Author Topic: TLD 3.23 FAQ - my own attempt  (Read 2862 times)

Offline gowf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
TLD 3.23 FAQ - my own attempt
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »
I'm going to start my own game FAQ as I find a lot of repetition of the questions on the FAQ section. I'll update this as I go along so bear with me.
Also, is there a way to get a "hidebar"?

I've not played much as the evil factions. Please let me know if you want to add anything.

Are there any strategy guides etc?
yep.

Why cant I capture enemy commanders?
You can only capture them if you have the quest "capture enemy commander" active. As far as I know, if you have the quest active, your chances of capture are high, and dependant on your prisoner management skill. IF you attack an enemy commander on your own, you will usually capture him, but if you join in, this may not happen. AFAIK, this is due to M&B native mechanics.

Why cant I capture orcs/elves?
Only humans can be captured (true to lore) if you a good faction. If are evil, everyone is game for capture. Elves can never be captured if you are an evil side.

How do I gain rank and influence?
Rank is similar to the "renown" in M&B vanilla. You gain it by doing quests, fighting battles.
Rank points lets you gain rank in a particular faction.
Influence is gained at about 1/6 of rank. So if you fight a battle and gain 6 rank, you gain 1 influence. There are other ways of gaining influence as well.

I can only seem to get maximum of 13 rank in any battle.
This is coded. At most you can get 13 rank and 2 influence although if you assist others, you sometimes get two checks at rank, ie you can get 13+2 and then 13+2.
You can change the rate at which you gain these see below.
This also encourages people to do quests.

Can I change the rate at which I gain rank and influence?
Yes. Many thanks to Sirg for this.
You need to edit the scripts.txt file in your TLD module main folder.
See this thread.
You can essentially add a multiplier to the amount of rank and influence you normally get

Is there a list of items you can get for each faction and the influence cost?
See this thread.

What strength, agility etc should I aim for?
Thats up to you and your style. Keep in mind that I find around level 32, I am near end game.

Are there any + stats items such as books I should keep aware of to plan my character?
Yes.
+1 strength Tucarisil
+1 agility finswarisil
+1 leadership silmarillion
+1 leadership, +1 persuasion Light of Galadriel
+1 leadership, +1 charisma Horn of Gondor
+1 tactics On fall of gondolin
+1 power draw elven amulet
+1 riding Saddle of Thengel
+1 pathfinding map of middle earth
+ power strike sword of westernesse (weapon)
Keep in mind some of these are top tier rewards and may take you a long time to get to.
Nb:
The items stack ie +3 leadership if you get all the relevant items
If you get 2 exact same items, eg elven amulets, eg from Imladris and Mirkwood, only one applies.

How do I increase the number of troops I can hire?
increasing charisma and leadership
increase your rank level in a faction

I'm cant seem to recruit X companion
There are 3 things you need to meet.
1. The appropriate rank for a particular faction, eg for Galmyne, you need to be a "close friend of rohan"
2. You need a certain amount of influence
3. The city still needs to be around (esp Ulfas who is in west emnet which used to get razed quite early)

Is there a list of companions?
Yes. Check this thread.

There doesnt seem to be much action at the beginning of the game. Isnt there a war on?
The war doesnt start until you are level 8.
Use this time to get a few quests under your belt, get some companions, money and explore.

Why isnt Elrond coming to Gondor to help out?
The northern factions had their own hands full with a war too. If you help clear their enemies, Elrond might be inclined to help though... the same goes for Gondor armies

Where is the gold?
Resources replace gold. You have a bank account with each faction. Be careful if you are for example Rohan and you hire lots of elves - you may not have enough elf cash to sustain them.

How do I make resources?
1. Have a rank in a particular faction. Each higher level, eg friend of rohan, close friend of rohan etc allows you a daily income for that faction.
2. quests
3. Looting enemies. Either you get scrap metal or enemy weapons etc

I cant siege things??
Only allied leaders can siege enemies, to be faithful to lore.

What is faction strength? How do I increase allies/decrease enemies?
Its a complicated algorthm.
All factions regenerate strength over time.
Winning big battles gains strength, losing these decreases.
I believe that if you lose a lot of battles in a short period of time, you lose more, and vice versa.

Why isnt X sieging Y?
Only when a faction has been brought down to a certain strength can they be sieged.
Some cities, eg Cair Andros, have no such limit. You can check this limit in the faction strength report.
The limit is decided by (your level) x (a constant). The constant can be changed in the TLD options depending on how quickly you want the war to progress. Be warned, changing these will have dramatic effects on how quickly the war progresses. IF you set this on "none" - expect some early KOs!
Capital cities have a higher threshold for sieging (usually 1000 points more)

Why isnt Theoden sieging Isengard when it is well below the level that he can siege?
For lore purposes, Isengard, Caras Galadhon and Mordor is not siegable. They send out a last ditch army when they are under 1000 strength which you have to defeat to eliminate the faction.

Isengard is on 1600 strength but not sending any armies out...
Try sitting your army near the middle of the tower and they will come out.

How do I gain X trait?
See this thread

Is there a troop tree I can see?
See this. Thanks to Duha, it is a very nicely done site.

I keep on failing the Oath quest
You need to hit that particular faction hard, and on your own (ie dont join battles) and in a time frame. Not just major armies, but the scouts etc as well. Save before you start this quest, and make not that if it is a weakened faction, they may not be able to send out a lot of enemies for you to fight.

How do I shake off the Oathbreaker trait?
Successfully gain the oathkeeper trait.

Why is there no quests available from anyone?
I'm not sure if this is part of the M&B engine or coded in game. I find that if you wait a day or so you are eligible for a few quests, irrespective of who you speak to first.

I cant find those trolls in the quest
Yep, theyre fast. When you get the quest, they spawn at the location that they are supposed to be. However, other local armies, eg scouts will attack these. If anyone else attacks these, you fail the quest.
My advice is to save after you get the quest OR use the cheats.

Why are Beornings only taking 1/10th the resources for my scrap metal? Is this a bug?
I dont think so. I think its to do with the fact that Beornings dont value resource economy in lore.

What is the point in the "gift to another faction" quest?
Transfer resource points from one to the other.

What is the Fangorn forest quest about?
Its a secret...

Are there any other quests?
Yes.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:09:30 AM by gowf »

Offline gowf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: TLD 3.23 FAQ - my own attempt
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »
reserved

Offline gowf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »
reserved

Offline Merlkir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt online Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
Hey, pretty good. :)
Here's my gallery: http://merlkir.deviantart.com/

I'm now painting and drawing commissions. I'll paint portraits, pets, girlfriends, favourite characters..you name it. Send me a PM if interested ;)

Offline Lengua Muerta

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »
Wanna help :)

1) About capturing enemy commanders.
If the quest is active and you defeat an enemy host (either solo or after joining an ongoing battle), the enemy commander will be captured, nevertheless the Prisoner Management skill you have - I've always captured the commanders even with 1 point in that skill.
There are "rumors" in the FAQ, though, that say you can acttually capure an enemy commander without the quest, but that it is quite difficult if not impossible.

2) About capturing orcs.
Elves can't be captured either, even if playig as a evil human.

3) About besieging.
Explore TLD options and your game will change drastically. For example, and just to mention one of many radical changes that can be made, turning the Siege.Strength Requirements to 'None' wil make every city/camp/etc -even Capitals- a targt for evey faction to siege, regardless the Faction Strength.
I have seen Mordor comanders siege Minas Tirith when thr latter was 'Strong'.

Offline gowf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:10:25 AM »
Thanks Lengua
made some edits.

ps
Im hoping someone may be willing to write up a FAQ For the technical aspect - key issues such as windy flora, LAA etc. NOt sure if anyone still plays!?

Offline Beorn424

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »
Duha's troop tree seems to have been taken down so it might be a good idea to remove that.
Otherwise good work!