login

Author Topic: new rigging tool: fragMotion  (Read 3821 times)

Offline fujiwara

• Master
    • View Profile
new rigging tool: fragMotion
« on: November 04, 2007, 02:32:21 PM »
I found this hunting for graphics engines:

http://www.fragmosoft.com/

This tool focuses on animations and rigging, and imports and exports SMD files. Free to download, but is annoyware. Purchase price is $20 US. I was able to get a finished (textured and all) Wings model, exported as 3ds, rigged and in the game within 30 minutes. Learning curve is mild, but the import/export function tripped me up. You have to import the man_body.smd and delete the mesh, then Merge the target mesh file with the skeleton. After that, the rigging was a snap.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

grailknighthero

Re: new rigging tool: fragMotion
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:54:40 AM »
Did you auto assign the rigging or did you manually do it or both?

Offline fujiwara

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:32:59 PM »
I tried both; results will depend greatly on the complexity of the mesh. If the vertices generally follow the shape of the skeleton (most of the body/armor/clothing meshes in Native), then yes, auto-assigning to the bones should be the way to go. But if you've got a model with protrusions (the hitatare model for Onin no Ran has long, hanging sleeves) or other complexities, then you're better off manually assigning verts to bones. I recommend trying the auto assign first, then make sure the assignments are the way you want them. It's a great tool to bang out a lot of meshes in a hurry.

The horses tend to get their legs caught in the catapult rather than being properly launched.

grailknighthero

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:37:18 PM »
The model I had failed at auto assigning and I dont really know how to manually do it.