Author Topic: Catapults  (Read 41295 times)

Grodsgenhaigen

Re: Catapults
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 04:27:10 PM »
Don't even need to spawn. There is a scene prop replace operation, and it wouldn't be to difficult to replace an invisible scene prop.

The problem with that, though, is that you'd have to place all the ammunition props beforehand (ugly hack) and would therefore only have a finite amount of ammunition.
Given that they can be placed anywhere and will be invisible till replacement, I doubt that that would be much of a problem, though I'll concede that spawning would be far handier.

You also need to make the catapult aimable, like if you whack it a bit on the right wheel it rotates to the right, and so on. And also something to control power.
Good idea. Incredibly simple to code and vastly beneficial. It will be one of the first things I do with it this weekend.

Perhaps we should suggest to Armagan that the next module system version might have the ability to kick in ragdoll effects for a scene prop, perhaps for a limited time or on a triggered basis only.  Even better, let it have an initial vector we supply. Tremendous potential.
I actually posted that very suggestion in the "Module system wish list" thread over on taleworlds.

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 08:21:17 PM »
Given that they can be placed anywhere and will be invisible till replacement, I doubt that that would be much of a problem, though I'll concede that spawning would be far handier.

Yeah, that's the only point I was making.

You also need to make the catapult aimable, like if you whack it a bit on the right wheel it rotates to the right, and so on. And also something to control power.
Good idea. Incredibly simple to code and vastly beneficial. It will be one of the first things I do with it this weekend.

Say, Grodsgenhaigen, have I offered you a position on the Storymod team yet? We could use someone like you, particularly to make up some nice siege scenes (although there's plenty of other stuff to do if you prefer).

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 08:25:51 PM »

Say, Grodsgenhaigen, have I offered you a position on the Storymod team yet? We could use someone like you, particularly to make up some nice siege scenes (although there's plenty of other stuff to do if you prefer).
No. In fact, when I last offered my services (with the early stages of my ship combat code) you actually rejected me.  :lol:

Anyway, I will gladly accept this offer. Don't expect too much, though, as I have too much homework to afford the time spent on m+b modding on school nights. I swear...every time I touch the module system it turns into a four-hour modding Odyssey.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 05:24:26 AM by Grodsgenhaigen »

grailknighthero

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 10:04:56 PM »
Anyway, I will gladly accept this offer. Don't expect too much, though, as I have too much homework to afford the time spent on m+b modding on school nights. I swear...every time I touch the module system it turns into a four-hour modding Odyssey.

Tell me about it....If only professors would understand we have better things to do than what they assign :D

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 10:16:41 PM »

Tell me about it....If only professors would understand we have better things to do than what they assign :D

Don't be too hard on the profs ... some of us take it personally.  (Me, mtarini, how many other university instructors do we have around here?  More than a few, I bet.)

--------------------------
Winter:  You turned down this guy's help first round?  Bad call.  Never turn down help.  80% of the major mods around here would have NEVER got off the ground if any offer of help had been turned down.

grailknighthero

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 10:59:33 PM »

Don't be too hard on the profs ... some of us take it personally.  (Me, mtarini, how many other university instructors do we have around here?  More than a few, I bet.)
Sorry :-[...But cant you tell my professors that they should give M&B modding homework instead, at least my programming professors?  Cause this makes no sense to me.  I think my professor explained it well enough but to me and the rest of the people in my class this seems like an alien language:
Code: [Select]
$(PROGRAM) : $(OBJS)
        $(LD) $(LDFLAGS) $^ $(LIBS) -o $@

-include $(OBJS:.o:=.d)

%.d : %.c
        set -e; $(C) -MM $(CFLAGS) $< \
                | sed 's/\($*\)\.o[ :]*/\1.o $@ : /g' > $@; \
                [ -s $@ ] || rm -f $@

%.o : %.c
        $(COMPILE) $< -o $@

Are you guys talking about hitting it with like a sword or something?  I cant even imagine how you would code that.  I am continually impressed by what people accomplish with this game.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 11:03:34 PM by grailknighthero »

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 11:04:40 PM »
Don't know anything about programming ... I teach Western Civ.

Presumably the "whack the catapult" would be a "use" command.  It would look stupid beating on it with a knife or something.

Highlander had some good code for wheeled chassis weapons that can be aimed.  It was designed for cannon and Gatling guns, but might do catapults as well.  It was kind of "look down the barrel and fire", so it might not be the desired feel for a trebuchet.

Offline fujiwara

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 12:08:28 AM »

[ -s $@ ] || rm -f $@

$(COMPILE) $< -o $@

what is that, Perl? Why are they teaching Perl? There are SO MANY better languages out there than Perl

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 05:27:12 AM »
Are you guys talking about hitting it with like a sword or something?  I cant even imagine how you would code that.  I am continually impressed by what people accomplish with this game.
Actually, there is a specific operation to make a scene prop react when struck with a weapon. It is the simplest method of operating it for now, but shouldn't take too much trouble to replace once I have everything else working right.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 05:42:33 AM »
Presumably reacting when "use" on the appropriate rear wheel would work the same as reacting when struck, and not look so crazy.

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 05:44:38 AM »
Yes, but its a fair bit more complicated. Don't worry. The way I'm doing it now is only temporary cop-out so that I can work on more important aspects of it.

Offline Winter

• I am Tek Jansen!
  • Administrator
  • MBX Forum owner
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »
No. In fact, when I last offered my services (with the early stages of my ship combat code) you actually rejected me.  :lol:

Well, yeah, I'm still not using any ship combat . . . :P

Please don't get me wrong, the only reason I didn't want to implement your code was because I wouldn't ever get a chance to use it.

Winter:  You turned down this guy's help first round?  Bad call.  Never turn down help.  80% of the major mods around here would have NEVER got off the ground if any offer of help had been turned down.

This wasn't an offer of general code help, just an offer of a specific block of code that (unfortunately) wasn't any good to me.

Regardless, I've always had high standards of code hygiene and neatness, so I rarely take on inexperienced people -- those I've worked with in the past have ended up doing not a jot of good because their code was so messy and full of holes that it'd take me longer to fix and recode than to write it from scratch. When I've tried to help them get their material up to snuff, they've mostly been uninterested, and all of them have flaked out on me sooner or later before contributing anything useful.

The only other coder who has ever contributed significant amounts of work to Storymod is Fisheye the magnificent. So the only reason Storymod has come this far is because of me working on it endlessly even though I know I shouldn't.

Offline Ron Losey

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 06:27:58 AM »
... working on it endlessly even when you know you shouldn't ...

That about describes all of us, I figure.

grailknighthero

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 08:41:58 AM »

[ -s $@ ] || rm -f $@

$(COMPILE) $< -o $@

what is that, Perl? Why are they teaching Perl? There are SO MANY better languages out there than Perl

Thats Perl?  I didnt know that.  It was with a compiler to make some makefile thing that only compiles the files we change instead of having to compile everything.  They do teach a Perl class here though and if that is Perl, Im not taking it.

... working on it endlessly even when you know you shouldn't ...
That about describes all of us, I figure.
That or haunting the forums when we shouldnt be.
Actually, there is a specific operation to make a scene prop react when struck with a weapon. It is the simplest method of operating it for now, but shouldn't take too much trouble to replace once I have everything else working right.
Ok, ya the code in scene props for the tutorial dummy.  I forgot about that.  Have you got the catapult to do damage yet? 

Grodsgenhaigen

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 03:20:25 PM »
Have you got the catapult to do damage yet? 
No. I only mod or play m+b on the weekends.