login

Author Topic: (old) TLD Help needed: Models and Voices  (Read 406274 times)

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
Re: TLD: Help needed
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 04:42:16 AM »
well, the battle of Helm's Deep I would definitely want to play one day. Or the battle of Pelennor fields. I would. And I think it is doable..to some extent. But I think custom battles won't come until the next MaB version is out (cause it should have some support for it.) Either I would like to see those battles as Historical battles (thinking RTW), or incorporated in the main part of the mod and somehow scripted in the new war system..

edit: yup, Blade's right. Move to suggestion or something, guys. :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 05:15:43 AM by Merlkir »
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

DaBlade

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 04:46:47 AM »
Guys, if you're not offering to help developing this mod in some way, please don't post here. If everybody starts posting their questions and discussing the mod here, we may miss help offers from potential contributers.

Thanks.

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
Re: TLD: voices needed
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 09:46:26 AM »
Is it just me, or Gondorians shout "Faramir" a lot, and never "Boromir" (TLD 2.3.1)?

BTW: if possible, "Boromir" should be used quite more frequently than "Faramir", right?

At least in the previous versions (2.2) elves shout with low, guttural voices. The performance itself is great, but very savage souding, very mannish.
That puzzles me.

[dwarven_partisian_mode:begin]
We all known elves are pussies and quite possibly gay and should all sound like little well-behaved ladies.
[dwarven_partisian_mode:end]

No, seriously, I can't picture in my mind how on (middle) earth an elf should sound like.
Sure, their voices are probably described as melodic, musical, clear sounding, handsome, elegant, but... in a battlefield? Even worse: what is the sound of an elf dieing, or in pain?

"Oh noes! My haircut!"?

Any ideas? I don't have a clue.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:57:23 AM by mtarini »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 09:53:45 AM »
I would say...like a singer. You know, a manly one, who has a strong, yet melodic and pleasant voice.

(my elves are squeeking like squirrels, but DaBlade thinks it's caused by the sound variation option..)

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

bryce

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 10:13:33 AM »
Is it just me, or Gondorians shout "Faramir" a lot, and never "Boromir" (TLD 2.3.1)?

BTW: if possible, "Boromir" should be used quite more frequently than "Faramir", right?

At least in the previous versions (2.2) elves shout with low, guttural voices. The performance itself is great, but very savage souding, very mannish.
That puzzles me.

We all known elves are pussies and quite possibly gay and should all sound like little well-behaved ladies.

No, seriously, I can't picture in my mind how on (middle) earth an elf should sound like.
Sure, their voices are probably described as melodic, musical, clear sounding, handsome, elegant, but... in a battlefield? Even worse: what is the sound of an elf dieing, or in pain?

"Oh noes! My haircut!"?

Any ideas? I don't have a clue.

I agree that some of the elf voices sound out of character.

The dave carlson or whatever guy has an amazing voice (I probably would never have submitted anything if he had had his voice out there back when I did, because it's embarassing to hear my voice after hearing his great stuff) but he sounds kinda like some scotch drinking 70s rockstar or something.

It also gets a little weird because in most battles both sides are using his same voice.

Maybe someone with a good elven voice (that isn't gay, but is much more refined) will come along. Shouting those elven words seemed incredibly difficult to me. Most of them just don't make good warcries, I think. I was surprised that anyone was able to make them sound like them at all, so I think there is a skill to that aspect of it in addition to having a good voice for it.

bryce

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 10:42:59 AM »
Well, I think I might work on some scenes a bit tonight- just arranging them, not modeling anything. Mostly I get tired of not being able to figure out what merchant in the camps does what, so maybe I can figure out a way to change that.

I figure put some crates with a few weapons on top for the weapons sellers, similar for the armor guys. Always put the tavern guys buy a fire and/or a tent, and put the general goods guy by a wagon with a horse next to it or some meat and stuff.

I woud change all the text by faction too since the native stuff is lame even in its own right let alone for orcs and such, but of course I don't have the source.

Offline mtarini

• Administrator
  • TLD dev team
    • View Profile
    • (home)
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »
bryce and merlkir: I agree...

I would say...like a singer. You know, a manly one, who has a strong, yet melodic and pleasant voice.

Maybe Napoletano (the Italian-Brasilian singer radio-speaker that posted earlier) can give it a try?
(Italian, Brasilian, male, singer. There *might* be quite a match with what you say. Just might.)

Napoletano?

(still, how does a distressed elf dies or suffers? Maybe just silently? Or whispering some conincise wisdom? or whispering? Grunts or death-rattles seem out of place, but what to use instead?).

DaBlade

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 12:41:20 PM »
I love the voices David Carlson made for the elves, although I didn't dislike some of the previous ones. Napoletano sent me some (Dunlending?) voices, but I thought he didn't have the right kind of voice for them. I would be happy to hear some elven voices from him, I think we could allways add some variety.

Merlkir, you mean you didn't try it with sound variation off yet? :P What are you waiting for?

Offline Ancientwanker

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 12:51:38 PM »
David Carlson is a god. He's one of the guys you want to chain in the basement to make a mod. He made up many of those phrases as well..

My favorite is, "The storm and the sea demon!!!".

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 12:55:21 PM »
I've never heard that one! :D or I haven't noticed.

Man, I want the dunnish to shout: "Kill the strawheads!!!" :)  (maybe it's time to pull out the mike and give my terrible acting another chance ;))

Apex

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2007, 01:26:54 PM »
I finally got my proper microphone back from a buddy I loaned it out to, so I'll be able to try some stuff out in the next couple days.  I whipped up a horn sound and send it over to DaBlade, though it seems horns are somewhat of an abundance...

Merlkir, what kind of accent are you thinking of for the Dunlanders?  I have it in my head that they're a strong barbarian, maybe Gaul-like sort but I'm not quite sure what they should really sound like.  At any rate I'll do some various neutral sounding stuff, some of the things DaBlade suggested and see about writing up some lines as well.  I know I can write pretty well...but as for voice acting, we'll see :)

Try either some kind of gutteral barbaric sound like gaul or maybe a gaelic thing. Send any samples you do to dablade, he coordinates all the sounds. Thanks. -aw
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 06:56:02 PM by Ancientwanker »

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
yeah, I thought of a "barbaric" accent like they use in RTW...;)

I would personally love for all the formations orders to be shouted out. So far there are three of five? or maybe four..

Apex

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 01:57:12 PM »

I would personally love for all the formations orders to be shouted out. So far there are three of five? or maybe four..

Yeah I'd like the orders to all be voiced as well, though it'd be even better if I could figure out how to consistently use the formations correctly...  :-[

I could do order voices I think, but I'll have to test how my microphone holds up to being yelled at.  I might hurt its feelings.

bryce

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 02:03:59 PM »

It's better not to put words in the PC's mouth unless you are going to go with full voice acting. You'd also need difference voices for each sex and faction...and even if you found people to do it and they were good, it would take a lot of space.

Apex

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 02:12:11 PM »
It's better not to put words in the PC's mouth unless you are going to go with full voice acting. You'd also need difference voices for each sex and faction...and even if you found people to do it and they were good, it would take a lot of space.

I see what you mean, but some feedback should be present I think.  It wouldn't have to be a voice of course, but in the thick of a battle, getting shot at and fending off blows it's tough to glance over to the text display to see what orders you're fumbling with.  Or maybe I just suck at it.  At any rate you've got a solid point, as much as I'd like voices.

I'd suggest maybe using a different animation for each, if possible.  e.g. ranks formation is the current left-slash, lines could be right-slash...I don't know what would really work though to be honest.