, "barbaric" or otherwise unfit for elves?
  ((but, when I suggested that the elves should probably sound different, by no mean I intended criticizing David's great work!
  Beside: as noticed already, variety in voices is a very good thing, and useful game-wise too.))

- Did Napoletano try it out, or even, does he know that we are discussing this?

Yeah, we can always use more variety, I agree. I think most of the David Carlson stuff is in 2.3 and not 2.2.1 though.  Some elves are buzvonlurt, some are davide carlson. The elven formation orders voice is Carlson.  Unfortunately, voice contributors are a pretty rare commodity.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:16:07 pm by Ancientwanker »

DaBlade

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2007, 02:14:16 pm »
I haven't heard from Napoletano lately, I have no idea if he checks the forum.

I don't think the current elven voices are too rude, guttural or barbaric, but I guess that depends on what you think elves should sound like.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:17:54 pm by DaBlade »

Apex

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2007, 02:50:52 pm »
Hope I'm not too late to the party.  It turns out the headset I've been using for general voice chat has absolutely terrible recording quality, so I bought myself a cheap but effective clip-on mic to record with.  I'd be more than happy to do what I can.

I'd likely be best suited for general Gondor voices, possibly Rohan as well.  I'd love to do character voices if that becomes a possibility in the future for spoken dialog, but until then DaBlade has me assigned to Nazgul warning cries :)  Along those lines I could do encounter voices if you don't have any/too many of those available.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help out with.  I can mix up sound effects, horn calls and the like as well...though they seem to be well stocked as it is.

Edit:  I like the sound of merchant voiceovers...that should give me something to do while I'm stuck indoors.  I plan to take my laptop and microphone out in the forest to do some recording tomorrow (or sometime this week at any rate), but until then I think it best not to incur the wrath of the rest of the house with my wailing :)  I've started jotting down and recording merchant parts, and some of them are quite humorous (though it's debatable whether it's the material or my voice causing it...).  Any need for general ambiance or things I could record in a forest?  Wood cracking, walking through leaves and brush, stuff like that?  If I'm going to do it I might as well go all-out.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 05:09:52 pm by Apex »