Author Topic: Catapults  (Read 34572 times)

Offline KON_Air

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Catapults
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 08:14:59 PM »
I don't mean to be an ass but the replace_scene prop is intended only to be used with sieges, to replace battlement. I mean it only works with ti_before_mission... and the spawn_prop is just sitting there commented out for few versions, I doubt we will ever see it used...

Only if could stop farming Hell and Angels Gate in Hellgate London...

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 10:56:20 AM »
Could someone explain to me how I might be able to make troop which looks like a horse, uses the same skeleton, and shares the same hitbox? I've been messing with the skins, but all I can get is a game crash upon entering any scene with that troop type.

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 10:58:43 AM »
Could someone explain to me how I might be able to make troop which looks like a horse, uses the same skeleton, and shares the same hitbox? I've been messing with the skins, but all I can get is a game crash upon entering any scene with that troop type.

You can't, unfortunately. It's impossible.

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 12:12:08 PM »

You can use the horse skeleton, which forces it to use to horse hit box, so why shouldn't you be able to?

And by the way, about the Greek fire thing- It's possible without using scene props at all. I've been playing around with particle systems these past few days, and they can now be fired off via a script, with no scene props or other agents of emission involved, and there is no limit to how many can be spawned. Check out the particle system commands for the new version. They're incredible.

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 01:16:06 PM »
Pardon the double post, but

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 02:47:34 PM »
You can use the horse skeleton, which forces it to use to horse hit box, so why shouldn't you be able to?

You can't force it to use the horse skeleton scriptwise, I believe that's causing your crash. Also, troop agents have always had different hitboxes from horse agents regardless of their skeleton. It's hardcoded and as far as I'm aware hasn't changed.

Pardon the double post, but

Seriously, I'd consider restarting work on Storymod if you joined up.

Highlander

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 03:01:45 PM »

The problem is, that the horse has different animations and "actions". For example: There is no animation for firing a crossbow and stuff.

Is this catapult really better than a scene prop as a projectile?
I have two questions:
Have you tried out, if agent position is moving together with the ragdol? I noticed that the game cam doesn't move on if your body falls down a wall or something.
The other thing is, can you actually target this catapult, so it fires at a certain position (or at least near the position)?

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 03:14:49 PM »
The problem is, that the horse has different animations and "actions". For example: There is no animation for firing a crossbow and stuff.
The only animation it needs for this is a death animation, which it has.

Is this catapult really better than a scene prop as a projectile?
Less than a dozen lines of code, run once, and with physical realism is definitely better than several dozen lines of code, fired several times a second, and without physical realism.

Have you tried out, if agent position is moving together with the ragdol? I noticed that the game cam doesn't move on if your body falls down a wall or something.
The other thing is, can you actually target this catapult, so it fires at a certain position (or at least near the position)?
1. Yes. That's how I got the fire to follow the corpse in the above screenie.
2. To an extent, yes. I could easily make the trajectory lower or higher or rotate the base of the catapult. It wouldn't really work with a targeting reticle, but would rather be more the way a real catapult would be aimed; largely by trial and error.

Seriously, I'd consider restarting work on Storymod if you joined up.
I'll tell you what. Most of my modding consists of little gimmicky things like this. Once I've got this working right, I'll be coding a new ai for my ship combat that will allow ramming. Once I've done that, I'll make your men actually carry the ladders to the wall. Once that's done I'll be working on making explosions that actually explode. (those killed by it are blasted aside) After that I may try to make a mod which consists entirely of mission templates, where the player would never have to deal with a menu or the overland map. I've got an idea for a moving wedge formation for cavalry. All of these codes will be released to the public. If you have some gimmicky codes in mind for storymod, tell me, and I'll see if I can't figure out a way to make them work. I'll gladly join up with the storymod dev team, but I'm way to ADD to work on things like making 9856132 different siege scenes. Things like making assassination mission templates and catapults and ship combat I can do, though. Just let me know if you need something along those lines done.

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 03:59:41 PM »
I'll tell you what. Most of my modding consists of little gimmicky things like this. Once I've got this working right, I'll be coding a new ai for my ship combat that will allow ramming. Once I've done that, I'll make your men actually carry the ladders to the wall. Once that's done I'll be working on making explosions that actually explode. (those killed by it are blasted aside) After that I may try to make a mod which consists entirely of mission templates, where the player would never have to deal with a menu or the overland map. I've got an idea for a moving wedge formation for cavalry. All of these codes will be released to the public. If you have some gimmicky codes in mind for storymod, tell me, and I'll see if I can't figure out a way to make them work. I'll gladly join up with the storymod dev team, but I'm way to ADD to work on things like making 9856132 different siege scenes. Things like making assassination mission templates and catapults and ship combat I can do, though. Just let me know if you need something along those lines done.

Among other things, I would certainly have you crafting plenty of siege scenes, which are one of the things I will be needing a lot, and you can include all the gimmicks you want so long as they work. ;)

I personally loathe coding mission templates and placing props, so someone creating assassinations and sieges and stuff like that would be an extremely valuable addition to the team.

As for your moving wedge formation, I've already got code to calculate a wedge for any kind of agent you like, as well as square, line and circle. The code may be a little outdated and contain some mistakes (I'm not good at maths) but could probably come in handy. Be happy to send it to you. Perhaps you could turn it into a full formation system for me. ;)

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 04:54:08 PM »
assassinations
You know, I think that'll be my next little project.

As for your moving wedge formation, I've already got code to calculate a wedge for any kind of agent you like, as well as square, line and circle. The code may be a little outdated and contain some mistakes (I'm not good at maths) but could probably come in handy. Be happy to send it to you. Perhaps you could turn it into a full formation system for me. ;)
I have a set of codes for the exact same thing, but I'd love to see yours. I'll gladly create a full formation system.

Count me in.

Offline Fisheye

• Blues Brother
  • My scalp's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »
You've probably already tried this: maybe you could spawn the troop (mounted), kill the troop, and leave the horse?

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2007, 06:23:23 PM »
You've probably already tried this: maybe you could spawn the troop (mounted), kill the troop, and leave the horse?
The dead one is the one which will be catapulted. I have to kill the horse either way. That may work, though, given the agent_get_horse_command. Thanks for the idea, I'll try it out.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2007, 06:45:22 PM »
Are the horses affected by the ragdoll physics?

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »
Yes, they are. I've got it working. It turns out my only error with the horses was that I used spawn_item instead of spawn_horse. Now I have a new problem, though. The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched. I'm not sure how to deal with this, except that I'm pretty sure making a different catapult model ought to take care of it.

Offline fujiwara

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2007, 09:19:33 AM »
The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

:shock:  :lol: This is sig fodder, friends!

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.